HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:25 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Discussion
FPV on a budget? Hook me up if you can!

I've got a fairly decent flying hexacopter going right now as part of an independent study course for school, and they just approved me for $300 for an FPV system.
I already have a gopro which I believe I can tap off of, so does anyone have suggestions for a good solid system (as in everything I need, from goggles or a ground station to tx/rx and anything extra) that will work?

I'm flying on a JR X9303 2.4 right now, and in terms of range I want as much as I can get, but right now I can't see flying more than a mile out, though I'd like the capability of course.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it's be great, there's just an absolutely overwhelming array of information out there. Thanks!!
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:33 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2012
350 Posts
Fatshark Predator costs $300 and gives you everything you need to fly FPV. No soldering, just plug and play
jolyboy is offline Find More Posts by jolyboy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined May 2012
545 Posts
You'll need to use a screen for a <$300 system. Goggles are simply too expensive.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...ex&cPath=11_22

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ansmitter.html + http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html will give you more range than the 600mw immersionrc system.
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:47 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
For the fatshark predator, what kind of range are we talking? I've heard that 5.8 can have some issues sometimes, and by nature has bad object penetration.
Assuming it was set up correctly, what kind of ballpark range would I be getting?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
range is 100% dependent on your antenna. With an omni, probably 1 miles tops. With a patch a couple miles or more. With a high gain antenna, farther than you'll be flying any time soon lol.

Also depends on your environment. MUCH shorter (<1mile) in urban locations, and much much farther in farmland. Depends on the humidity in the air too, alignment of the stars, what you had for breakfast, etc.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
range is 100% dependent on your antenna. With an omni, probably 1 miles tops. With a patch a couple miles or more. With a high gain antenna, farther than you'll be flying any time soon lol.

Also depends on your environment. MUCH shorter (<1mile) in urban locations, and much much farther in farmland. Depends on the humidity in the air too, alignment of the stars, what you had for breakfast, etc.
Gotcha. Well with the stock amtenna I should be good for a while, and if I'm reading right I can always swap the antenna or if I want I can get a totally different Vtx/Rx and pipe that into the goggles, correct?

That might be the way to go, and keep it clean and simple. I can go for the high performance stuff later, for right now It'll just be nice to be able to frame shots and such for the gopro.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:25 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Get the V2 predators and buy a live out cable(if you are too stupid/lazy to make one, like me) for the gopro. Basically plug and play.

The next step after that will be buying or building some CP antennas.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete