Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:42 AM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
941 Posts
Question
Neptune a Good First Submarine??

Hey guys.

I'm looking into the Thunder Tiger Neptune, but I have ZERO experience with RC submarines. I've got experience with everything else, but no submarines at all.

I'm just wondering if it's a good product to get my feet wet in this aspect of the hobby?? I'd be using it in water that's about 5 feet deep and crystal clear off of the dock at the boat club.

Anything that needs to be upgraded to it right off the bat? Or is it fairly shipshape right out of the box??

I don't have a ton of spare time, so modding things is do-able, but I'd rather spend my time sailing/driving instead of wrenching and cutting.

Thanks!
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
27 Posts
It's a log in the water - boring! Get something exciting like Moebius' Skipjack
thunderguts is offline Find More Posts by thunderguts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:07 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
941 Posts
I'm not interested at all in attempting to build a kit for my first submarine.

And honestly, with the stress that I deal with every day...the more boring (to me, relaxing) the better.

I have my most fun on the water with my Bristol Bay, the most fun in the air with my Night Vapor, and the most fun on the ground with my trail trucks (SCX-10, Crawler King, Summit in low gear).
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
906 Posts
If it's a ready to run sub, aside from cheap toy subs, which are pretty grim, then really the Neptune is the only game in town, unless you're willing to drop some serious wedge on a custom turnkey build.

But do bear in mind that submarines are the most high maintenance R/C vehicles out there, so you will need to strip down and maintain the beast from the time to time if it's to remain reliable.

It's not a fast boat as standard, but performance can be enchanced considerably with a different prop and/or replacement motor.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:11 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
941 Posts
Thanks sub culture.

I would assume that the maintenance necessary is outlined in the manual?? Or is it something that I would need to get the run down from somewhere else??

I've had trouble finding lots of information about it...it seems that this area of the hobby is about the smallest sub-genre, and information isn't nearly as abundant as it is for other areas of the hobby. I also couldn't download the manual from the Thunder Tiger site for some reason, despite the fact that I think I found it...the PDF just wouldn't load.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:00 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
906 Posts
There is only a small amount of guidance given in the manual regarding maintenance.

Maintenance on something like the Neptune consists of checking the control systems, failsafes, mechanical linkages are sound, making sure the seals for the hull and control shafts are okay, and lubricated using a suitable grease (silicone grease is often used), and worth applying a little light oil to the motor bearings for both the main drive and water pump evry 6 months or so, maybe more often if you're a heavy user.

Apart from the hull seals, this is the kind of maintenance you would perform on any working model.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
I too want to get into rc submarines, and having been eyeing one of these. So take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I don't have any first had experience with one.

I know that the Neptune will be my first purchase as far as rc submarines. I would kind of like to build one if a simple sub was avaliable, but all of the kits seem quite involved, and I like the fact that there are replacement parts and upgrades for the Neptune. I have seen prop upgrades, external light kits, and of course the camera options avaliable (although I don't think any are essential).

I probably won't order one for a couple of months because the lakes where I live are iced over at the moment. Anyways, if you decide to get one I would love to hear your experiences with it.
mikethenerd2 is offline Find More Posts by mikethenerd2
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:28 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
941 Posts
Hi Mike.

The lakes where I live are all iced over as well.

I'm kind of nervous about potentially getting one and running it in a lake. I know it's got some failsafes on it, but it's a pretty large investment to end up somehow losing in a lake. And if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck.

With that said, it's still at the top of my list. The only other thing I'm interested in getting right now is another monster truck, but I've got like four of them right now, including three that have all been run only once or not at all...so I don't think another monster truck is necessary at all.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Oh I see you are from Michigan, well hello neighbor. I live up in the UP of Michigan.

I understand the concern about losing it. From what I have read the Neptune does has a few failsafes which is impressive, but obviously nothing is for certain.

RC monster trucks are pretty neat by the way, I have been looking at those as well. So far I am just into rc tanks, semi trucks, and airplanes (airplanes- talk about worrying about destroying your investment). The rc stuff is just so addictive! I keep watching videos of the Neptune and just know I have to have one.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:43 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
906 Posts
Submarines are not 100% failsafe, no matter what devices you put onboard. Anyone experienced at this game, if they're honest, will admit they've had to go for a swim to recover their pride and joy at one time or another.

Stick to cars tanks and boats if you're worried about losing it, or run it in a pond or pool where you can recover it easily if (when) something does go wrong.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:46 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
941 Posts
I've been doing some reading, and it seems it may actually be better to use these subs in a lake than in a pool.

I had no idea that the cleaning medium used in most swimming pools (chlorine, salt, or a mixture of the two) would be so deterimental to the range of the sub.

I've read about people getting dive depths of as low as 2 feet in a normal, everyday pool.

Looks like if I wanted to get one, the lake would be by far the best bet for using it. I suppose when I'm not on the dock and wanted to go into deeper water, I could always just hop on the 1:1 and go throw anchor in the clear water and have at it!!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:00 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
ugly sub!I like navy submarine.
ZL Zhang is offline Find More Posts by ZL Zhang
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:37 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
941 Posts
I don't really think it's ugly.

I like the way it looks.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:38 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
I actually really like how it looks as well. It kind of makes me laugh. I like scale navy subs too, but they are more serious looking than the Neptune.