Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:42 PM
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Canada, MB, Division No. 1, Unorganized
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
Help!
E-flite Pro60 ESC problems

Hello guys,

I was dusting off all my planes (7 in total) the other night and checking their operations only to find that all four planes that are powered by the E-flite PRO 60 ESC won't fire up.

I haven't flown any of these planes in a year or so, been too busy with work.

Anyway, back to the ESC. When you plug the battery in, it does it's typical tone but when you turn the ESC switch on, I don't get the armed tone and no response from any of the control arms on the radio, almost like the receiver was dead.

I've tried switch out radios, crystals, receivers and changed channels, still nothing.
The radios work fine with the other three planes that have the Castle ESC's, and I can't see why all the E-flites would die at the same time. Soooooo, is there a step I'm missing that I may have forgot about or is there some programing in the radio that may have been lost in the radios?

Any suggestions?
Dave
kawika1kalina is offline Find More Posts by kawika1kalina
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:54 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
638 Posts
Get out the programming instructions?
The switch should be open to get 5v from the esc's bec. (Assuming it has one!)
It's possible that the low throttle pulse rate is high enough that it prevents the Esc from arming.
If I remember correctly, the Eflite 60 by default, uses a fixed throttle range, and castle uses an auto setting that requires
going to a full throttle setting and back after power up and before flight.
If the throttle range involves an idle as well as a cutoff setting, this can add to the problem.
(Tx setting dependent)
example
Full range 1000-2000 (Normal servo full travel range)
cutoff below 1025 or so (for Gas/Glo Engine)
idle above 1025 or slightly more (Ditto)
The speed control may not arm until the throttle is below 1025
How the throttle might have gotten setup for a gas/glo engine is another question

I have 2 Spectrum DX-8s with different software revisions. One defaults to gas/glow on full model reset, the other to the 1000-2000 range.
I suppose that I should find out exactly why, but I'm a bit lazy.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Last edited by chuck75; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:04 PM
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Canada, MB, Division No. 1, Unorganized
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
Chuck,

I checked on some of the things you suggested and it turns out that the radio was the problem.

All the programming and settings have changed to default (like when it was first bought) so when I turned everything on, the ESC went into program mode instead of armed. While playing with the throttle, trying to get the motor to run and not knowing I was in program mode (because the throttle throw was not reversed), I changed the ESC settings (to who knows what)..

Starting from scratch and programming both the radio and then the ESC, I've managed to get the first motor running properly, now I have to work on all the servos to get the plane flying., and then, 6 more to go.

Thanks for the help.
Dave
kawika1kalina is offline Find More Posts by kawika1kalina