HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
Discussion
Using status indicator to help locate downed model

One of the things I use the Nano for is to operate the de-thermalizer on free flight model and it seems to me that you should be able to use the transmitter to help locate a downed model, maybe by putting it in range test mode and putting some type shield over the antenna to make it directional any thoughts as to if this might be feasible?
RICHARD3851 is offline Find More Posts by RICHARD3851
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:10 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,494 Posts
Yep, you can definitely locate a down model with our system. I did! I crashed a jet many years ago in a corn field in Ohio. I turned off the transmitter and to my dismay turning it back on did not reconnect the system. So, I started walking through the tall corn field trying to locate the plane. I just happened to look at my transmitter (which was still on) and noticed the LED was green and it was connected! So, I turned it off and turn it back on... nothing. Knowing that the strongest point of the antenna is the side, I turned in a circle until the transmitter connected. I then turned it off and on again and try it again, turning from the other direction. I was able to locate the 'center' between where both sides of my turn did not connect. I ended up walking right to the plane!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
would taking a carbon fiber tube and cutting say a 1/4" slot in it, keep it in your pocket and if you had to locate a model, slide it over the antenna. would this make the antenna more directional? Could doing this cause any damage to the transmitter? If this would work how would you accomplish the same thing on the new transmitter with its internal antenna?

Richard
RICHARD3851 is offline Find More Posts by RICHARD3851
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:36 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,494 Posts
Yes, that would actually help reject the signal from everywhere except the slot. This won't hurt anything.

You could also use your body with an internal antenna.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Feb 2007
125 Posts
"You could also use your body with an internal antenna."

Interesting! But,I'm not putting an antenna inside MY body as a plane locator!
KB9STD is offline Find More Posts by KB9STD
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:50 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,494 Posts
Since 2.4GHz is fully absorbed by water, the signal would be blocked by your body.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:19 PM
SailPlane'r
wernersville, Pa
Joined May 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB9STD View Post
"You could also use your body with an internal antenna."

Interesting! But,I'm not putting an antenna inside MY body as a plane locator!
(LOL), No, you just need to hold the tx close to your chest so your body shields it from the planes rf.

Ham radio types call this fox hunting, but we call it, "getting our plane back"

C Luft
cluft is offline Find More Posts by cluft