HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:22 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,973 Posts
Discussion
Wing depression fix

I've got a small depression on the top of the wing of my composite glider "Tool". I think this was made from the previous owner squeezing the wing to tightly when trying to install or remove the wings from the fuse.

Is there a way to remove these depressions by drilling a small hole in the low spot and using a metal "hook" help raise it level with heat? Or just fill it with G/flex epoxy from CST and micro ballons? Or any recommondations on a different method?

I also have a question about G/flex. I've heard that G/flex sands very easy. Is it easier to sand than regular Wes systems epoxy or Aerospace Composites E-X lam?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad View Post
I've got a small depression on the top of the wing of my composite glider "Tool". I think this was made from the previous owner squeezing the wing to tightly when trying to install or remove the wings from the fuse.

Is there a way to remove these depressions by drilling a small hole in the low spot and using a metal "hook" help raise it level with heat? Or just fill it with G/flex epoxy from CST and micro ballons? Or any recommondations on a different method?

I also have a question about G/flex. I've heard that G/flex sands very easy. Is it easier to sand than regular Wes systems epoxy or Aerospace Composites E-X lam?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin
Kevin,

See this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1805581

Preston
jaizon is online now Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:40 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,973 Posts
Thanks Preston, I'm going to try it tonight and post the results.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
Steam.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:30 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,973 Posts
Well, I tried the wet paper towel and covering iron method at least a dozen times with little results. I have applied the iron (highest temp setting) on the spot with increasingly longer amounts of time (10-15 seconds), moving the iron around slowly until the paper is close to dry.

The depressions look about the same, maybe slightly less, but no obvious results.

Maybe it's the carbon in this wing that is preventing the movement.

I do have a garment steamer and could apply raw steam to the area. Any thoughts?

Kevin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
I resently steamed out a tire track out of the inbd panel of my Orion DLG and it's almost gone. I did it while steaming some brocoli.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
338 Posts
I'd suggest filling it with lightweight spackle, sand/prime/sand smooth and paint or cover it to match the surroundings.
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:45 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,916 Posts
I find that the steaming method works well only on those skins using a foam backed substrate
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,711 Posts
Blue foam, kevlar skin. Don't need to spackle them I'll be getting another Orion in March. I'm not good enough to notice the difference in performance before I steamed the wing or after. I'm happy with it for now. My next one will be an ounce and a half lighter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:10 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,169 Posts
I thought the Tool was hollow molded. The heat/steam method works on foam core bagged wings but I did not think it would work on a hollow molded wing.

I think you will have to fill and sand. I would probably use epoxy and micro balloons to impart strong adheasion as well as some strength and flex to the patch. I would think lightweight filler/spackle would crack and pop due to the flex of the wing.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:54 AM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,091 Posts
The wing I did mine on in the thread listed above was a new Supra Spread Carbon.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:42 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,973 Posts
Yes, the Tool is a molded glider with hollow carbon wings.

I'll try the garment machine steam first. If that doesn't work it's back to fill and sand.

jaizon, how long did you have the iron over the dent during your process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I thought the Tool was hollow molded. The heat/steam method works on foam core bagged wings but I did not think it would work on a hollow molded wing.

I think you will have to fill and sand. I would probably use epoxy and micro balloons to impart strong adheasion as well as some strength and flex to the patch. I would think lightweight filler/spackle would crack and pop due to the flex of the wing.
Last edited by RCDad; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad View Post
Yes, the Tool is a molded glider with hollow carbon wings.

I'll try the garment machine steam first. If that doesn't work it's back to fill and sand.

jaizon, how long did you have the iron over the dent during your process?
Not that long. One time I left it on too long and the paper towel turned brown, but other than that a few seconds at a time.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:38 AM
United States, MI, Hudsonville
Joined Oct 2011
45 Posts
Zoloft........
Swasimoto is offline Find More Posts by Swasimoto
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:05 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,466 Posts
beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swasimoto View Post
Zoloft........
I was gonna say they get depressed from not flying much in the winter!

I have not made this repair...yet, I have heard of gluing a tooth pic tip to the lowest part of the dent to pull on while applying heat. There are posts on cutting the dented part out , fix the underfoam, if it has it or needs it ,then gluing in a patch for the composite surface.
ozmo01 is online now Find More Posts by ozmo01