HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:16 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
Discussion
when did the cost if shipping dictate what an item is worth?

Three or 4 times this week i have noticed theads where some shows they paid xxxx amount for 2 day shipping from hong kong as the reason they are asking an inflated amount for the product......

Now to be clear i have NO issue with the price anyone asks for or sells an item for i just thought this was a bit silly

It doesnt make the product any more valuable does it?!?!?

Flame proof suit on i guess lol

Just a thought
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:29 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
If you're calling the price of the item "inflated", it would seem like you do have an issue with the price no?

People can ask whatever they want for an item, and shipping. If it's reasonable to someone else, they buy it. If not, the usually hit the back key. If you paid a total of 100.00 for something and didn't use it, it's reasonable to expect you might want to get that money back, or at least try.

This topic comes up all the time, and the usual example that is used is the HK orange receivers that never seem to be in stock.

Then, the thread usually gets interesting. Overpriced shipping, who is a reseller, why do people sell for profit on here, I'm in this for the hobby, HK service is bad, and this and that seller scammed me.

Cold weather, snow, and lack of flying brings this out in folks.

porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:50 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,863 Posts
Trader Rating: 24
An item is worth just as much as someone is willing to pay! I can sell a loaf of bread for $1.99 here in the states; but if you were starving on an island without food, I'd bet I can get $1000.

Let's just say no one's forcing anyone to buy anything.

If this was the 80's or early 90's, I'd be with you; but today, it's easy to compare prices. Just a quick 'Google' search and you'd have the answer. If a buyer is too lazy, too unsmart, too whatever to do the research then too bad so sad!

I just have no sympathy for lazy folks that buy then get upset later that they paid too much!
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
Its not an issue with the price they are asking its an issue with adding the cost of their shipping to the product price then charging the buyer shipping .......on that same thought that buyer then adds his shipping cost to the sale of that same item ect

Point being shipping charges are for lack if a better phrase " the cost of doing buisiness " imo

Just thinking out loud i guess
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:55 PM
Changing one life at a time...
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
419 Posts
Trader Rating: 125
turbo, I haven't seen those listings, but I agree that how much the seller paid for shipping doesn't affect how much I think it is worth. It actually does the opposite and makes me think the seller is overcharging to recoup the extra shipping cost. I usually always pass on buying unless in a bind and really needing the part - I didn't make them pay extra for quicker shipping. With me, at least, you are better off not disclosing stuff like that.

porcia, I notice that TT gets a little weird when we can't fly. Maybe that explains why I have been replying to so many threads that I would usually just read, wonder about and move on
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Plans On My Build List
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Indeed, guilty as charged too. Fog and mist for the past few days. Late today it cleared and I thought about a quick flight but busy with work etc.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:26 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,851 Posts
Trader Rating: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Indeed, guilty as charged too. Fog and mist for the past few days. Late today it cleared and I thought about a quick flight but busy with work etc.

Winter brings out the worst of us...I'm tryin to lose weight...I had lost 60 #s before all the Kids came home for Xmas..I gained 34 during the holidays...

I been Peddlin my arce off over here....and the lakes are froze...I can't fish..I can't fly outside..but I have lost 10 of it...But Dayum I been pissed ever since the Grandkids left......Reckon its a Bad case of Cabin Fever..

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Wow...that's impressive, keep it off!

Can't fly or fish, oh man you got it rough!!!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,440 Posts
Trader Rating: 125
holy i wish bread was that cheap here lol its like $3.49 a loaf! day old so to speak might be $1.99
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:25 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,676 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
"...I can't fish..I can't fly outside.."
Reminds me of the old days when winter was spent tying fishing flies. Actually, many fond memories of those times, come t' think of it! Good dog half asleep by the fire on one hand, some good warmin' bourbon on the other........man what you talkin' about!
Good memories are just 'anticipation' in reverse.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:00 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,256 Posts
Trader Rating: 78
It all started when Al Gore invented the internet. Then that foreign guy invented ebay. BAM! International commerce for the common folk was realized. Whoa, it cost alotta jing to buy something out of oz and then ship it to the UK. Price just went up. But before that we had always factored shipping into our hobby toys. For years and years the best stuff came out of Germany and Japan. And that boys and girls is the story of how shipping cost has pretty much always dictated to a great extent the value of our hobby toys.
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:46 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
It's like this. If I were to buy life cells for $3 ea from HK. I buy 10. I pay shipping of $6. So that's $36 or $3.60 ea. I wait a month to get them.
Someone here wants one of those packs but would like it next week, so I think $3.60 + $2 shipping + $3 for my time might be reasonable, if I resold. So the $3 pack becomes $8.60. When people do that others feel it's a ripoff.
Some people don't want to use Paypal or a credit card on an internet site and especially out of country. Some want quick delivery. I see nothing wrong with the reseller. The buyer does not have to buy.
BUT they can buy those same packs in a different colour for $20+ from retailers. If they like, for example.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Last edited by 4*60; Jan 15, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:45 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,130 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
Free shipping

Ayup ! I include shipping in the price. I sell used,so no one knows what the item or the shipping actually costs-....seems to keep them happier that way.

But I had one guy ask what the shipping costs were,because he didn't want to pay too much for the kit ! Wait-WHAT?

It was sold before I had to answer his question.....

DO you want it or not?

I passed on four kits,until I found one at the price I was willing to pay.My choice.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:21 AM
r/c addict
USA, LA, DeRidder
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Trader Rating: 144
simply put.. your paying for a convenience
nitrodude71 is offline Find More Posts by nitrodude71
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:42 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Trader Rating: 27
Yes I agree, it might not do them a lot of good to state that the cost is from his choice of shipping, but if someone is willing to pay the price then it is sold, if not then something will happen, either they keep the goods, or they reduce the price.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam