SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2003, 07:48 PM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
Rave
Aerohawk going strong and learning quickly!

Well, so far so good with the Aerohawk. I have about 20 flights on it so far and it's flying very nicely. I'm still flying in the hangar, as we've had some high winds here. The hangar floor is slick concrete and very forgiving, if I screw up, it just slides around, nothing to catch on. I ditched the training gear after about 5 flights and it flies so much nicer without it. No major crashes yet, but did break a tail rotor blade, slid over a drain grate and the tail rotor hit. I've been doing figure 8's and some back and forth stuff doing a quick stop on each end, and a pedal turn to go back. This sure is fun, I see why you all are so freakin addicted!! My home made head stiffner seems to be working nicely, forward flight seems very controllable, but my distance and speeds are limited by the size of the hangar. Although I've had it ripping along because I lost it, and pull the throttle, yank it back and she settles right back into a hover, so controllability seems good. Both motors seem to be holding up well, hovers at about half throttle with a fresh pack to start with. I'm considering adding a direct drive tail rotor, the stock setup seems adequate, but as would be expected, left pedal turns are somewhat slow and take a lot of stick. How is the current draw with the direct setup vs. the stock setup. I'm going to stay with the 2 batteries I have, and bought 2 more for 10 bucks each and an inexpensive quick charger, so I don't want to add a bunch more current draw.
Thanks to all who have posted here, I have learned so much here, would have been frustrating without such a good knowledge base we have here.
More to come I hope!
Chris
PT13Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PT13Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:23 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Hello Chris,
I just bought an aerohawk also and I am waiting for it to be delivered. I have been flying electric airplanes for more than 2 years so I have a little experience. What do I have to look out for on my first flights with the aerohawk?

thanks
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:56 PM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
Hi PC,
See my origional post here for some things I did to mine and the first few flights. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=180214
Didn't get to fly today, been sicker than a dog, hope to fly more tomorrow.
Merry Christmas to all!
CJ
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:53 AM
coventry uk
Joined Nov 2002
824 Posts
PT13Pilot

what battery pack are you using as i have tried a 2s 1200 etec pack but find i cannot get above 4" of the ground, also i'm using training gear. thinking of using 3s if the board will take it. using 3s means i need to pull less amps due to the higher voltage. just hope the board holds up.

t.n
t.nollett is offline Find More Posts by t.nollett
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:20 PM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
T.N.,
I'm using the stock battery packs for now. I haven't had a power problem at all so far. I can climb up as high as I want in the hangar. They don't last all that long, but I can't complain so far. I'm like you, I'm a little scared of frying the board trying other types of batteries. I took the training gear off of mine, performed better, and I've been flying off of a slick concrete floor, so it just slides around if you land with some speed.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:43 PM
coventry uk
Joined Nov 2002
824 Posts
first flight to day up the park on the basket ball court, a bit breezy
so trimming was impossible. got a dd tail motor. might go brushless. going to try 3s at the indoor meeting on the 27th, nice smooth surface.
t.n
t.nollett is offline Find More Posts by t.nollett