HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Help!
Problem with elogger and PowerPanel

I am having a problem with my powerpanel that is connected to my elogger. For some reason, the panel is not working when only connected to the logger. If I hook the USB up to the logger, the panel shows USB connection made. As soon as I un-hook it, the panel turns back off. I have this system in a motor dyno hooked up to a power supply. Any info would be great.
94_snake is offline Find More Posts by 94_snake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi, can you confirm that you have configured the PowerPanel in the PC software to show parameters? This is done by clicking "Hardware, Configure PowerPanel" from the software.

Also, can you confirm what battery voltage is connected to the eLogger, where the battery is connected, the eLogger's capture rate (under "Hardware, Set Recorder Capture Rate") and whether the logger's LED is blinking?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Hi, can you confirm that you have configured the PowerPanel in the PC software to show parameters? This is done by clicking "Hardware, Configure PowerPanel" from the software.
I have set up the parameters that I want it to show in the software. But, with that being said, my software is showing "Choose parameters to show on PowerPanel" instead of Configure PowerPanel. I am assuming this would be the same thing, but mentioning it just in case it isnt.

Quote:
Also, can you confirm what battery voltage is connected to the eLogger, where the battery is connected, the eLogger's capture rate (under "Hardware, Set Recorder Capture Rate") and whether the logger's LED is blinking?
Yes, the eLogger is connected to my power supply, and I am getting voltage at my ESC leads downstream of the eLogger. It is a 3.3V power supply, set to put out almost 4V. The capture rate is set at the default 10/sec. When the power supply is turned on, the LED will flash once, and when I connect the USB it flashes 3 times.

V4 eLogger if it makes any difference.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:54 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
I might be wrong but I think your issue is the voltage. 3.3 to 4.0 volts seem too low to me. You should connect something like 5.0 volts at least.
This may explain why your power panel shows with the USB connected (USB puts out about 6 volts) and stops working when USB is unplugged.

Have you tried using a higher voltage pack?

And you say "power supply". I am confused a bit. If it is a power supply not a battery pack, then it may be putting out very low amperage.

Anyways, Let's wait for Bill...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
I might be wrong but I think your issue is the voltage. 3.3 to 4.0 volts seem too low to me. You should connect something like 5.0 volts at least.
This may explain why your power panel shows with the USB connected (USB puts out about 6 volts) and stops working when USB is unplugged.

Have you tried using a higher voltage pack?

And you say "power supply". I am confused a bit. If it is a power supply not a battery pack, then it may be putting out very low amperage.

Anyways, Let's wait for Bill...
That was my initial thought as well. Problem I am having with that, I know several people who are running the same setup as I have, without running a separate power supply. I have to have the 4V at the end of the ESC leads for my purpose. So I cant just apply a higher input voltage to the logger.

Here is the power supply I am using. The 3.3V version, which is rated at 120A.

I'm sure its something really simple that I am overlooking. I went back and checked my parameter settings again just to make sure, and I cant see anything that I am missing.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_snake View Post
That was my initial thought as well. Problem I am having with that, I know several people who are running the same setup as I have, without running a separate power supply. I have to have the 4V at the end of the ESC leads for my purpose. So I cant just apply a higher input voltage to the logger.

Here is the power supply I am using. The 3.3V version, which is rated at 120A.

I'm sure its something really simple that I am overlooking. I went back and checked my parameter settings again just to make sure, and I cant see anything that I am missing.
Hey it is very easy to figure this out. Just temporarily connect something 5volts or higher and see if you can get the power panel come back on. If it does, then you know your problem IS the voltage/power supply issue.
If you still do not have the power panel on, then yes there is/are other thing(s) happening... Gotta wait for Bill...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi, unfortunately the powerpanel does require at least 5V to display correctly. Actually, the eLogger itself is spec-ed for minimum 5V, but it may work with lower voltages.

As a workaround could supply backup power from your BEC or a separate battery (5V to 6V) at the eLogger's throttle input, but please see the manual on how to connect this.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor