HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:42 AM
Beginner Ninja
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Discussion
looking for 250 rc heli... I think... need help

I just had major surgery on my shoulder and will be homebound for weeks. I also have $200 from christmas to use for my rc needs. So just recently I have been wanting an rc plane, specifically one of banana hobbies f22 gyro stabilized edf jets. Then I saw the zephyr z70. Loved i and wanted it. unfortunately i think its a bit big for my britches and I should stay conservative... then post surgery I realized hand launches are out if the question and I'm not traveling from the house to go fly a plane. I decided i should go with another heli but bigger than my prior micro 4 ch fixed pitch heli's. I became quite good at flying these and probably got too aggressive dumping them into dives in quest for speed. So I figured a more serious fixed pitch would be great; I dont really feel like going inverted.

So now to the questions. I have $200 to spend on what I presume to be a 250 size fixed pitch helicopter. I want to be able to get a transmitter that i could also use on a zephyr or another edf plane with v tail mixing or delta wing configuration in the future. I need a charger, a few batteries, and spare breakables in this budget as well.

also if willing to move up to a 450 what are the benefits?

at the 250 level can it still be brought into a house or would it need to be smaller?

Thanks ahead
sethck is offline Find More Posts by sethck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:09 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,677 Posts
A 250 is too big for indoors and an FP heli with better performance than most micros will be hard to find. What 4 channel FP micro do you currently have?
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
Beginner Ninja
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
the 9958
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:06 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,677 Posts
The 9958 is about as good as it gets for FP heli performance these days, with the possible exception of the Blade 120SR. There are a number of toy companies making highly stabilized and damped 45° offset flybar helis, but you would find their performance is extremely limited. The only other option would be the Walkera V200D01, which is outdated, so parts could be difficult to find. Flybarless CP helis and quads have pretty well taken over the market you are interested in. If you don't mind a quad, your options are much better.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
Beginner Ninja
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
hmm good info. i was looking at the v200 but i guess thats old hat so cp is where its going... maybe i should look into that.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:33 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,677 Posts
With a 9958 as your primary training, a CP heli would be quite a leap. But, a flybarless micro is very durable, so it will withstand a fair amount of abuse while you learn. The problem is the better options won't fit your budget. My choice would be a BNF Blade MCPx or Nano, with a used DX6i or Hobby King orange transmitter. That should be not to fair out of budget and give you a versatile, programmable transmitter. You could also opt for a Walkera Genius V2. My experience with Walkera is that their product line is very volatile and it is hard to keep track of compatibility and availability.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:20 PM
Beginner Ninja
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
would the devo 7 tx be useable on airplanes as well?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:18 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,677 Posts
If you can find a receiver that will work. As far as I know, Walkera doesn't have any stand-alone receivers that are compatible. The Devo 7 is hard to program, too.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:11 AM
Beginner Ninja
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
i seem to get slightly conflicting information on the tx and its application to other rc's, specifically planes. So can you purchase another receiver and put it in say an airplane. Is it economically feasible. If not how should i go about purchasing a more universal tx and will it not work as well with those 3 or 6 axis gyros.

On another note ive settled on a 120 or similar size and i'm looking for some durability. Although http://www.wowhobbies.com/walkera_su...arf-4-1-1.aspx seems pretty nice but smaller (super cp w/devo 7e) if i can use this tx for future rc planes.

let me know what you think
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:23 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,583 Posts
@Balr14
I'm not sure what you mean, there's an airplane mode on the Tx. The labeling is apparently wonky (Uses helicopter terms in airplane mode apparently), but Normal, Delta and V-Tail types are listed in the menus.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,677 Posts
I am not aware of any stand-alone receivers that are compatible with the latest Devo transmitters. All of Walkera's recent efforts have been on 4 in 1 units that use 3.7v. I am aware you can use the transmitter for planes, it's just finding a receiver that's the issue. The only possibility I know of is the receiver used in the V450D01 and that's anything but a slam dunk. Programming the original Devo 7 is different and there isn't much info to help you.

You should be aware that flybarless FP micro helis tend to exhibit more quirks than flybarless CP micros. Flybarless control programs work a lot better with consistent rpms. For that reason, if I was going flybarless, I'd just go to CP. There's almost no difference in mechanical complexity or durability. One more point, all flybarless Walkera helis need better servos... immediately.

The latest Walkera products are pretty good, but their short life cycles make buying them an adventure.

I suggested the Blade MCPx or Blade Nano because it's readily available and will be for years. The same for the DX6i, plus there are many receiver models that work with it, from as little as $9. I'm not saying they are better than Walkera, just one hell of a lot less hassle.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:00 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,583 Posts
Why wouldn't an RX701 work on a plane? All you need to wire it to the plane is attach the servos to the appropriate sockets. Even the aelerons are actually separate channels.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Why wouldn't an RX701 work on a plane? All you need to wire it to the plane is attach the servos to the appropriate sockets. Even the aelerons are actually separate channels.
You would know a lot more about that than I would, so jump right in. My Walkera knowledge has become dated since I no longer own any of their products. Do their receivers that don't have telemetry work with the new transmitters that do, or vise-versa?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Beginner Ninja
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
could you pair a 4ch receiver (lower cost) into a rc plane and pair it with the 7 ch devo. oh yeah 7e or 7 . seems like both have their own benefits.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:38 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,677 Posts
Yes. But, Hajile may know if they make a compatible 4 channel standalone receiver.