HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:54 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Discussion
Seeking suggestions for next scratch build

I'm just about finished with my first scratch build, a 58" Bucker Jungmeister. I'm afraid I got hooked. Not being real knowledgeable on the history of aircraft I thought I'd ask for a little help in deciding on the next project. The problem I'm having is that I want to build something with retracts, but I'm not crazy about warplanes, and I want something with a light wing loading and easy to fly. Preferably civilian, but maybe a military type trainer, but AT-6's are a little too common. Are all you aviation buffs feeling challenged yet? I'd like something in the 60" - 75" span range, but I can resize plans if need be, which would be another first for me. Seems there aren't too many civil aircraft with retracts? Other than jets of course, no thanks, low and slow is more my style.
Thanks for your help!

Doug
dglo is online now Find More Posts by dglo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:02 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,471 Posts
You could stay the Teutonic course, and go for a Messerschmitt 108 Taifun! There's even plans from Traplet. Hmmmm..... that even has me thinking now! I actually got to sit in the cockpit of one in New Zealand (ZK-WFI) and wiggle the controls and push the leading edge slats in. Very cool.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:07 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
How about a Toucano? Nice lines. Or if you want to stay in the biplanes, a Beech Staggerwing?
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:50 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Both great suggestions. The 108 is cool but the traplet plans are for a 77" span with foam wings. The Toucano is a little too "modern" for my taste. I have wanted to build a staggerwing for years, I've done a lot of searching and I haven't found a plan that was designed for electric in the mid-size range. I guess I could buy either the royal 56" or the cleveland models plans and see what I can do to lighten the airframe. Don't know if I'm up to that challenge. It would have to be pretty light to allow for the weight of retracts and flaps, and I'd really like to use the 3s 5000mah lipos I had to jetison from the jungmeister build. Any thoughts or other suggestions? Not opposed to doing a twin either.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:19 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,922 Posts
If you want a twin there are a bunch to choose from. Just have to find the right drawings.

Bamboo bomber, Piper Apache, C-310, Twin Beech. Then there are the twin airliners, DC-3 up to the Dash-8.

For singles the Beech 35, Bellanca Viking, Mooneys, heck, even Cessnas.

For a real challenge do a Cessna Mixmaster

There was a Staggerwing done in here (nfhill if I remember right). I enlarged a set of his plans but haven't done anything with them yet. Don't remember what span, 54" maybe.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229942

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,518 Posts
How about a DH 104 Dove? My plan is available from Traplet at 67" span IIRC so modestly sized and the retracts legs are nice and short. All built up construction and the weights (I have found some data from way back - copied below) are for brushed motors and Nicad power so with the batteries you have and brushless motors your weight will be well under 4 pound and duration at least 10 mins.

DeHavilland DH104 Dove/Devon
By Robin Fowler

This electric model has all controls including flaps and home-built retracts and has now flown several times. Smooth and scale like in the air it is a delight to fly. The plan is due to be published in the July edition of RCMW.

Dove Data.
Wing span: 67 inches
Length: 45.5 inches
Wing area: 439 square inches.
All up weight: 4 pounds 13 ounces.
Wing loading: 25.6 ounces / square foot.
Motors: 2, 7.2 volt standard buggy motors.
Props: 2, Master Airscrew 8x6. Direct Drive.
Power: 7 cells 2 amp-hour capacity.
Speed controller: M’Sonic ‘Tempo’.
Flight times: Approximately 5 minutes.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,147 Posts
Most trainers or civilian types do not have retracts.

A nice PT23 would be cool, but fixed gear
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
How about a Ryan Navion. Not overdone, designed by North American Aviation, retractable trike gear. Old Berkeley plans may be available. Here's a link to Cleveland plans in various scales, you did say "scratch" didn't you. The sliding canopy may require vacuum molding.

http://www.clevelandairline.com/ASP/PRODUCT.asp (Enter North American Aviation, Light Civilian, and Post WWII)

wiki description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Navion
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:29 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,147 Posts
Mooney "MITE"?
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:14 AM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
616 Posts
If you're looking for something really out of the rut, a classic civilian light aircraft with retractable undercarriage and that's barely modelled, how about the Heston Phoenix?

http://www.historicaircraft.org/Gold...n-Phoenix.html

There is a plan available for free download here:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2448

... Although I can't really vouch for it's accuracy, an rc conversion has been done and documented online with an attached video of the maiden here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67575
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:05 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,518 Posts
That's yet another interesting type I haven't previously come across Pete.
I like the front screen of the one in the photo much better than the ones later modelled.
Another temptation... I'm quickly running out of life!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:14 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
How about a Nice Globe Swift?
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:09 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Lots of good suggestions here. Lots to ponder and research. The Heston Phoenix is very interesting! A high wing monoplane with retracts from the 30's? How many of those are out there? The build thread you linked to is for a 36" span but I'd like to build it a bit bigger to carry a 3s 5000 lipo. Suggested sizes?

My heart keeps coming back to the Staggerwing also. Charlie, did you say you enlarged some plans? Which ones did you enlarge? 54" span sounds about right. Don't know which plan would be the best to modify for a lightweight e-flyer.
BTW, still interested in the new plans of Ivans chipmunk, no retracts, but oleos would be cool. Is that plan available yet?

Doug
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,922 Posts
Doug,

I enlarged nfhill's plans. His was 36" I think. The little one flies really well (a friend out here built it) so I figured larger would be good. I have not tried to build it yet. Contact Hill from the thread and see if he still has plans.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:24 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Another relatively obscure aircraft, the Alcor C.6.1:

Paul Matt has drawings, but don't know offhand of any others.

And the previous suggestion of a Bellanca is seconded here! While it has been modeled more frequently than the Aclor, it is still a pretty classy aircraft:

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce