Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
7,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Nice photos, Mike! Thanks for that!

Mike Lee
I live 5mins from the field so I can also see them flying by my house. I fly electic up there on Fridays
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:08 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
4,940 Posts
Nice!

Photo #41 is the best! Great to see a lady flying... and landing so well too!
Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:15 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,517 Posts
Great pics, do you mind if I steel a few for the FB page?
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,339 Posts
Great contest, SULA. It was refreshing to fly all four rounds even though we got a late start (thanks, Mr. Gate Man). This is an excellent field with some challenging conditions...hope to see more contests there.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,851 Posts
+1 to Tom's statement above....
The last round was BRUTAL! But that is a great way to learn.
It was fine w/o the retrievers. I don't mind shagging chutes.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:43 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,517 Posts
Posted some pics on the fb page

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Sc2Soaring
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,594 Posts
To all of the SULA members. Thank you for a great event. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and had a lot of fun. It was my first SC2 contest at a challenging field as evidenced by my scores. As for shagging the chutes, well the pictures are evidence I need to walk more. I look forward to next month at SWSA.

Sherpa
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:33 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
7,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Great pics, do you mind if I steel a few for the FB page?
Take all you want
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,705 Posts
Many Thanks to the SULA guys for a fun get together. I was a little surprised to be infromed at signin that ALES was only a provisional event, without awards.
I also didn't see the scores in the final results so it looks like there was no ALES contest even flown....
Why the luke warm support towards ALES after advertising that there was an ALES Class in SC2 comps this season??? I find myself wondering why I paid an entry fee to give an ALES demonstration Sunday?? Next time be sure to announce that the ALES class is not official and hence offers no return to the competitor. If I had known this before the contest I would have flown RES..LJ

This is what was posted over in the ALES thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782398
So I was understandably confused.......
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
At least post the scores.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:11 PM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
280 Posts
Hi Larry and Dennis,

Let me clarify some comments I made during the pilot's meeting and the intent. When I said provisional, I meant that we are trying to gauge participation in the event and determine if we will continue it next year. We have been burned by promises of participation and then initially lots to begin with and then it disappears. We will have ribbons for each of the contests that have the ALES classes, not all of the fields can support having ALES at their field. We want to have participation and are trying to encourage it, I will be trying to get my plane in the air and competing. It will hopefully boost participation and provide new blood into the circuit. The circuit was started earlier this year than normal and not all pilots have gotten their planes ready, but hopefully will get it going soon.

Second, the lack of publication of scores. The current program being used for most of SC2 scoring is an Excel program put together by Gene Hayes. The problem with Excel is that eventually you run out of room in the spreadsheet to add more contestants and classes. We hit both issues this year, we need more room for the Expert class for adding contestants and we have added two more new classes to the spreadsheet. We are going through the spreadsheet for the short term until a new program is in place to handle the additional requirements. The publication of the scores previously has been done by exporting out of the Excel spreadsheet and then adding to the website. Without the scores being in Excel, I was not able to publish the ALES scores. As soon as I am able to get the scores entered into Excel, I will publish the scores. This was not my intent to make the ALES look like an orphan child.

I hope this calms some issues around having the ALES in the SC2 circuit this year.

If you have anymore questions or concerns, contact me directly and I will answer as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Terry Throop
CD SULA SC2
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:46 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,517 Posts
Thanks Terry, I think that clears things up. I think 99% of the people had a great time, and we had a great turnout.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,705 Posts
Terry and Ali,
I would like to make a few suggestions. If you are going to run an ALES event then support it like you would any other class. You are collecting entry fees and the ALES guys are not using anything but your landing spots.... If you are concerned about awards for a limited class then give fewer awards as you might for 2 meter. If you really want to see this thing go then put some effort in to it. If money is the issue, look for interested parties to help sponsor them. It is obvious that ALES could be come a big part of any event. It makes launches equal, the launch is on the pilot, and it should make more places flyable as it rquires a smaller foot print. And make sure the ALES scores show up in the final results...
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,945 Posts
You guys ran a super fun event and did a great job! Thank you for all if your efforts. :-)

I also think Larry's frustration is understandable. It's really as simple as, if the ALES class is a category then it should be scored. Even if Larry was the only guy in the category. :-0))))

Now, for me, I'm not quite clear as to If it should be scored with everyone launching on a winch. I don't think that will work because the ALES always launches to a certain height. This might be an advantage to the ALES or to the winch launchers. I don't think it matters who the advantage goes to, but it is clear that it is different. And therefore because it's different they should be scored separately.

So it comes back to Larry's point: if the ALES category is promoted then it should get scored.

I also agree with Larry this category really could take off and it should be supported.

Again I want to say that you guys ran a great event and I really enjoyed myself and so did my son Koby. Thank you and I look forward to more TD competitions this season.

Kyle
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:53 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Paulson View Post
You guys ran a super fun event and did a great job! Thank you for all if your efforts. :-)

I also think Larry's frustration is understandable. It's really as simple as, if the ALES class is a category then it should be scored. Even if Larry was the only guy in the category. :-0))))

Now, for me, I'm not quite clear as to If it should be scored with everyone launching on a winch. I don't think that will work because the ALES always launches to a certain height. This might be an advantage to the ALES or to the winch launchers. I don't think it matters who the advantage goes to, but it is clear that it is different. And therefore because it's different they should be scored separately.

So it comes back to Larry's point: if the ALES category is promoted then it should get scored.

I also agree with Larry this category really could take off and it should be supported.

Again I want to say that you guys ran a great event and I really enjoyed myself and so did my son Koby. Thank you and I look forward to more TD competitions this season.

Kyle
It did get scored, as Terry wrote above the scores will be posted as soon as they sort out some issues.

Larry was NOT the only one out there flying as he would like to make everyone think. There where several others flying ALES, me included. I can't speak for SC2 because I'm not on the board or anything. I was just trying my hardest to get some interest in the event. That is why I posted a notification in the ALES forum.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by ak79; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Closed Thread