SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jul 2005
174 Posts
Hello. I'm trying to decide between this camera and a GoPro Silver.
I have a couple concerns/questions.
1) How susceptible is the HHDv3 to vibrations compared to the GoPro Silver? I will be flying it in a quadcopter, NOT a smooth airplane like 99% of the people on this forum.
2) Can anyone comment on the resolution sent to the video goggles (Fat shark). I will be flying my quadcopter much lower than an airplane and being able to see telephone wires and fence wire (not posts), is very important.
Thank you for your time assisting me.
What determines the video quality on the goggles?
1) Screen resolution on the goggles
or
2) Transmission properties of the video transmitter
or
3) Video quality out of the camera used to transmit the signal (not the 1080p recording).
serpa4 is online now Find More Posts by serpa4
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
Great White North
Joined Dec 2005
741 Posts
No Menu

Deleted, problems fixed, I reflashed the system.

Robert
qbert55ca is offline Find More Posts by qbert55ca
Last edited by qbert55ca; Feb 22, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:35 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Dec 2012
40 Posts
Fu,
There is a firmware upgrade for the V3 already?
kclark069 is offline Find More Posts by kclark069
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 AM
Australia, QLD, Murrumba Downs
Joined Jul 2011
39 Posts
I reeived my Horyzon HD camera today but there was no three way switch in the box is it standard or an extra
fredor is offline Find More Posts by fredor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:33 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
130 Posts
The three way switch is an optional extra.
Exaturbo is online now Find More Posts by Exaturbo
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:52 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Can't pick up anything from searching - but is there any way to avoid recording immediately on startup? I'm having to stop recording every time I start up to test something - it's a pain (If I don't the SDCard corrupts). And there are many wasted little files.

Also - I wanted to remove the screen (Like my version 1 and 2), but when I opened my v3, the connectors are glued in by a red substance! Any way to remove this without risking damage?
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:58 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark069 View Post
Fu,
There is a firmware upgrade for the V3 already?
Yes, see first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert55ca View Post
I just received your V3 and did the two firmware upgrades.

Now it turn on but I can not get any menu to appear, any ideads?

Robert
Are you keeping the menu button depressed for 3 seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
Hello. I'm trying to decide between this camera and a GoPro Silver.
I have a couple concerns/questions.
1) How susceptible is the HHDv3 to vibrations compared to the GoPro Silver? I will be flying it in a quadcopter, NOT a smooth airplane like 99% of the people on this forum.
2) Can anyone comment on the resolution sent to the video goggles (Fat shark). I will be flying my quadcopter much lower than an airplane and being able to see telephone wires and fence wire (not posts), is very important.
Thank you for your time assisting me.
What determines the video quality on the goggles?
1) Screen resolution on the goggles
or
2) Transmission properties of the video transmitter
or
3) Video quality out of the camera used to transmit the signal (not the 1080p recording).
All I can say is the field of view is narrow, and the image is cropped on all four sides, so you lose image size AND resolution. It's not a lot of fun using this as a FPV camera. The sample rate is lower than a GoPro 3, so it might be a little more susceptible to vibration.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:01 AM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
762 Posts
[QUOTE=heinduplessis;24212775]Can't pick up anything from searching - but is there any way to avoid recording immediately on startup? I'm having to stop recording every time I start up to test something - it's a pain (If I don't the SDCard corrupts). And there are many wasted little files.

maybe fit a switch in the power feed to the Horyzon and when your ready to fly just switch it on, just a thought ???
ray
teccer1234 is offline Find More Posts by teccer1234
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:25 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teccer1234 View Post
maybe fit a switch in the power feed to the Horyzon and when your ready to fly just switch it on, just a thought ???
ray
Thanks but please no!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:07 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Dec 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Yes, see first post.
My question is for Fu,

I ordered mine after the first post, on Feb 05, 2013. Do I still need to upgrade the firmware?
kclark069 is offline Find More Posts by kclark069
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
Great White North
Joined Dec 2005
741 Posts
Change your start up to camera. then when you are ready to go switch to video and record. when you land just press the button to switch back to camera and the file sets and is good from there on.

Robert

[QUOTE=teccer1234;24212805]
Quote:
Can't pick up anything from searching - but is there any way to avoid recording immediately on startup? I'm having to stop recording every time I start up to test something - it's a pain (If I don't the SDCard corrupts). And there are many wasted little files.

ray
qbert55ca is offline Find More Posts by qbert55ca
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:21 AM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
762 Posts
Quote:
Thanks but please no!
obviously you didn't like my suggestion but it was just a quick thought, on my V2 because I sometimes had a problem with the cam not starting up when I connected the power to the tri I put a short M/F lead from the M5 on my KK2 board to outside the plastic housing I've got on the tri to keep the sand out then when I'm ready to fly I just connect the camera lead into the short lead, the cam starts then I fly.

I'm getting a V3 soon and I'll have the same problem as you with the vid starting up on connection so I'll do the same as on my V2 with a short lead.
just another idea thrown in but each to they're own as they say

or follow Robert's advice
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:21 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teccer1234 View Post
obviously you didn't like my suggestion but it was just a quick thought, on my V2 because I sometimes had a problem with the cam not starting up when I connected the power to the tri I put a short M/F lead from the M5 on my KK2 board to outside the plastic housing I've got on the tri to keep the sand out then when I'm ready to fly I just connect the camera lead into the short lead, the cam starts then I fly.

I'm getting a V3 soon and I'll have the same problem as you with the vid starting up on connection so I'll do the same as on my V2 with a short lead.
just another idea thrown in but each to they're own as they say

or follow Robert's advice
I'm surprised that there isn't firmware available for this. It has 4 buttons already - adding another... :/ Robert's advice?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
serpa4. I had the V2 and it was great for FPV. I suspect the person who said it wouldn't be good hasn't used it. You can also easily attach it to a small pan tilt camera mount. I used 180 rotation Turnigy TGY-R5180MG servos for both pan and tilt. The camera lens also gives a more natural view than the GoPro wide angle lens. The transmitted signal is limited by the bandwidth of your video Tx which at the time of writing are low res not HD but so are the current FatShark goggles (I use the new SDs). I wouldn't worry about that the on board recorded image is very nice quality and the transmitted signal is fine with decent goggles. The only downside, and it was major one for me was even with the UHF mod the camera generated a lot of noise at 459Mhz (UK legal UHF freq). After seeing a video of my plane motor constantly cutting out I lost patience with it and sold it. Foxtech didn't offer me any help, I even opened it up (my last clear heat shrink) and sent in pictures of the UHF mod. Its a shame since I really like the camera but I'm hesitant to get the V3. I saw Bruce's video but it wasn't convincing and I couldn't see where 459MHz was on his spectrum analyser video. I've just bought an RF Explorer spectrum analyser so I can check for noisy electronics. I used to have the camera LCD screen off during flight but even with that off it generated a lot of UHF noise. But for 2.4GHz it was a great FPV camera.
stewjw is offline Find More Posts by stewjw
Last edited by stewjw; Feb 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:30 AM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
762 Posts
[QUOTE=heinduplessis;24225193]I'm surprised that there isn't firmware available for this. It has 4 buttons already - adding another..!!.

I agree with your comments about the above.

Roberts advice ///////////the post 1 before my last.

ray