HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JussiH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:56 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Sherrer LRS to futaba module conversion

I finally got around to converting an old FF9 FM module to Sherrer LRS TX600 module.

Instead of using the trainer port and bulky DIN connector, I decided to hack the old (useless 35mhz) module that came with the radio to make a module that would just snap in and give me a clean backside of the TX.

I think the Sherrer TX600 module is very well made, I really only have 2 things I didnt like about it:

The screws for the lid are extremely soft and glued in so tight that I managed to churn 2 screws when I tried to open it.... I really dont understand why someone would decide to use screws of so poor quality after having designed and milled such a nice case for it.... The fact that they are Phillips type instead of something more "modern" like Torx or Allen is beyond me...

When I get around to drilling out the 2 churned screws, I will replace them with better ones.

It should be noted that I have 2 of these modules and the other one comes apart with no problems.

The screw-in "military" DIN connector, is very bulky, so I had planned to route out some wires from inside the module bring those to the hacked Futaba FM module. But since I couldt get the lid off I had to figure out another way to do that...

I ended up making my own connector from some small gold connectors, some PCB and some G10 that I cut on my vertical CNC mill. It turned out rather decent, I think!

I did make some modifications to the radio, to bring the trainer port PPM line directly to the module connector. Basically I lifted one side of a Ferrite bead next to module bay signal pin. The I brought a wire from trainer port pin1 to the Ferrite bead to put the trainer port 5V PPM signal to the module bay connector.

I ended up doing that since the signal on Pin1 was very low, and pulling PPM up to 5V (like supposed to on a Futaba Radio), made the radio act up and enable RF, like it had the FM module inside, and it also acts up with a FrSky module that came with the radio. I am gonna look into that sometime. For now I just need the PPM sum stream for the sherrer module.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts