HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:42 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076 View Post
I Thought I'd post a couple pic's of where I'm at.Waiting on Corrosion x to finalize.On the bottom I mixed GG+black paint and coated it,then before it was totally dry I applied clear packing tape,then hit it with the iron.Seems to stick really well.
LF I think you said it would slide on grass with the tape,will it fly off grass?
Mine flies off grass easily. In fact it is a good idea to maiden off grass and get the plane trimmed before heading out for the high seas (or local puddles).

The taped bottom is more slippery than the bare foam bottom and protects the foam too. I used black packaging tape on the bottom of my build. I also ironed the tape on. It sticks much better and it shrinks any wrinkles flat.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:53 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Thanks guys,I'll maiden her at home then.I havn't purchased the colored packing tape yet,so that's why I did that.I might work on the insignia a little,probably brush it on.I hope there are more of these built,It sure went easy!
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:56 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,774 Posts
Graphics

Below are the graphics I used for my build. I printed on to transparencies at Office Max and then spray glued into place
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:50 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Subscribed
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:50 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
This is COOL! I've always wanted a "float" plane and I think I might have to dive into this build some day.... Looks like a neat and relaxing fun flyer!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:54 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Below are the graphics I used for my build. I printed on to transparencies at Office Max and then spray glued into place

LF, I'm new to this thread and your products but I bought this just as soon as I saw it. I have some questions if you don't mind, not suggestions. I intend to build this first one exactly like you instruct but I'm going to immediately by a second justices this once in the water, into the second one I will start whatever modifications might take it to another level.

1. How would fly if the wings were left straight?
2. If the wings were left straight, and it would fly would handle ailerons?
3. I have several combat planes that are made up EPP foam these are covered in a laminate, not Monocote but a very tough iron on film that makes these planes very stiff. Do you see any reason I couldn't use that on my second one?
4. I've never tried to sand EPP foam what grits should I use and wet or dry?

I've only been involved in this this hobby or sport for year. Are ready have 10 airplanes from sky surfer power glider's the high wing trainers to an EDF jet and a biplane. Half of them are still in boxes and they need to stay there until I'm qualified to fly them. Two of them are seaplanes a big 5 foot Cessna 185 and a little E-starter with floats. I think your little airplane is going to be the one to teach me to fly seaplanes.

Every kid in the neighborhood now knows that I have these planes and we all live on the wide tropical Colusahatchee River that is our backyard hearing Fort Myers Florida. All these boys are between 9 and 11. I got them a flight simulator and I'm seeing what that leads to "when can I fly grandpa?" My answer " when you grow wings". Well that's no longer working and I've been looking forward a plane that I could use to teach them to fly without have to take them all to a soccer field or to my airfield. We all live here on the water.

Thank you Sir for making this plane, this is the obvious solution to my efforts to teach myself to fly and all the little boys.

I must say I would much prefer to turn it into a four channel plane, ailerons. My flight instructor told me people trained on three channel planes can have a really hard time going to four channel. And people trained on four channel planes often don't even know or what to do with the rudder, they don't use it. I know these things probably change the motor size, ESC size, motor mount, etc. I can do all that with no problem. My question really is will this plane fly if I change the dihedral to a lower angle or a full wing warp and add ailerons.

I'm so hoping that this plane is the one. I've made the little boys keep a flight log on the simulator and they must log 20 hours on planes with wheels. They're getting close to being done, balls in my court.

So far as I can tell your product for its intent and its price is near-perfect. So please Sir don't take any of these things I said as some kind of suggestion, it's just an exploration. I don't want to train them on three channels and then have to retrain them on four channels.

Thank you so much for making this plane,

DJ, a.k.a.: kamikaze ace. HHe wares no helme 9 t!": eek:
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:21 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

LF, I'm new to this thread and your products but I bought this just as soon as I saw it. I have some questions if you don't mind, not suggestions. I intend to build this first one exactly like you instruct but I'm going to immediately by a second justices this once in the water, into the second one I will start whatever modifications might take it to another level.

1. How would fly if the wings were left straight?
2. If the wings were left straight, and it would fly would handle ailerons?
3. I have several combat planes that are made up EPP foam these are covered in a laminate, not Monocote but a very tough iron on film that makes these planes very stiff. Do you see any reason I couldn't use that on my second one?
4. I've never tried to sand EPP foam what grits should I use and wet or dry?

I've only been involved in this this hobby or sport for year. Are ready have 10 airplanes from sky surfer power glider's the high wing trainers to an EDF jet and a biplane. Half of them are still in boxes and they need to stay there until I'm qualified to fly them. Two of them are seaplanes a big 5 foot Cessna 185 and a little E-starter with floats. I think your little airplane is going to be the one to teach me to fly seaplanes.

Every kid in the neighborhood now knows that I have these planes and we all live on the wide tropical Colusahatchee River that is our backyard hearing Fort Myers Florida. All these boys are between 9 and 11. I got them a flight simulator and I'm seeing what that leads to "when can I fly grandpa?" My answer " when you grow wings". Well that's no longer working and I've been looking forward a plane that I could use to teach them to fly without have to take them all to a soccer field or to my airfield. We all live here on the water.

Thank you Sir for making this plane, this is the obvious solution to my efforts to teach myself to fly and all the little boys.

I must say I would much prefer to turn it into a four channel plane, ailerons. My flight instructor told me people trained on three channel planes can have a really hard time going to four channel. And people trained on four channel planes often don't even know or what to do with the rudder, they don't use it. I know these things probably change the motor size, ESC size, motor mount, etc. I can do all that with no problem. My question really is will this plane fly if I change the dihedral to a lower angle or a full wing warp and add ailerons.

I'm so hoping that this plane is the one. I've made the little boys keep a flight log on the simulator and they must log 20 hours on planes with wheels. They're getting close to being done, balls in my court.

So far as I can tell your product for its intent and its price is near-perfect. So please Sir don't take any of these things I said as some kind of suggestion, it's just an exploration. I don't want to train them on three channels and then have to retrain them on four channels.

Thank you so much for making this plane,

DJ, a.k.a.: kamikaze ace. HHe wares no helme 9 t!": eek:
Welcome on board Sculptor!

Thanks for the kind words, but kudos for this design go to motorhead of FancyFoam. I'm not involved with the company ( I don't make any products, RC is strictly a hobby for me), but motorhead and I are flying buddies so I get special treatment once in a while like being first for a new model such as this Icon trainer.

This plane will fly without dihedral tips and rudder only. It is not self leveling in roll without the dihedral...less of a trainer.

Yes, ailerons would work great and would be an easy mod.

The laminate won't hurt except for the weigh it adds. Not sure of any benefit for this ultra slow flyer but I wouldn't hesitate if I were you and you really want the covering.

I use a drywall sanding tool and drywall screen (120 grit) for sanding and shaping epp. Just use very light pressure to avoid tearing out bead of foam. Practice on scrap first.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:51 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Welcome on board Sculptor!

Thanks for the kind words, but kudos for this design go to motorhead of FancyFoam. I'm not involved with the company ( I don't make any products, RC is strictly a hobby for me), but motorhead and I are flying buddies so I get special treatment once in a while like being first for a new model such as this Icon trainer.

This plane will fly without dihedral tips and rudder only. It is not self leveling in roll without the dihedral...less of a trainer.

Yes, ailerons would work great and would be an easy mod.

The laminate won't hurt except for the weigh it adds. Not sure of any benefit for this ultra slow flyer but I wouldn't hesitate if I were you and you really want the covering.

I use a drywall sanding tool and drywall screen (120 grit) for sanding and shaping epp. Just use very light pressure to avoid tearing out bead of foam. Practice on scrap first.

Thank you so much for your encouragement.

I can fly a lot of planes but they're all still part of my learning to fly. But while I do this, and I learn to fly my P 51 D, my Cessna 182, I'll be able to come back from the flight field, take my campus quad chair, drop of beer in cylinder one and kick back and fly this plane. I want to be that way with everything I fly but I think I can use this plane to just enjoy my primitive level flying.

I may just sit in my chair and fly figure eights and never take it off. This will be so fun.

I'm at the stage or wanting something to fly that is super easy, allows me to keep it in the air without great stress is something I need right now in these early learning days.

DJ
BTW: I would be remiss not to shoot both photography and video of these little boys learning to fly an RC plane.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Thanks for the graphix LF,they are the perfect size.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:01 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076 View Post
Thanks for the graphix LF,they are the perfect size.
Welcome!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:02 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,774 Posts
One thing that becomes susceptible to damage in a water plane is the electronics. I tried an experiment to protect my esc. I removed the heat shrink and then coated the whole thing with glue. I left the heat sink uncoated, but sealed the esc up to and around the edge of the heat sink. I used Welders glue this time, but next time I would probably use 5 minute epoxy for this job.

So far so good.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,774 Posts
Just came accross this new product. Mght be really good for water proofing electronics. Also could be good for shorter take offs if applied to the bottom of the hull.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IfUaK...%3DIfUaKXasdD4
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:51 AM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Just came accross this new product. Mght be really good for water proofing electronics. Also could be good for shorter take offs if applied to the bottom of the hull.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IfUaK...%3DIfUaKXasdD4
Clicked the link, Now I am speechless!

Looked at other videos, waterproofed RC car, Heli, Phone....

But this stuff is expensive....
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:22 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,610 Posts
I have been assimilated. Resistance was futile. Kit ordered. (Also ordered an EZFly p-51 and started on a FFF EzFly).

One thing I did not order was a motor as I have several new Blue Wonders in the bin. But when I checked they were the 1300kv version. These do well with 8 x 4 props but might be a tight sqeeze in the IA5. I see that GWS has a 3 blade 7053. I was wondering how this might work with an 800 mah 3S pack with the 1300kv BW?

Edited: I needed to place an order and ended up tossing in an Emax CF2805 1700kv which is the same weight as the BW. According to the vendor it should belt out about 15 oz. of thrust at 9 amps on 3S with a GWS 7035 3 blade.

Also I see some discussion of waterproofing electronics. In another waterplane thread I saw mention of using Corrosion X and it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

BTW, this is my first order with Fancy Foam. How quickly do they usually ship?

Rick
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Mar 01, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
I had my package within a week.Also have my corrosion x,now I can finish it.