HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:33 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Build Log
The Travelling Tadpole - Britplan Build Off January 2013 to June 2013

Well after much thought and procrastination I've decided to have a go at Eric Clutton's Tadpole for this build-off. The plan can be found on the Outerzone here:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3685

The reason for all the thought was I wanted a model for travelling and holiday purposes, and my first choice "Triplet" was too new as a design as per the rules. However whilst browsing the Outerzone I came across the Tadpole and thought it might be developed into what I wanted with a few small structural alterations.....so here goes another entry, The Travelling Tadpole. Or 3T for short!

Cheers
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:43 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Glad you are "in" Ian, I shall be watching with interest.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,652 Posts
This may have been posted somewhere already - Tadpole construction article from May 1965 RCM&E.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:12 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
This may have been posted somewhere already - Tadpole construction article from May 1965 RCM&E.

Ray
Thanks for taking the trouble to post this Ray. The article is actually included in the PDF download from the Outerzone, excellent service!

It makes for interesting reading, especially the trimming and flying bit. I don't particularly want a one speed aeroplane going round in circles (as much fun as it obviously was) all the time so we are going to have to invest in a bit of an update.

Cheers
Ian
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:20 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
We have a plan....

Well a start has been made. I found much to my surprise that the latest version of the free Foxit PDF reader that I use will print out a tiled image. So something good did come out of the latest computer crash, thank you Windoze!

I've also selected a bit of balsa from the stash, surprising what you can collect over the years from projects that never quite got going....

Cheers
Ian
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:29 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Nearly a wing

Well after a bit of time with the scales some nice 1/4" balsa has been selected for the wing and the parts cut out for each half. I'm using 5lb for the larger rear section and 9lb for the front. Quite light really but even so we are looking at 60g for the wing in this raw state. Obviously that'll come down with the slimming aids of balsa plane and permagrit block, but it shows how creating a bit of a "porker" of a T3 would be all too easy.

Cheers
Ian
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:35 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Off to a flier Ian! Reading the comment about not just wanting to fly in circles I take it you will be using elevons??
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:43 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,705 Posts
Ian, that’s an interesting choice. I’ve built a couple of 36” wings, about 13 oz auw and they fly great on 75 w of power. And they do seem to tolerate a bit of wind. Good luck with the build.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:55 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,114 Posts
Please, no elevons!

Eric's Tadpole was designed as a Single Channel model and as such flies very well with nothing but rudder control. You dont need anything else!

It is quite hard to launch straight, but we sussed the technique in the end!

Incidentally, Eric emailed me a short while ago as he wanted to build a Taddy again and had lost his original plans!

Cheers
Phil www.singlechannel.co.uk
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Oh Oh Controversy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
Please, no elevons!

Eric's Tadpole was designed as a Single Channel model and as such flies very well with nothing but rudder control. You dont need anything else!

Cheers
Well in answer to George's question and not wanting to upset Phil here goes...
What I'm hoping to do with the T3 is to take what is already a fun design and extend its repertoire as a take anywhere model, and that includes up on the slopes. To do that I think I'm going to need waggly bits on the wings. In practice I may find I don't need them, in which case I can lock them off. But it is going to be easier to design and build in three servos, elevons and an electric motor now than hack around later. So that's the cunning plan. Given that my track record at "improving" and "designing" is not great you may find yourselves witness to some comedy/tragic moments, but it's all good fun.

Cheers
Ian

PS You still with us Phil?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:18 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Ian, that’s an interesting choice. I’ve built a couple of 36” wings, about 13 oz auw and they fly great on 75 w of power. And they do seem to tolerate a bit of wind. Good luck with the build.
John
Hi John
Thanks for the guidance, very useful. This is in fact my seventh flying wing but will be only the third powered type. The first powered one which I still have is the epp Unicorn. This flies brilliantly on just a speed 400 and eight cells, so well in fact I have removed the motor and use it as a slope soarer the wing design is that good! Much better than the Zagi IMHO.

The second powered wing was a modified sort of own design powered again by a speed 400. It was not a success and quite frankly best forgotten..... In fact the best thing about it was the final crash, loudest I've ever had!

Hopefully I will have more success with the T3.

Thanks again.
Ian
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:52 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Quote:
Please, no elevons!

It is quite hard to launch straight, but we sussed the technique in the end!

Incidentally, Eric emailed me a short while ago as he wanted to build a Taddy again and had lost his original plans!

Cheers
I know where you are coming from Phil, but for what Ian wants the model for, IMO some form of pitch control is essential, especially as he envisages slope soaring. From experience slope soaring without pitch control is like banging your head against a brick wall - nice when you stop! Since there are going to be waggly bits on the wing tips, it would make all sorts of sense to arrange, via the mixing capabilities of modern radio, to use them for roll control as well, although I agree rudder would probably work just as well in this instance.

Another Clutton design, the famous Sharkface, is great fun to fly rudder only with an escapement or pulse rudder, and we enjoyed it that way back in the day. HOWEVER, great fun becomes an absolute blast when the Sharkface is equipped with RET propo and a 140 watt electric motor. No disrespect to the original model or designer, it is just a whole new dimension.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:16 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,114 Posts
Heres my pal Shaun's Tadpole, built to plan but electric.

The Sharkface is one of my all-time favourites.
Heres my current Sharky, number 5 (or is it 6? I forget)
Single channel, bang-bang rudder only, it flies at every opportunity, its a real blast! Loops, rolls, screaming low passes...

PS when it comes to hair-on-chest claims & counter-claims, remember Eric flew his S/C on a PAW 1.5cc diesel!
PPS we fly S/C slope soarers too - no problem, and great fun! Loads of suitable designs - Veron Impala, Moonbeam2, Slinky, Wizard of Oz, Midwest Lil' T, Headbutt, Soarcerer, etc - all purpose-designed S/C slopers!
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Jan 20, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:32 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Quote:
PS when it comes to hair-on-chest claims & counter-claims, remember Eric flew his S/C on a PAW 1.5cc diesel!
Yep, and my flying buddy the late John Harrison flew his with one TD.049 in the nose and one in a pylon strapped on top of the wing! With them both turning Topflite 6 x 3 props on Nitrex 30 the performance and sound was - memorable! He did have an elevator on it though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:39 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Design Influence/Inspiration No1

Well it is certainly not my intention to strap a brace of nitro snorting TD's to the T3!

No this this is going to be a "stealthy" Tadpole, one that can be quickly whipped from its box, rigged, flown and put away without so much as causing a butterfly to break wind....well you know what I mean.

Anyway this inspiration came about because some time ago Ray made reference to Peter Russell's 384 design here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=75

This was PR's idea on a model that you can take on a walk and just fly if the opportunity presents itself. Ray very kindly forwarded the original article and plan from RCM&E and it was there I saw PR's talent at work on the packable model. The 384 has folding wings with a simple fabric hinge on the underside. The wings are clamped together with rubber bands in the centre and with the wing bands take care of negative G. A single flying wire passing under the fuselage braces the wings for positive G. So simple and light, and importantly nothing (joiners) to get lost or forgotten.

So that's what I'm going to do on the T3.

Cheers
Ian