Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:43 AM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
Question
Flying A RC Twin Engined Airplane

Is flying a RC twin engined or more airplane more difficult then flying a RC single engined airplane?
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:58 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,466 Posts
No!.

I have built/owned/flew the following twins

Gus Morfiss plan built AeroCommander
Multiplex Twin Star (ARF)
Scratch built TwinBizJet
HVP DC3 (ARF)
Scratch built Piaggio P166
scratch-bashed Aeropia Commaggio (finished, ready for maiden)

All were/are powered by 6v S400's and/or 4.8v S400 EDF's. The TwinStar is now being pulled around by geared props. Used 8XCP1700's in all of them

No counter-rotation used, two were/are pushers, the rest were/are tractors. The only danger with a twin is losing a prop. The resulting asymetrical thrust can be tough to handle.

The Twin Star is, by far, the easiest, most forgiving plane I've ever flown.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Dec 21, 2003, 01:02 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Dudeck
No!.

I have built/owned/flew the following twins

Gus Morfiss plan built AeroCommander
Multiplex Twin Star (ARF)
Scratch built TwinBizJet
HVP DC3 (ARF)
Scratch built Piaggio P166
scratch-bashed Aeropia Commaggio (finished, ready for maiden)

All were/are powered by 6v S400's and/or 4.8v S400 EDF's. The TwinStar is now being pulled around by geared props. Used 8XCP1700's in all of them

No counter-rotation used, two were/are pushers, the rest were/are tractors. The only danger with a twin is losing a prop. The resulting asymetrical thrust can be tough to handle.

The Twin Star is, by far, the easiest, most forgiving plane I've ever flown.

That's good. My second RC airplane after the trainer might be a twin or multi engined airplane.
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:24 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
There is little to no difference you can feel between flying a twin and a single engine ship. I fly lots of twins and you would never know the difference if you didnt see them up close.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Dec 21, 2003, 04:00 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
My first electric -- and, actually, first powered model aircraft -- was a Graupner JU-52 with three motors; my second was a robbe Dash 7 with four motors; third was a robbe BAe-146 with four EDFs; my fourth was a robbe Commander with two motors. Whew!

By the time I got to a model with only one motor I thought something was missing. But that was only a mental vision. It doesn't make a bit of difference on the models' controlability -- unless one engine goes out and creates adverse thrust. Nonetheless, most of my planes are twin-engine aircraft.

(In the beginning, I had plenty of experience flying sailplanes and electrics was a natural next step. I'm also, more or less, self-taught.)
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Dec 21, 2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:23 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,313 Posts
My only twin at present is the Kavan Partenavia. It is really simple to build (I did it) and flies very well . Absolutely no bad habits. I have switched form the heavier 8xGP 3300 and now use 8 cells 1950 Sanyo. Handling is much lighter, and I can still manage 14 minutes of cruising around on the stock power sets. Props turn samd direction with no ill effects, and I don't worry about losing an "electric" engine in flight.

My Twinjet was a pusher twin and those props both rotated the same direction as well. Twins are a lot of fun, sound really neat, and always draw a crowd.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P