Closed Thread
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Discussion
3 meter Radian

I want a 3 - 4 meter Radian 'like' plane for ALES. Configuration would be RES , REF or just RE anyone know of such a plane?
r/cmark is online now Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by r/cmark; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Buy a spare Radian wing cut off the tips to give "new" center panels add new center panels (1 left and 1 right to old center sections. You will have to replace the carbon fiber tube with a longer one. You than will have a roughly three meter Radian.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Jul 2009
561 Posts
You might look at the Multiplex Cularis. It's not quite 3 meters but is a bit larger than the Radian.

Nevermind. I just saw the Radian part and it didn't sink in that you were looking for a RE.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:00 AM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,627 Posts
If you want to upgrade to a 3-4 meter glider and want a foam glider you will need to modify one. If you want a 3-4 meter glider then this is a good choice.

http://www.mmglidertech.com/oculus.php

Sherpa
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
I reckon there's a good reason why a 3m foam glider isn't being manufactured. It may be worthwhile thinking about that before cutting up a bunch of existing kits....

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:04 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Aug 2006
316 Posts
I'm with Woodstock on this one. What about the Bird of Time ARF? It's a 3m RE sailplane, and the electric conversion is fairly straightforward by all accounts.
Windknot is offline Find More Posts by Windknot
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Feb 2005
77 Posts
Mystique by Horizon Hobbies.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...9m-arf-EFL4905
soarx4 is online now Find More Posts by soarx4
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:21 PM
FLY FOR FUN - GLIDE FOR LOVE
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
you can try with the foam glider Phoeneix Evolution
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-6Ch-R...item4160551f77

or with the Mystique from e-flite.
pablo pinto is offline Find More Posts by pablo pinto
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Yeah, a buddy of mine and I tried increasing the wingspan of a radian by adding new center sections to the tip sections. We even bought a 6 foot carbon tube to use as a spar. Had to increase the rudder size as there wasn't sufficient authority with the stock one. I still felt like tke 2m Radian was a better plane. The extra weight of the increased span did help with penetration but the wing was still too flexible in "moving" air. I suppose one could spend some time fine tuning the design and show enough improvement to make it worth the effort, but I'm not gonna do it. The stock Radian flies too well for me to try to improve it. I'd just buy/build a bigger plane. If I was going to spend as much time as would be necessary to dial in a 3m radian, I'd rather build a woody. How bout' an OlyII or an Oly3...
http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:10 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
One way might be to get, used, one of those old gliders with 7037 airfoil that are now considered obsolete. At least if it's not too heavy. Ought to outperform a 3 meter Radian, anyway.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:15 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
I built a 120" Radian. It flies great. The wings needed to be covered with packing tape under tension to help with the flex. It's by no means a windy day plane. On calmer days it's a blast to fly. You don't have to increase the rudder throw or size to maintain authority but it sure helps. Here it is sitting next to the original version.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:05 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,766 Posts
Another 2.5m option http://www.bananahobby.com/diamond-2...5395-prd1.html Not saying it is a good plane, or a bad one, but an option.
skydvejam is online now Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:05 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
I built a 120" Radian. It flies great. The wings needed to be covered with packing tape under tension to help with the flex. It's by no means a windy day plane. On calmer days it's a blast to fly. You don't have to increase the rudder throw or size to maintain authority but it sure helps. Here it is sitting next to the original version.
H i Steve,
Do you have any details on the build? Pictures?

Thanks
r/cmark is online now Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:04 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
For the beginning of how I did it, see page 49 post #727 in the Radian thread. Link
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
574 Posts
One of our club members did an exquisite mod to stretch a Radian wing. He spliced in as much of the flat section of a second wing as possible. It turned it into a REAL sailplane. In winds less than 12 or so mph I would expect it to hold it's own with anything short of an AVA.
Ken
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread