HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:14 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Inverness
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Discussion
Newbie help! rudder problems

Hi, I am a newbie to the world of RC helicopter. I have a good few hours under my belt on a simulator and took my new (granted not the best choice for beginners) Wasp X3v 6 channel flybarless heli out for a hover!.

Well I have amassed about half and hours flight time, just in slow and deliberate loops, forwards backwards, hovers etc. However I had a heavy landing and since my bird just spins in an anti clockwise position when any throttle applied. No amount of rudder will change it. I had to replace a tail rotor blade but have done so according to the book (I think lol) I have tried the rear blades both ways without success. Anyhow, could somebody have a look at the attached link and tell me if the servo is acting as should. I would have though it would have come back to the "center|" or staring point when the rudder stick is released. Sometimes it seems to on left rudder movement, sometimes on right but on other occasions it does not for one or other. I hope this makes sense,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9EvHZX4Ywek

Thanks in advance,

Hec
hecmac is offline Find More Posts by hecmac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:40 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecmac View Post
Hi, I am a newbie to the world of RC helicopter. I have a good few hours under my belt on a simulator and took my new (granted not the best choice for beginners) Wasp X3v 6 channel flybarless heli out for a hover!.

Well I have amassed about half and hours flight time, just in slow and deliberate loops, forwards backwards, hovers etc. However I had a heavy landing and since my bird just spins in an anti clockwise position when any throttle applied. No amount of rudder will change it. I had to replace a tail rotor blade but have done so according to the book (I think lol) I have tried the rear blades both ways without success. Anyhow, could somebody have a look at the attached link and tell me if the servo is acting as should. I would have though it would have come back to the "center|" or staring point when the rudder stick is released. Sometimes it seems to on left rudder movement, sometimes on right but on other occasions it does not for one or other. I hope this makes sense,

Thanks in advance,

Hec
Pick it up and wag it back and forth, does the tail servo move by itself? if yes then its likely too low of gain of the crash knocked your hub lose on the tail shaft. If no then check you gyro is on (Heading hold not rate) and they sensitivity is high enough.
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,631 Posts
Somehing to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecmac View Post

Thanks in advance,

Hec
I just checked my Wasp and my servo acts the same as yours. I think your problem might be in the tail rotor. When the heli is powered up there should be an equal amount of tail rotor shaft visible on either side of the slider and the blades should be at or near zero pitch. Also make sure that there is enough tension on the belt and that it's not slipping. Also check the tiny set screw in the rotor hub to make sure the hub isn't slipping on the rotor shaft. Good luck.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
Pick it up and wag it back and forth, does the tail servo move by itself? if yes then its likely too low of gain of the crash knocked your hub lose on the tail shaft. If no then check you gyro is on (Heading hold not rate) and they sensitivity is high enough.

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply. The servo does indeed move when its on and moved. I will give it a try turning the sensitivity up (I have a small linkage to replace prior to trying!).

Thanks again for the advice

Hec
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
I just checked my Wasp and my servo acts the same as yours. I think your problem might be in the tail rotor. When the heli is powered up there should be an equal amount of tail rotor shaft visible on either side of the slider and the blades should be at or near zero pitch. Also make sure that there is enough tension on the belt and that it's not slipping. Also check the tiny set screw in the rotor hub to make sure the hub isn't slipping on the rotor shaft. Good luck.
Genius!, the tiny grub rotor is also missing! guessing thats not going to help. I have a small linkage to replace and will pop the grub screw in. Thanks again for the help.

Hec
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:30 PM
Jim
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Hec,
I'm in the exact same situation you were in last month.

I had a slight crash that resulted in a broken vertical tail fin that I've replaced.
Now, the copter will do nothing but spin nose left. No matter how much right rudder I apply, just a solid counter clockwise spin when with any kind of lift.

The servo and linkage seems to be acting as expected. If I hold it and wag the tail, the gyro causes it to adjust the tail rotor angles as expected.

So, I'm stuck too. What was the linkage and screw you had to replace?
I don't see it on the manual parts diagram.

Thanks for any advice.
candj is offline Find More Posts by candj