SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:54 AM
Australia, SA, Mt Gambier
Joined Mar 2012
80 Posts
Help!
HK Mini EPO 800mm glider

Been bashing up a mini swift for small fields and slope, waiting for a second one.
In the mean time have a hk mini epo waiting to build, what motor does anyone recomend and any other help ? Looks like the motor mounts behind the firewall .

cheers all

ron VK5AKJ (acheyJ)
acheyj is offline Find More Posts by acheyj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
I actually just got mine in the mail today (well Wednesday morning).
From a decent amount of research I decided on the Turnigy L2206A-1650, should have plenty enough power on a 2s. But I'm not 100% on the fit of it, I'll measure it all out tomorrow and see how the fit and finish will be in the end.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14735

-mdem
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Ok so I just had a quick look, the motor is a bit wider than the opening so youd need a little carving if you were to buy that motor.

heh looking over the model I cant' even figure out where the servos go inside the fuse. :s or how I'll mount everything inside. seems a strange design.

*edit*
well I found where the servos go, isn't the vest design at all even for a small plane, and even worse is the bloody stablator, i cant for the life of me figure this thing out, why on earth does it need to be this complex? ;s
i think maybe in the end i might build something myself out of plastic or metal, this wood is very flimsy, i broke a wish bone thing just by handling it :s

If you can figure it out that would be great ~ can you tell me?

thanks
-mdem
Last edited by mdem; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdem View Post
Ok so I just had a quick look, the motor is a bit wider than the opening so youd need a little carving if you were to buy that motor.

heh looking over the model I cant' even figure out where the servos go inside the fuse. :s or how I'll mount everything inside. seems a strange design.

*edit*
well I found where the servos go, isn't the vest design at all even for a small plane, and even worse is the bloody stablator, i cant for the life of me figure this thing out, why on earth does it need to be this complex? ;s
i think maybe in the end i might build something myself out of plastic or metal, this wood is very flimsy, i broke a wish bone thing just by handling it :s

If you can figure it out that would be great ~ can you tell me?

thanks
-mdem
Ok the stab fittings are very straight ahead once you are shown how, like yourself they had me bluffed, did a search on the net and all was revealed. Will have a look and see if I can find the url for you if not will get the close up camera out and post the setup. May have to be next day as have cattle work today, also recheck mine as to motor mount I like the 1806 for the pcb wire attachment.

ron
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
80 Posts
mdem

Found it

http://70.33.217.108/index.php?p=109...+-+Build+guide

hope it works, gotta go, will keep in touch, maybe start a thread on this glider as the price is right depends how it flys it could NOT tip stall worse than the mini swift !!! ( love the mini swift, keeps me alert)

ron
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:22 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
You mean the Mini Moose.
Great little plane if you do a few mods. Much better than my old Kinetic.
I run a 2730 3000kv blue wonder clone and it is devilishly fast.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785656

The worst part about this plane is the elevator mechanism. Very sloppy and fiddly to set up.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
You mean the Mini Moose.
Great little plane if you do a few mods. Much better than my old Kinetic.
I run a 2730 3000kv blue wonder clone and it is devilishly fast.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785656

The worst part about this plane is the elevator mechanism. Very sloppy and fiddly to set up.
Many thanks brett.c
Been wondering how it flies now must get mine going, have a lot of fun with theses baby gliders in the back paddock on a windy day. There is another one from hk that is bigger than 800mm and has an optional mid mounted pod that looks a goer. Would like to enclose the motor and fit a spinner on the "moose".
ANYTHING has to be better than the mini swift, to which I am addicted.

ron
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Thanks for the links guy, have helped me understand the strange design a lot lol, looking at the stablator I'm deciding to not use the wood and go with something else I think, but I'll see how it goes. otherwise sticking a bunch of CF into it to make it ridge
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
The wooden mech does work ok once you mod a few things.
I believe the Merlin or Kinetic bits might fit. You can buy them as a parts kit.

I have another moose still in its box. Been thinking about going wingerons with that one so the tail plane will be fixed.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Yeah i'm getting the plastic parts from the merlin set, have it on order.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:53 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Just in case anyone want to persist with the stock elevator arrangement I took some pics from my spare moose.

The collet on this one was different from my other plane and was a bit too wide, therefore I needed to file it down a bit.

The plastic horn attachment needs to be drilled out so that it fits onto the screw. If you go slightly undersize then you can thread it on.

There is a black square section of carbon/glass that is meant to be used as a guide for the pushrod. I found that it caused too much binding so I ditched it and cut away the foam ridges in the fuse. I then used thicker gauge wire with a pushrod connector on the servo arm for adjustment.

The bottom of the elevator servo pocket was cut away to allow access, like the Kinetic This doesn't weaken the fuse any as it is plenty strong after you fit the fibre rods along its length.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:00 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
So I was just going over all my parts I got with this plane and noticed that I'm missong the plastic thing to connect the servo wire to the elevator.. augh

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sgrbwf9zn...lider-sub3.jpg

What to do now ~.~
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdem View Post
What to do now ~.~
Wait for the Merlin parts

Hobbyking has them but shipping would be a killer.

Wouldn't be too hard to make something similar though.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
Wait for the Merlin parts

Hobbyking has them but shipping would be a killer.

Wouldn't be too hard to make something similar though.
I'm hoping the package I bought has everything I need. I got http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXDF7&P=7 ordered, It's already send (so TH said) will be here 1-2 weeks.

I also talked to CS with Hobbyking and they told me to send an email since CS doesn't do missing parts.
I sent an email with what was missing and I'm hoping they come through and just send it to me.. Haven't really ever had a problem with HK, this is first time anything major happen.
Either way my build is stuck in the box while I wait for parts from wither TH or HK lol.

I'll look through my toolbox and garage and see if I can maybe make a mock up so I can start, and paint the foam. Need to find some good foam safe paint. ~.~
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:14 PM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Hobbyking and customer service is an oxymoron.
So good luck with that one. Never had any success with them myself.
A piece of plastic and a file will be a lot quicker and far less frustrating.

EPO is ok with just about any paint. I used plain old enamel for the orange bits.

In fact, when I was building this plane I stumbled across a way to clean up the furries you get after sanding EPO. I was trying to clean up some excess glue on the fuse using a dab of GP thinners on a rag. Not only did it clean off the glue but it also made areas which had been sanded nice and smooth again. The foam goes a bit tacky for a while but eventually hardens up again.