HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
Help with old model plane MRC Cessna Cardinal II

This is an old RC Gas or Nitro? RC plane of my Grandfathers that he wants me to sell for him.

the engine is an Enya.

I do not know much about this plane and he is not sure when he bought but he bought it brand new.

It is an MRC Cessna Cardinal II with a Futaba Contoller and all the servos are futaba.

I have all the original manuals and stickers that came with it, the only things I do not have is the charger for the remote and the batteries.

My Grandpa said he only flew it once or twice and then put it away in the attic in his shop.

The wing span is about 4 feet.

It is in very good condition with no real damage to it at all. There are a few tiny nicks in the wood of the wing from being moved around and one very small hole in the body.

can you guys tell me about what year it is from? and about what you think it is worth?

Here are some pictures of it.

01rednavigator is offline Find More Posts by 01rednavigator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:36 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,263 Posts
A blast from the past!

I remember when those came on the scene. The first of the RTFs - radio, engine, plane. I flew a couple with guys new to the hobby. They were so beautiful, but were a tad bot on the heavy-side.

IMHO, this would be best as a part-out in the same order above.

The radio:
Unfortunately, not usable. We're talking a '70's radio here. Batteries (receiver and transmitter) are unusable. Electronics have a shelf life, and again, we're talking a '70s radio. It may fetch something from a collector via an auction site, but don't count on it.

The engine:
Even thought its been idle for a long time, it may be rebuildable. Again, the right buyer has to come along. Enya engines were, and still are, contenders.

The plane:
These planes were durable trainers. But they are just that - trainers. There is a flood of these in ARF/RTF form on the market now, and they're lighter and more easier repairable than the painted fiberglass Cardinal.

IMHO you're looking for a nostalgic buyer that wants to upgrade the radio and (possibly) the engine and get this model back in the air. Being a trainer, you're in competition with planes that cost $100-125 (minus radio and engine). Want you want to do is gather as much information as it comes in here and market it as the classic that is is.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
A blast from the past!

I remember when those came on the scene. The first of the RTFs - radio, engine, plane. I flew a couple with guys new to the hobby. They were so beautiful, but were a tad bot on the heavy-side.

IMHO, this would be best as a part-out in the same order above.

The radio:
Unfortunately, not usable. We're talking a '70's radio here. Batteries (receiver and transmitter) are unusable. Electronics have a shelf life, and again, we're talking a '70s radio. It may fetch something from a collector via an auction site, but don't count on it.

The engine:
Even thought its been idle for a long time, it may be rebuildable. Again, the right buyer has to come along. Enya engines were, and still are, contenders.

The plane:
These planes were durable trainers. But they are just that - trainers. There is a flood of these in ARF/RTF form on the market now, and they're lighter and more easier repairable than the painted fiberglass Cardinal.

IMHO you're looking for a nostalgic buyer that wants to upgrade the radio and (possibly) the engine and get this model back in the air. Being a trainer, you're in competition with planes that cost $100-125 (minus radio and engine). Want you want to do is gather as much information as it comes in here and market it as the classic that is is.

EJWash

I figured I would be selling it to someone as a collectible and not somthing to fly but to display. My father and I sell a lot on ebay, primarily vintage auto parts. But we have sold antiques and collectibles before, after I get more info here I will list it on ebay and see what happens.
01rednavigator is offline Find More Posts by 01rednavigator
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,263 Posts
From your pics it is clear that the model is in very good condition. Good luck with your sale.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:19 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
602 Posts
Looks like the stab is not aligned. Wings are fairly level and the stab is way off to the left.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg