HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:48 PM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
Discussion
Why no 2s UMX AS3X warbird? Horizon, they would sell like hotcakes.

Im just curious about why theres no warbirds that use the 2s as3x brushless system. I know horizon looks at threads on rc groups I wish they could hint or comment on whether this is something there ever going to do. I look at the Spitfire or the new P-40 warhawk, and fear they are going to continue to make warbirds that use the brushed motor and 160mah stick battery. So my question is Horizon do you guys ever see a umx 2s warbird coming? if others could weigh in I know so many people that fly who are baffled that these scale looking warbirds are all 1s AS3X and everybody with bags of umx 2s lipos are waiting. I have a good idea the 1s ultra micro mustang is really looking old, if you guys redid a P-51 mustang that was detailed like the P-40 but ran the UMX 2s AS3X system they would be back ordered like the beast 3d was last Christmas. I hope others comment and maybe you can atleast say or hint please, whether you guys at Horizon are ever going to make a UMX 2s AS3X warbird. Thanks DrewC
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:18 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I say a couple things,

- partly branding,they have a brand so to speak of parkzone ultra micro warbird, the only 2s umx that isn't eflite was the Stryker, also because the Stryker is a parkzone bird, essentially branding,

-it has been a very effective formula in the past

-they want to keep them all in the same skill level and series. Someone who had an old um p-51(example) and want something a little different and still cheap and very familiar and flyable in the same space and same skill set
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:38 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
I agree with the OP and have made the point before. Though I forgot that they do have one 2s warbird. The Mig.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
Yeah i owned the mig its okay, but common everybody has bags of 2s lipos what about the carbon cub its umx. I dont see that they have to stick to a certain formula lets say, they redid the P-51 mustang 2s lipo, as3x they can brand it umx or just ultra micro they redid the su-26 but they didn't remake the mustang. The single cell warbirds need the same amount of space as say the Beast 3D. I think this thread should at the very least be kept alive if the P-40 warhawk was 2s lipo with as3x, people would be jumping over the counters at there hobby stores for a 2s ultra micro warbird thats brushless. I think at the very least we should keep this thread alive, and maybe Horizon Hobbys will see how badly everybody would love a 2s ultra micro warbird. Even in Chucks preview or maiden video for the um P40 he says something about waiting for a 2s um warbird.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
Sorry typing on a phone i somehow saved a sentence and it repeated it on my statement above, but again for the 3 time lol, I think this thread should kept alive and everybody should give there say and ask why theres no um 2s brushless warbird. The mig is a jet yes its umx but just for example, if the eflight zero would have been a 2s ultra micro with AS3X it would have sold tons and would be on the first page of the ultra micro thread forum right now. Lets just keep it alive and maybe Horizon would atleast say no were never going to make a 2s um warbird or give us, I hope a hint that they are going to do this.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:36 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
I also agree there should be 2s as3x warbirds, im pretty sure horizon are probably all ready on it, they would go like hot cakes, thing is lol im impatient so have been spending the last few nights building one from depron using a guillows p51 rubberband kit as a template and will use the supplied canopy, exhaust stacks and decals. At the heart of this I have used the brick from my old mig 15 and a beast 3d 2500kv motor with gws 5030 prop. Turnigy 300mah 45c 2s. This setup gave 10min plus today on my maiden and following flights. A few pics will follow shortly.
born2huck is offline Find More Posts by born2huck
Last edited by born2huck; Mar 18, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
I just upload a vid on youtube. As3x p51 2s should bring it up. Not sure how to add links.
born2huck is offline Find More Posts by born2huck
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
316 Posts
I think they are redoing the p51 in 2s and as3x
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,857 Posts
Maybe the size of the zero is the coming thing in um/umx planes. The edge 540 is in the same size range and it blows away the umx and single cell micros. I would think the zero would have the same advantages over the little 17" wing span models that the Edge does over it's rivals. I don't care for warbirds, so don't have the zero, but the edge is head and shoulders over it's smaller cousins and batteries cost almost exactly the same, so it's a win win situation.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Maybe the size of the zero is the coming thing in um/umx planes. The edge 540 is in the same size range and it blows away the umx and single cell micros. I would think the zero would have the same advantages over the little 17" wing span models that the Edge does over it's rivals. I don't care for warbirds, so don't have the zero, but the edge is head and shoulders over it's smaller cousins and batteries cost almost exactly the same, so it's a win win situation.
I would prefer umx beast size because of cost
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:25 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,857 Posts
UMX beast, $139, Edge $169 - $30 ain't a lot of money. And the Edge is way more durable, so you might save it back in parts. But I do really like the Beast and it is one of my go to yard flyers for sure, so they both have good points. I fly the Beast and Sbach at home, but prefer the Edge when I have more room to fly.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:01 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,642 Posts
Or buy the molds for the Cox warbirds and go from there. Lighten them up a bit, brushless motors. Did that on the P47 thunderbolt and added ails. Also have the Mustang and Spitfire. Still flown but getting a little ratty and no replacements. These are a little bigger at average 20 in. span. Very good proven fliers but would be nice with the gyro so the wind wouldn't bother them. Running on 360ma 2 cell for about 8 mins.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:15 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
I want a 2s brushless UMX-size P-47D bubbletop with a proper airfoil (no more u/c airfoils on fighter, please!!), flaps, and retracts. Or a P-38 with a proper airfoil, flaps and retracts.

I have no interest in an Edge QQ-size warbird because it would be too big for my yard. If I have to go to the club field to fly, I'd rather be flying an ICE-powered 60-90 size warbird.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,857 Posts
Joel, you could fly the Edge in your yard easy. If I can, I know you can, and my yard's smaller than yours. It's more fun at the flield, but so is my UMX Sbach.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I want a 2s brushless UMX-size P-47D bubbletop with a proper airfoil (no more u/c airfoils on fighter, please!!), flaps, and retracts. Or a P-38 with a proper airfoil, flaps and retracts.
+1 on the proper airfoil and the extras. The specific bird isn't as big of a deal to me. Though I would take them in either the Extra size or UMX size. With the added power of 2s the extra weight from having retracts and flaps shouldn't be an issue.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG