HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:58 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,506 Posts
Discussion
Indoor flying - foamie & micro time slots?

With our indoor season underway, we've consistently drawn more pilots each time. This last weekend showed 26 pilots and several spectators. This time in-particular...the airspace was extremely crowded and busy.

We've had a couple people comment that they are scared to fly their micros when bigger foamies and helis are out there as the micros always take the bulk of the damage. Several younger pilots are becoming discouraged as they usually go home with broken planes, not to their fault. A suggestion was brought up to try and divide the time between foamies/helis/micros. While I see the argument, policeing the airspace every 15 minutes sounds like a pain, especially since we are there for 4+ hours at a time.

Can everyone else comment on how their airspace is handled when flying indoors?
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,308 Posts
I fly with a group in a single-court gym. In the past, we had more members and a wide variety of small plane categories that guys brought. To preserve the integrity of the smallest planes, we had time slots for different categories, and it worked out well. The duration of the "slots" were slightly longer than the time the typical battery life for that category. As long as the time slots are organized so that similar speed planes fly together, the chances of mid-airs are reduced. For instance, we had several Cessna Miniums (remember those?) flying at once with similar-size-and-speed planes, then a slot with a gazillion (well........) Vapors, etc. Then we had an "open" slot where the larger (but fewer) planes went up. These slots were then cycled through again, allowing time for battery charges in between.

This all worked well, and our host and organizer was always open to suggestions.

As far as heli's are concerned, they are still relegated to the corners of the facility, where they have the least impact on planes which are turning, well clear of the corners.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:22 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,506 Posts
Interesting. How were the timeslots handled? Did someone make an announcement every X minutes?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
Thats how its been at both local clubs' indoor events. 15 minutes for foamies, for helis and for micros. Some guys still don't like it and want to do a separate event for micros, which i wouldn't mind but i do fly helis as well so i am not terribly bothered by it.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Interesting. How were the timeslots handled? Did someone make an announcement every X minutes?
A schedule was posted, so everyone knew the setup. Times varied by the number and typical flight duration for each category.

Yes, each slot came with gentle reminders.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
109 Posts
We also fly in a single gym sized area, and if there's a reasonable number of people there, we do slow planes, fast planes, and helis in separate sessions. I think our sessions are about 10 minutes each. We've got a 3 sided sign that says what the current session is and a timer to do the session timing. Personally I think it's worked out pretty well, and as far as I know hasn't generated any complaints. If the number of people gets low enough, then we drop the restrictions on what's flying.
cardsQC is offline Find More Posts by cardsQC
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:01 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
We fly in a single court gym. Most time is open flying and it's mostly cubs and champs with a few T-28's and extras, helis also fly in this time. We have a few Vapor flys for 15 minutes that include anything that flies "vapor like". Then a couple time slots for large 3D. If I ask I usually get the air to myself for a couple minutes to fly stick and tissue.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:52 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,506 Posts
Thanks for everyone's comments!