Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:35 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
447 Posts
Discussion
Powerlab 6 or Powerlab 8?

Hi Guys:

Does anyone know if there is a PL6 vs PL8 features thread or post someplace on RCG?

Threads with PowerLab 6 vs PowerLab 8 comparisons:Thanks to all of you who replied.
- Jim
JimHSoars is online now Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Last edited by JimHSoars; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added list of comparison sites to post #1.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:53 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,009 Posts
If you scroll down past the Quick Reply box beneath this thread, you'll see a couple of discussion threads about PL6 and PL8
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Software features wise they are identical I believe. The main difference is their input and charging power and of course 6s vs 8s.

Revolectrix has a comparison page:
http://www.revolectrix.com/product_selector.htm
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
447 Posts
Thanks guys!
JimHSoars is online now Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:12 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
There is one difference to consider between them.
The PL6 does not support balance tap only charging, the PL8 does.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
One very important thing that’s not is the comparison is balance current. If you charge large packs at high C you sometimes need a high balance current. Not sure about the PL6 but my PL8 V2 has up to 1 amp for each cell and each preset can have a different max value if you like. There are so many features and settings that you really have to own one to appreciate all the features. If you get one be sure and get the PC interface. It adds a whole additional level of flexibility and ease of use.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:30 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
I've answered this question a few times and decided to just add an PL6/PL8 FAQ to the FMA subforum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post23817006

Let me know if that doesn't address the question and I change, or add to it.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
I have to wonder what it would take for them to make a PL8 approximately the same size as the PL6. I have to think the majority of the size difference is the increased discharge capacity (which I don't need).

I want a PL6 but have a hard time swallowing the poor voltage range support. 408W on 12V isn't great for field charging from deep cycle.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:59 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I have to wonder what it would take for them to make a PL8 approximately the same size as the PL6. I have to think the majority of the size difference is the increased discharge capacity (which I don't need).

I want a PL6 but have a hard time swallowing the poor voltage range support. 408W on 12V isn't great for field charging from deep cycle.
Most put two 12v batteries in series for high wattage charging.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:35 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Most put two 12v batteries in series for high wattage charging.
I would sooner buy a generator then lug around 2 batteries. One deep cycle has enough capacity for me.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:45 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:

Heat is generated during charging as well as during discharging and keeping electronics cooler adds to thier service life in most all cases. Building chargers with mininum heat sinking and cooling causes way to many problems. One of the very popular charger lines is fairly well noted for developing issues if operated at anywhere near thier rated max. discharge rates.

I feel the 12V or even 24V power levels should be takem with a grain of salt if one is using deep cycles that are not under constant charge as voltage drop can be rather serious at 20,30,40,50,60 amps. Many try to get by with lower Ah Pbs that likely will quickly fall to 11V or less under serious loads.

Powerlab 6 was developed and released to be cost competitive with some of the other charger for those who felt the Powerlab 8 was just to much charger for thier needs and budget.

I casualy questioned the logic of a PL6 as I had no idea it could be pulled off at the reduced price point that it was.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:30 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I casualy questioned the logic of a PL6 as I had no idea it could be pulled off at the reduced price point that it was.
The price point confuses me a little as well when you look at the price of the 10XP. Only $15 price difference between those two just doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,247 Posts
Quote:
The price point confuses me a little as well when you look at the price of the 10XP. Only $15 price difference between those two just doesn't make sense to me.
Really, two different chargers. The Cellpro10 platform is smaller sized but goes up to 10s and has dual port safe serial charging. There are some modelers that prefer to charge serially, up to 10s and this works well for that scenario. I have an old Cellpro10s and I still enjoy using it charge some of my 3s packs (two at a time) which do not do well when parallel charged.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:02 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
I suspect the Cellpro 10 series is very popular with the pattern guys who fly a lot of 10s packs almost exclusively.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:12 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
I suspect the Cellpro 10 series is very popular with the pattern guys who fly a lot of 10s packs almost exclusively.
I actually got into 1/10 car racing recently and was shocked at just how many Cellpro 10S I see at the track. It's the most common charger there without a doubt.