Originally Posted by aerophilia View Post
Holy cow! How big is the Catalina!!
Ya think?
Zootster is offline Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:29 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,368 Posts
Started raining about midday, we had to leave at 1.30 still raining. I feel for the organisers, it would have been a great day otherwise. I didn't even get to see any flying much and the flight line was under covers. Still, had a nice drive with the missus and grabbed a couple of goodies from the retailers that were there.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:24 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
678 Posts
Had the pleasure of seeing about two hrs of fantastic flying before mother nature turned out for the worst. Thought we could push through the rain but with two kids in tow, they couldn't.
My compliments to the organisers for a great show on and off the ground. Plenty of things to keep the kids occupied as they loved the RC tank battles.

Was well thought of in its planning and execution. Loved looking at the trophies as they made me wish I was a better flyer.

Already looking forward to doing it all again next year.

Few points to make it even better- add extra speakers down the flanks as I sat down near the WW2 vehicles and could not really hear the announcer.
-Have a stand set up by either MAAQ or MAAA so spruke what they can do for the flying noobs and direct them to a good club, or even bring in AMAS.
-On one of the adjacent field set up instructors with TX on buddy cables and easy to fly planes to capture the hearts of future pilots. Once they have that initial fly they will be hooked.
-Bring in Hobby King for some serious bargains and competition.
-Possibly having one of the days also as a swap meet held in the carpark. Good way to draw flyers in not only to see the flying but get that bonus plane after getting rid on another one.

I am so glad I attended even though it rained. Beautiful place, planes and flying.

Well done to all concerned.

Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:17 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,130 Posts
Yeah we also made the trek out. You couldn't help but feel for Chris gratton and Steve Thomas, you could see the disappointment on their faces over the weather.

We got there a little before twang because I got to see one of Ail Machinchi's flight with a moki powered robart P-47, so that ticked a box for me. Would have loved to have seen more but left slightly after the mass exsodus.

The prizes and trophies looked awesome!! And that wasn't helped when one of the judges I knew asked why I wasn't competing?? I did not I could, thought it was by invitation only, but it turns out you have to apply first. Ah well, has spurred me on to get my FW-190 properly detailed and ready for next year/time.

Thanks

Dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Last edited by ticketec; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,368 Posts
You'll need to work out which way is up before you get an invitation...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,783 Posts
was it only a Saturday event?

Man the weather can be a bstd sometimes. Sorry to hear that it was washed out, events like this are too few and far between.

Twang, Ticketec posted it like that for the people in the northern hemisphere....
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
We got there about 7.30 am, saw plenty of brilliant flying before the weather arrived. Even then plenty of pilots kept us entertained once the rain eased off. Ali and Mike were awesome. Holy cow that turbine powered carbon glider thing was unbelievable. 180 degree turns at near 300 kph and apparently that is the low powered version!

Even though I fly foamies, made me want to get home and practice.

Even sponsorship and support is always welcomed but I didn't think the traders did themselves too many favours. I picked up some tools and bits and pieces from my regular guy but would have though there would have been a few deals on offer for planes to shift some stock. I took my "hobby budget" with me but brought nearly all of it home.

I was wondering if there was any news about the reason(s) for the loss of that turbine?

Cheers

Shaun
wesmantooth is offline Find More Posts by wesmantooth
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:58 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang View Post
You'll need to work out which way is up before you get an invitation...
Thanks danny

My new iPhone really didn't want to post any pic's the right way up

Now that I have got back home from work here you go....

Thanks

dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,368 Posts
Weather aside, it was great to see something like this organised and sponsored in Queensland and I hope they aren't put off and we see it again. I would have liked to see more retail/wholesale support, although the guys that were there seemed to be doing alright.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:12 PM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,766 Posts
The Show Went on

Guys, I wish you had hung around, the worst of the rain passed in about 90 mins, then as it eased, Ken got his jet trainer into the air. There were 3 flights of that, with some of the non-jet guys getting the controls for a wazz.
One of the blokes was performing a split S on the 3rd flight when the elevator servo failed. The result was most impressive.

So the rain Saturday didn't wash us out, it merely put us on pause for a couple of hours.

Also a nice crowd of about 600 turned up Sunday to see some more very impressive comp flying
As far as sugguestions I have read here, thank you. I will be addressing those with the SGAI Committee at the de brief next weekend.

For those who did come out, thank you. I hope you had a good time, and enjoyed the Fantastic facility built by Chris Gratton.

I was the Bloke in the Yellow shirt with the camera vest with all the pockets, and the camera around his neck.

If you didn't see it, here's the link to the 7 News story by Peter Doherty.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/natio...ow-in-ipswich/

I'll be updating with pics as I go over the next week or so.

Thanks all.
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Rob Knox; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:15 PM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec View Post
It's a 1.5hr mission from here and seeing as I've just finished work and its 2am, not keen to go out just to look at a boggy field.

But having said that, Gratton field is a great field to fly from. I was really sad when Chris bought in $100 a year fee's to fly at the warbird events. would have happily paid $10 each time we went there but we only get to 2-3 events a year so $100 was just wayy to much.having said that, he has poured some serious $$$$ into his field.

We'll see what the weather is like in the morning.

Thanks

dave
Dave, you can talk to Chris to organize a "Pay as You Play" situation with him. Chris and the guys realise we can't always make it, so, feel free to come out to the next warbirds and chat to Chris.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Margate
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Got out there on Sat about an hour before the rain set in and was very impressed with what we saw. The speed of the glider thing with the jet attached was unbelievable! Drooled over the display of the large scale warbirds, Catalina, Mosquito, Blackwidow etc and was disapointed they didn't get in the air, I presume due to weather.
Felt very sorry for the guy with the twin boom jet that went in nose first at speed. There wasn't a reconisable part in the handfuls of wreckage the rescue team brought back.

What happened on Sunday? was the weather any better?

By late arvo on Saturday the entrance to the carpark had turned in to a liquid swamp and if Sunday was as wet it would have been 4WD only.

Stil haven't worked out how those aerobatic helicopter stay in the air, I presume they have never heard of Sir Issac Newton
VC10 is offline Find More Posts by VC10
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Numinbah Valley
Joined May 2011
107 Posts
Hey Rob it was good to catch up with you and the other ex green guys after all those years!!

Guys you should have come out Sunday the Wx was perfect the flying was awesome the crowd was huge was a very very good event!!!! Hats off to the organisers.
stormysrider is offline Find More Posts by stormysrider
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:51 PM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormysrider View Post
Hey Rob it was good to catch up with you and the other ex green guys after all those years!!

Guys you should have come out Sunday the Wx was perfect the flying was awesome the crowd was huge was a very very good event!!!! Hats off to the organisers.
That you Jase?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair