HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Discussion
Custom Clutch for 80 kg Radial UAS

Hi Guys,

I am currently doing a final year aerospace engineering project at Carleton University and need some help designing a clutch for our drive system. It is a rotorcraft unmanned aerial system with a main rotor diameter of 3 meters. The engine we are using is the Moki 400 radial ~ 25 hp, idle at 600 rpm and max rpm of 3800.

For the clutch, I need it to begin to engage around 1000 rpm and am wondering if anyone has experience with the sizing and overall design. How large of a diameter should the clutch be? How thick?

Is there a commercial solution available on the market right now? I have done a lot of research and haven't found anything capable of this scale.

Any insight is appreciated!
carletonUAS is offline Find More Posts by carletonUAS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:03 AM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Don't really know, but the first thing that crossed my mind was a clutch from one of the larger atv's. Good luck with your project. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender