HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
315 Posts
Discussion
ARF Flit Streak

Have any of you guys flown that ARF flite streak? I'm thinking about ordering a couple and converting them to elect. and flying some combat with them. I'm thinking it might generate some interest from the RC crowd. Not sticking fingers in props, a good speed, looks like an airplane. Just hate to order if they're junk airplanes.
Bob Mears is online now Find More Posts by Bob Mears
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:03 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,047 Posts
The Arf Flite streak is not junk, they fly very well, but they are fragile. The fuse is built up and if you are cutting up the front end, you will find lots of empty space.

The recommendation I make is to get a piece of 1/2" balsa trace the fuselage on it and set it aside. If you crash it, you are all set to make a new fuse, wing and tail will probably be OK.

The other thought is to spend a little more and get a couple Brodak electric Super Clowns. They are already set up for electric motors and I think they are a bit better built.

With my limited cl skills, i've often wondered how it would be to fly two up, either racing or combat. I think it would be fun with a Flite Streak kind of plane.

Keep us posted!

Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
1 ounce is the minimum leading edge weight for building a very light Voodoo. What would you estimate the fuselage, complete with motor mounts, weight range should be for good performance in a Flite Streak?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:44 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,332 Posts
My flying buddy used an F2D combat with a .15 sized electric. I thought it went good with the 2200 mah battery, but it was a little heavier than a glow. Maybe a 1200 mah would be better. He wants a .25 now. I think the F2D would be better than a Flight Streak, and they are only $50. Just wondering if you use a fuse for the motor somewhere in the circuit? I would assume there are crashes, and LiPo's don't take well to that.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:16 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
The Arf Flite streak is not junk, they fly very well, but they are fragile. The fuse is built up and if you are cutting up the front end, you will find lots of empty space.

The recommendation I make is to get a piece of 1/2" balsa trace the fuselage on it and set it aside. If you crash it, you are all set to make a new fuse, wing and tail will probably be OK.

The other thought is to spend a little more and get a couple Brodak electric Super Clowns. They are already set up for electric motors and I think they are a bit better built.

Keep us posted!

Norm
We already have the super clowns. They're a blast to fly, but dont actuall fly all that well. We were going to use the clown power system but hoping the larger Flite Streak would handle the weight better, and fly better. The whole idea is to try to get some folks interested in control line. Were down to two of us doing control line. Folks see us flying F2D and just say there's no way they could do that. Maybe slower electric would spike their interest....we hope
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:18 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
My flying buddy used an F2D combat with a .15 sized electric. I thought it went good with the 2200 mah battery, but it was a little heavier than a glow. Maybe a 1200 mah would be better. He wants a .25 now. I think the F2D would be better than a Flight Streak, and they are only $50. Just wondering if you use a fuse for the motor somewhere in the circuit? I would assume there are crashes, and LiPo's don't take well to that.
I will put an inline automotive fuse in the battery cable. Hope this does the trick. I have smashed an electric F2D before and it just keep power on till the smoke comes out. Would like to prevent that from happening again.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
The Flight Streak is a good flying plane and would be great for combat the fuselage is fragile so don't crash. lol
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:53 PM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
Great flying planes, especially for electric. Use a 3536-900 motor, A 4s2200lipo PHX 35 and a Hubin timer. Use a thin APC 9x6 pusher for the prop. My son has about 100 flights on his.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:05 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusbob1 View Post
Great flying planes, especially for electric. Use a 3536-900 motor, A 4s2200lipo PHX 35 and a Hubin timer. Use a thin APC 9x6 pusher for the prop. My son has about 100 flights on his.
I guess rotating the prop clockwise makes a substantial difference? I've never flown anything spinnin' it that way. Guess it would make for a better take off for sure.

We need to come up with 4 flat cells...two on each side of the fuse on top and bottom. would be a bit more aerodynamic.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:41 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,945 Posts
No need to 'come up with' flat 2s battery packs.
HobbyKing.com has erm.. several :-) at varying; weights, capacities and price points.
Multiple packs, for fit and weight distribution is V common in edf models.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:08 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
Joined Dec 2011
315 Posts
The electric Clown just cuts through the leading edge and sticks the battery (3 cell) through the chord of the wing. My batteries have swelled enough now that they have chipped away the spar. The only real structure holding the outboard wing is the center planking. I'm surprised I havent blown off an outboard wing. When the Flite Streaks get here I will find some way for a decent battery compartment that wont deter the structural integrity.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:19 PM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
The pusher props help torque the plane naturally to the outside. Our Flight Streak is set up with zero rudder and motor offset. It also helps with line tesion in the square 8 and the top of the hourglass and vertical 8. It does help some on take off but personally i think the biggest advantages are in other places and well worth it just for those reasons alone.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I'd determine how much I wanted the fuselage to weigh, get the right wood, build a glow plane that'd fly around 70 or 80 MPH, turn on a dime, and break beautifully. Maybe a Brodak 40, or an OS 40 or46? Do any schnurles have the classic CL break? How would you build a Flite Steak capable of these speeds, do a 2 foot loop and break like a Fox 35?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:52 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
The 4-2-4 break isn't the only way to fly somewhat slowly. Many stunt pilots in the Golden Age flew with K&B engines before there was any 29S version, just running a relatively low pitched prop at the rpms the Torps ran the best. Quite a few of the stunt fliers who used Fox engines ran those the same way.

For the most part, only some OS Maxes, some Foxes, and most McCoys were able to run the 4-2-4 way, and many Foxes, beginning with the popularity of Uniflow tanks, ran less than their best lying on their sides (none that I had, but I ran across a bunch belonging to other folks).

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusbob1 View Post
The pusher props help torque the plane naturally to the outside. Our Flight Streak is set up with zero rudder and motor offset. It also helps with line tesion in the square 8 and the top of the hourglass and vertical 8. It does help some on take off but personally i think the biggest advantages are in other places and well worth it just for those reasons alone.
You may be able to leave off the outboard wingtip weight with a backwards rotating prop too.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty