HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
First and Last time for Hobbypartz.com

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Hobbypartz to everyone here.

First of all I have been out of the hobby since the very first Emaxx came out and I am officially coming back! I decided to order everything I needed (Picked up a savage flux hp, ordered my charger from maxamps, and ordered 2x2s batteries from hobby partz) .

I was looking to get this all in before the weekend so I went ahead and put a rush order with each vendor. When I was completing the check out for hobbypartz for my two batteries I of course checked the "next day air " option which was readily available for me to check, clicked continue so they could proceed to charge me the 200$ it would cost .

About 12 hours later they email me saying that my shipment is on hold because their carrier does not provide express shipping for lipo batteries? A quick google showed that there had been some international policy changes for LiPo , understandable. What is NOT understandable is taking my 200$ that I will now have to wait over a week for, and then telling me after the fact that I can't have my batteries in a rush (which they knew of before the transaction) which is the whole intention of buying them with next day air.

In the email they sent, they provided one California number (Probably a VOIP from china) which constantly rings busy, been trying to call them since 9am this morning over 40 times throughout the day not one answer (to their argument they did try calling today during work which I could not answer) .

I've emailed them twice since the initial email I received from then, have yet to hear an answer. This is the first time I have ever ordered anything from Hobbypartz and it will most certainly be the last time. Shady business practices leave a bad taste in my mouth. Waiting on a refund so I can order batteries from HobbyKing. I will happily wait the extra time to get my money back just so I can give it to another vendor. Never again.
Sirmilkbox is offline Find More Posts by Sirmilkbox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:20 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Doesn't sound shady in the least bit. It sounds like you didn't read the clearly noted disclaimer on their checkout page about Lipo shipments. The one that said this:

NOTICE: Effective May 16, 2012 the Postal Service™ Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Serves, listed in the Domestic Mail Manual section 601.10.20, codify that primary lithium metal, lithium polymer, lithium alloy (non-rechargeable) cells and batteries or secondary lithium-ion cells and batteries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internationally, and to or from an APO, FPO, or DPO location. Until such time that a less restrictive policy can be implemented consistent with international standards, and in accordance with UPU (Universal Postal Union) HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech will not ship lithium batteries that are not permitted in international mail in addition to Alaska and Hawaii.

The Department of Transportation’s (DOT) regulation for shipping Lithium batteries has taken notice of the additional hazard material handling in which HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech opt to act accordingly. This will prevent any express shipments listed by the suppliers above from shipping UPS and USPS 1 day and 2 day air. This does not include shipments involved within the continental United States by USPS or UPS ground.

HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and Raidentech support regulations consistent with ICAO Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods in order to fulfill the concerns of maintaining the highest safety to both the shipment carriers and our consumers.

You don't say when you put the order in, only that you wanted in within 24-48 hours. And then that they tried to call you back within 12 hours of the order going in? So far, I don't see the horrible service. Then you e-mailed them twice, but don't say when. Some of the details you've left out might make a difference, like if you did all this within 24 hours? If that's the case, why not let someone get back to you before multiple e-mails, phone calls, and rants on RCGroups. I'm all for alerting people to bad service, but this doesn't sound that bad.

Also, did you try their 24 hour online help, or go to their vendor thread area here?

Finally, how did you pay? If credit card, if you are concerned about the money just call them and cancel the transaction. Finally, a local hobby shop (if available) if probably the best choice when you want something right away.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
I ordered on a Monday Morning, I didn't actually expect to get the batteries in 24 hours as next day air never actually means "Next day" for me. I simply wanted the batteries before the weekend. I went back and saw the disclaimer there, looks just like every other blurb of small text vendors put on their check out.

The disclaimer obviously didn't work, cant blame them for not seeing it but they can at least get rid of the option for next day air, or have the disclaimer pop up AFTER you choose the next day option. I just feel like they still set you up to take the money regardless. By any means I still haven't heard from them and that is what is frustrating me now at this point. Should of just splurged for some batteries from max amps like I originally intended, their customer service is fantastic. Guess that is the trade off for a low price.

I would really love to support a local hobby shop but I cant afford their mark ups, and most hobby shops I have been too have a terrible return policy if any.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...batteries.html

They typically ship within 24-48 hour, use priority mail, and are pretty well priced.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:05 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Wait until you have an issue with something they send you that's broken or incorrect.... They'll treat you like a piece of dirt on the side of the road.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Oh absolutely. That's typically how these online companies grow and thrive.

If you use a CC or Paypal there is little cause for concern notwithstanding the doom and gloom crowd.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Well I had an epic fail..... Against my better judgement I just let the order go through (they did refund the difference in shipping only after I mentioned something) . Received the batteries today (In some of the most torn up packaging INSIDE the ups box) low and behold one of the batteries reads no voltage..... Never again. I'm not spending a dime with that company anymore. I haven't received a response back from them, but I'm sure I wont like the answer. Already started the charge back process.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Just realized there is an actual hobby partz forum on here, is there any chance a mod could move this thread over?