Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum radios/ DX4e/ failsafe mode flight control settings

EDIT--please note all-- I can't edit the thread header, but this thread has morphed into a discussion focused on the fail-safe characteristics, and long-range reception (or lack thereof) of the receiver that comes in the HobbyZone Super Cub ARF foamie. Really not much to do with the DX4e transmitter. Thanks --END EDIT

Hi all

1) Can anyone confirm from personal experience that with the Spektrum line of radios in general, the sticks and trims can be placed off-center during the binding process, to set the fail-safe control position (for loss of radio signal) in something OTHER than simply all-servos-centered (excepting the throttle).

2) With the Spektrum DX4e in particular, can anyone confirm from personal experience that the sticks and trims can be placed off-center during the binding process, to set the fail-safe control position (for loss of radio signal) in something OTHER than simply all-servos-centered (excepting the throttle).

3) Can anyone confirm from personal experience that some of the lower-end receivers can only default to all-servos-centered in fail-safe mode, even if the pilot has attempted to enter another setting as described above?

4) I believe this is what is happening to me with my Hobby Zone Super Cub. I'm using the included DX4e transmitter and the included stock receiver. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this aircraft?

Thanks much for the input
Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 18, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:06 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,352 Posts
Steve,

In our radios, the failsafe settings are stored in the receiver. Different receivers have different failsafe modes available. The 6-channel and lower receivers will return the throttle to the at-bind position (generally off), and the controls will hold their last commanded position until they receive a new position command from the transmitter.

That said, yes, you can bind receivers such that there is a turn on loss of signal, but not with the receiver in your HZ plane. You need at least an AR6255 to be able to do that. It has nothing to do with the type of tx you are using.

Your receiver will hold the last command you gave it, not the position of the sticks and trims when you bound.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:15 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,223 Posts
In addition to the above and in the event you do get such a capable receiver, a different binding step is required to make use of Pre-set Failsafe.

Once you Power On the receiver with the Bind Plug inserted and the receiver LED is flashing (binding) you need to REMOVE the Bind Plug prior to starting the Bind on the radio.

Without this step you are still using Hold Last Command of all other controls.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

...Your receiver will hold the last command you gave it, not the position of the sticks and trims when you bound.

Andy
Thanks for the replies so far. However my experience in actual flight is more consistent with the servos going to centered when signal is lost.

With my setup a few weeks ago, servos-centered happened to command a tight right turn which was a pretty good signal as to when radio lock was lost. This happened for a few seconds on almost every flight.

Unfortunately, this week I changed the setup and accidentally shifted things such that servos-centered created a nose-dive. I saw this nose-dive occur once in a while over several flights but the last time it continued too long and the model was pretty smashed up.

I am setting up a second HobbyZone Super Cub and want to be sure I understand the fail-safe operation 100% to prevent a recurrence.

Andy is it possible that you are mistaken about the receiver holding the last command given with the signal is lost? After several weeks of flying the model, it sure looks to me like it is going to all-servos-centered when radio signal is lost....

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
In addition to the above and in the event you do get such a capable receiver, a different binding step is required to make use of Pre-set Failsafe.

Once you Power On the receiver with the Bind Plug inserted and the receiver LED is flashing (binding) you need to REMOVE the Bind Plug prior to starting the Bind on the radio.

Without this step you are still using Hold Last Command of all other controls.
Wow, the transmitter manual sure didn't mention that! (Page 11 DX4e manual)
PS Just tried that (to exhaust all possibilities) and as Andy had already indicated, it didn't work with my receiver.

Thanks

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
One more question, is switching off the transmitter while the receiver is on (not while flying) a realistic test of where the servos will move to if radio lock is lost in flight?

I am trying that now and what I am seeing is consistent with my early comments re always going to one position which appears to be all-servos-centered...

Thanks again for the help so far

Steve
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:07 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,223 Posts
To test Failsafe Yes powering off the radio is a good way to do it.
Always Remove PROP.

In a normal receiver if you move the sticks to full corner and power off the radio the servo will stay in that position UNLESS the control surfaces are putting strain on the servo and the control surface itself is returning to normal.

This is very possible with foam plane where the hinge is the foam. Remove servo linkage and test again.

Preset will move the servo to a SPECIFIC location and you won't or shouldn't be able to move it away from that position by hand.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Thanks; took off the linkages and played some more, the servos are definitely coming to centered when I switch off the transmitter.

The only identifying marks I see on the receiver are "TS108F" on the bottom, and "Hobby Zone" on the top.

On another thread, someone suggested that "The receiver in the Super Cub appears from the antenna configuration to be a variation on the AR500"-- not sure if this is accurate or not.

Steve

Quote:
To test Failsafe Yes powering off the radio is a good way to do it.
Always Remove PROP.

In a normal receiver if you move the sticks to full corner and power off the radio the servo will stay in that position UNLESS the control surfaces are putting strain on the servo and the control surface itself is returning to normal.

This is very possible with foam plane where the hinge is the foam. Remove servo linkage and test again.

Preset will move the servo to a SPECIFIC location and you won't or shouldn't be able to move it away from that position by hand.
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,223 Posts
Like said previously by Andy the Failsafe info is stored in the RX.

I don't have that plane and so can't comment on what receiver it has.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Talking it through has been helpful. Definitely will look for the ability to store specific selectable control / trim positions next time I get a receiver. Helpful to know that that is possible with my DX4e transmitter and also that that might involve a step not spelled out in the manual, as suggested in post #3. Now that I am certain that my current receiver in Cub goes to servos-centered as failsafe, I set the linkages appropriately and tested this afternoon by holding plane in dive and switching off transmitter. It pulled out into a nice glide due to the linkages I had set up. Yesterday when my understanding was less clear the results were not so good-- plane was flying in a nice glide, I got hit with something and lost radio link, receiver (I now understand) commanded servos-neutral and the linkages at that time were set so that commanded a dive-- smash!

Steve
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:39 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,223 Posts
The reason not mentioned in manual is because its a receiver thing.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Quote:
The reason not mentioned in manual is because its a receiver thing.
Well..... The manual on page 11 is specifically telling me how to bind my transmitter to a receiver and there is a specific reference to moving the sticks and trims -- which can only be of any relevance if I am planning to have the receiver remember the trim/ stick positions, right? Yet it also specifically tells me to remove the receiver binding plug after the binding process and before I power off the receiver. If what you are saying is true (binding plug has to be removed before beginning binding process i.e. turning on transmitter, if control presets are to be remembered) then the manual has an error, "receiver thing" or not, no?

EDIT-- I now understand that this step is relevant to start-up positions even no fail-safe pre-set is being commanded (hence no need to remove binding plug before binding)-- I think. A specific comment to that effect in the manual would be very helpful to folks like me who are relatively new to digging into the details of radio systems. Thanks.

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:55 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,352 Posts
When you buy a complete package, the manual covers everything.

When you buy open stock items, they have their own documentation.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:09 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
When you buy a complete package, the manual covers everything.

When you buy open stock items, they have their own documentation.

Andy
Yes. By the way I did indeed buy a complete package. Hobby Zone Super Cub ARF with transmitter.
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,223 Posts
It just click, this has ACT in it.

This could be why it's returning to level flying