HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:14 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2012
123 Posts
Discussion
FPV 12v camera with step up regulator

Hi there.

I have the following setup which isn't working for me. I'm trying to use a step up regulator off the 5v output to power my 12v camera but I don't get a picture, just white screen.

Do I need to ground the camera differently? If I power it directly from 12v it works fine.

cheers,
Alex
Boonzie is offline Find More Posts by Boonzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:08 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonzie View Post
Hi there.

I have the following setup which isn't working for me. I'm trying to use a step up regulator off the 5v output to power my 12v camera but I don't get a picture, just white screen.

Do I need to ground the camera differently? If I power it directly from 12v it works fine.

cheers,
Alex
I wonder if the regulator is too noisy for the camera?
Why not run the camera off your lipo balance lead. Is it a 4s? You can easily pick up 12v from there. Connect between (-)balance lead, and the lead that has 12V.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:18 AM
Tail-in hoverer.
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
413 Posts
Not to be cheeky, are you sure its not a 12V-5V regulator?

If it IS a step up, there must be something wrong, maybe the output of the Immersion RC is too low (<5V), and you are getting sub-12V out of the end?

I would ditch the regulator and get 12V from a JST lead, just splice into the cable that is going too the AV TX.

Or like above, get the 12V from the balance lead using a cable like this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html
You just cut the plug off, keeping the socket, and remove all the wires only keeping the black and red wires, giving 12V
Noob Mike is offline Find More Posts by Noob Mike
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:32 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,356 Posts
You could try the common ground buck inverter I used on my quad for more than a year with no problems, and no need for additional filtering. I never tried it with a 5v source but it powered my 12v cam and VTx ok off 2S (7.4v). Eventually though I just went to a 5v cam (kpc vsn505) and VTx to simplify everything and am glad I did. Less electronics to worry about failing.
patricklupo is online now Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:31 AM
Fully Sick Bro!
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Nov 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonzie View Post
Hi there.

cheers,
Alex
You need to connect the power for the camera to the input power for the vtx so they share power but keep the ground connected to the vtx just make a y cable for the power I'd draw you a diagram but I'm replying to this off my phone :P
jarred1993 is offline Find More Posts by jarred1993