HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:34 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
299 Posts
Discussion
Telling difference between 3-axis and 6-axis

I guess this must be a question that is ringing on minds of amateurs like me when talking about quad rotors.

Many advertisement talks about having 6-axis versus 3-axis. However, I cannot really tell the difference between these two. Is the 6-axis supposed to have better self-levelling ability compared to a 3-axis setup? Here are my observations from my quads:

SH 6043 - Levels almost instantly when I release the right stick.
V929/V939 - Does not really level, needs stick correction.
HJ 997 mini-pet - Levels itself if I move right stick and release it quickly.
Walkera Ladybird V2 (Devo4) - Levels almost instantly when I release the right stick.

Based on what I know about the quad rotors I have, only the HJ 997 minipet has a 6-axis gyro. Though the Walkera Ladybird V2 is supposed to have "only" a 3-axis gyro, I found the self-stabilisation ability to be much better compared to the rest of the quads I have.

Also, based on what I already have, what would be a good quad rotor to get. I am considering between the Hubsan X4 and V202. I already have a Vitality H36 on the way.

Comments please?
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:05 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Deleted dbl...
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
I guess this must be a question that is ringing on minds of amateurs like me when talking about quad rotors. Also, based on what I already have, what would be a good quad rotor to get. I am considering between the Hubsan X4 and V202. I already have a Vitality H36 on the way.

Comments please?
The quads I fly in this size are the QRLB V1 and the 202. I like them both very much for some of the same and differing reasons.

The QRLB V2 ( which you have) Is supposed to be a virtual copy of V1 in flight characteristics, so I'll leave that alone.

Never flown the Hubsan, have read many tales of mechanical woes though, especially motor protection and spare part availability. I've also read it's very nimble, fast and precise.

The 202 - Less than half the price of the QRLB V1 and a programable Tx package, and about the same as the Hubsan, with flight characteristics virtually as good once you get used to it.

WL Toys have somehow done an amazing job with the firmware that runs the 202. Flips are effortless and at upper rates tight banked turning is also possible.
For the money it's a great choice. It does have trimming issues out of the box but they can be addressed.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Last edited by BD Murdock; Jan 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:02 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Heusden Gem Heusden
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
I'm no where near an expert but from what I can tell the difference between 3 and 6 axis is that in 6 axis the accelaration is checked too not only the angle.
This means that 3 axis stabalised platform can not correct against drift and wind as good as a 6 axis system can, the self leveling is more what the software does with the input of the gyro and accelaromators. comparable to heading lock and rate lock gyros, they are both the same hardware, just different software, in fact more advanced gyros can do both.
pe1rdw is offline Find More Posts by pe1rdw
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:07 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,385 Posts
Hi T,

The SH-6043 actually does have both gyros and accelerometers. The ad is a bit miss-leading in its use of 4-axis: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=84

The Walkera QR Ladybird V1 will self-level when it is in the normal mode faster at greater angles than the Ladybird V2 that does not use an accelerometer, but has a virtual accelerometer in the flight code. A virtual accelerometer coded multicopter will drift over time and require trim corrections. It will not be able to correct as quickly as a multicopter fitted with an accelerometer and will usually eventually correct to close to level only if the angle is less than about 45 degrees.

See: --Micro quads comparisons 101

Note: Some flight controller coding and PID settings for accelerometers can make those multicopters fitted with them look to be more "nervous" when they are fighting the wind to stay level, especially when directly compared to gyro only multicopters. While that makes it easier for a Noob to not lose control in windy conditions too, it can make AVP shaky. The code in pricier multicopters can be adjusted to suit the conditions using a setup utility or in some cases adjusting an on-board potentiometer. The QR Ladybird V1 has a potentiometer on the flight controller for such purposes. Some multicopter coding is better than others at allowing the accelerometer to do its job updating the real level for the gyros to then use do their angle control job without adding excessive nervous looking corrections.

All these micro quads are fun when flown within their flight performance limits. I personally rank the Hubsan X4 just under the Walkera QR Ladybird for flight performance when the LB is used with the 2402d Tx or a better Walkera hobby grade Tx such as the DEVO 6, 7 etc. I suggest that you get an X4 next: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...07&postcount=2 There is actually some Deviation firmware and a A7105 transceiver that can be added to some Walkera Tx's that will allow the better Walkera Tx's to be used with the Hubsan X4. thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=x4+deviat

Here is another link from the Mini and Micro Multicopter section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
that will help you if you get a Hubsan X4:
--Improving Hubsan X4 flight performance 101

More info can be found in the Mini and Micro Multicopter section of the
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:40 PM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
301 Posts
TF, the H-36 you are waiting for is a very nice bird. Since my arrived a week ago I burn a couple of batteries every day inside or outside.
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:03 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
My UDIRC U816 was my first quad with "6 axis gyro".

The main thing I notice is that if I hold it and tip it sideways, the blades on the opposite side immediately rev up much higher to try and correct/balance the unwanted tipping. Neither my Ladybug or my X1 do that.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead