SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:17 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Discussion
What's a good gyro setup for 3D

I'm just starting to learn 3d, but around here the wind is average 15mph and often gusty to 20mph (that's an average day, mind you).

With that in mind, I think it may be a good idea to approach learning 3D with a stabilization unit installed, at least to help me keep the wings from turning over in the wind.

What's a good 3 axis unit for 3D flying? The Eagletree 2D/3D, modified KK2, Bluelight BL3MOD?

I'm looking for something that has separate channels for AIL, for sure.

Thanks!
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:19 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,649 Posts

my favorite
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:23 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,553 Posts
I'm thinkin' a 3D plane may not be the best place for a gyro. If you're aiming to fly 3D, that is.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. This is your brain on 3D...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:29 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,649 Posts
ha, well I meant this is your brain and your thumbs.

just this weekend I saw a guy struggling to get a plane flying right. kept crashing on landing. I asked him what the problem was and he said "this plane flew great until I put a gyro in it. I just don't understand!"
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:31 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,418 Posts
I have been playing with the KK2 board for a little while now. It has a airplane mode which has a stabilization feature and also an auto level. The auto level does nothing to help 3d but the stabilization feature works great for windy environments and trying to learn 3d. The kk2 is setup to allow a certain degree of rotation per a given amount of time and I have yet to find a way to adjust that value. This means the airplane will roll the same speed whether you are doing rolling harriers(low speed) or rifle rollers (highspeed). This works well for learning but that is about all. Hopefully in a future software update that will be fixed.

IMO, the kk2 board makes 20mph winds feel like 5mph winds. It also makes harriers more stable and keeps the plane locked into hovers.

The kk2 board supports a second aileron servo also.

With all of that said, I do believe that using gyros to help learn 3d will really hinder your flying skills in the long run and will create bad habits that will later on cause you lots of problems.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:36 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Are you using the OpenAero 2 firmware for the KK2?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:37 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Are you using the OpenAero 2 firmware for the KK2?
I believe so.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:17 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
You do not need a gyro, you just need to learn how to fly in the wind. I have a feeling all these gyros on the market now are going to tech pilots bad habits when learning 3d.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:03 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Forget about the gyro and start with an epp 3D plane set up right.

There are no shortcuts to flying 3D.

Ask Joe Smith how many hours he burned through when he started and how many hours a week he flys now days as well.

I keep telling the guys at my club that nothing beats time at the sticks and practice.... especially on something that can take a pounding into the ground and keep flying.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:37 PM
departure from controlled flt
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2004
296 Posts
Not really the question you asked, but there are some airfoiled EPP airframes that fly well in windy conditions. I particularly like Twisted Hobbies' SU-29 on 3S LiPo with Omega-72 motor:
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Telink-...-Su-29-Red.htm

Hovering into the wind, knife edge into the wind, 4-point rolls into the wind, etc., (with near zero ground speed) definitely helps to develop stick skills and muscle memory which can apply to harder maneuvers like rolling harrier, etc.

Just an alternative to consider....
airportdog is online now Find More Posts by airportdog
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:48 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Planes I'm using to learn:

1. 3DHS 48" EPP Edge 300SC
2. Crack Yak Std (yet to maiden, winds too high)
3. Skywing 48" EPP Scale Edge 540T (yet to maiden, winds too high)

When I say too high to maiden, I'm not talking about our usual 15mph winds around here. It's be 30 gusting 40 around here lately. Supposed to be better this weekend, but I've got other stuff I have to do, so I don't know if I'll get the chance. I'm thinking of bringing the crack yak to work and letting it sit here in case things let up.

I'm also using Realflight 6.5 while I wait for better conditions. In RF, I've noticed that trying new 3D stuff out with the wind turned up is a lot harder than without the wind, and that the models with a gyro help this out. This is sorta why I brought this topic up in the first place.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:43 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Spektrum has a new receiver with their AS3X system (thread here) built in. Although it's a 6 channel, the manual states you have to use a y cable for dual aileron servos. Shouldn't be too hard to get even throws with some mechanical adjustment on the ailerons...

It is going to go in the new VisionAire BNF plane for $300, and I've got to admit after seeing recent vids I'd like to fly one (someone else's lol).

To be honest, I'm torn on this gyro thing. For those of us who have learned to 3D without it, it's going to be frustrating if they make it vastly easier for people with little practice to do things we worked hard to learn "for real". Will it hinder them in the long run? I suppose not if the technology keeps improving and they can put it in every plane they own.

That being said... I'm interested in throwing that receiver in a plane like my Dad's 48" EPP. The thing already flies super easy for me, but for a 61 year old dude who doesn't get a lot of practice like him I'd be interested to see if he could harrier around and hover with ease.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:14 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
I think these gyros are going to create some false experts, if they really made 3d flying that easy.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict