HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:36 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
They need to at least include an english manual so beginners aren't totally confused.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Last edited by gooby; Jan 15, 2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: I was a bit too harsh.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:08 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,644 Posts
I don't agree. These companys are there to make a buck and their way to do it is to cut on certain things. You want everything buy it from a local hobby shop that will give you service and support after the sale (not all local shops do this though). If you want to order from a on-line shop there are one's that do offer some support and will take things back for warranty. Example, a person had a new 90mm Free Wing jet. It was available from a few different vendors. These were, among others, Hobby Lobby, Banana, and Hobby King. Hobby Lobby has phone support and does offer warranty returns. Banana is cheaper for the same exact airplane but you may or may not be able to get ahold of them on the phone and then who knows. Hobby King is a real wild card between their Hong Kong or US warehouse. I've had good luck but I realize every order is a crap shoot.

Anyway me and another ordered the similar 90mm Free Wing planes. I got it from Hobby Lobby, I paid a bit extra, about $45 for a $300 plane and it came in very well packed and not a single issue so as luck would have it I didn't need to worry about support or warranty. The other guy got his from Banana and it had a warpped vertical stab and after a few days of trouble shooting he fixed the problem with his navigation lights. He could have easily needed that warranty. Then there was a third person that wanted to save more money, he ordered the "kit" version of what I ordered PNP and ordered it cheaper from Banana. That way he could get the motor, electronics, and everything else from Hobby King and save more money. He got his months before me, figured out the electronics and ordered them. I got mine and after a couple hours it was ready to fly. I took it to the field and you should have seen the look on his face as he had wanted to be the first out with the new toy. Mine flew great first flight, absolutely no issues other than needing a bit more elevator throw. Two weeks later he got in his parts. Turned out the motor and fan were not right for each other so another order went out to try to be close to the stock set up. Another week and he got it out. He had put it together in a hurry and his throws and mixes were just not where I thought they should be nor anywhere near way worked for me. He had a hell of a flight and barely got it back on deck with only breaking a few things and destroying his nose retract.

So I'm still flying mine, the second guy is almost ready to go after fixing the numerous issues he had and the third guy is down as he can't find parts he needs (though he may only be looking at Banana and Hobby King).

So what am I saying. If you want to cut a corner buyer beware. The old saying has been around for ever. We get many many people on here that really should have done their home work. People seek me out almost every day at the field to help with stuff. Granted sometimes they are just too lazy to read the manual. Oh and the manual, there usually is one but unfortunately nowadays it's on the vendors or manufacturers web site...

I disagree totally that this makes companies dishonest. The term "Ready to Fly" as well as "Park Flyer", "ARF", "PNP", "Bind and Fly" are all relative. The person needs to research what they mean in any certain circumstance.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:27 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
I'm with Evan, very nice post.
strangerb43 is offline Find More Posts by strangerb43
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:53 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
I disagree totally that this makes companies dishonest. The term "Ready to Fly" as well as "Park Flyer", "ARF", "PNP", "Bind and Fly" are all relative. The person needs to research what they mean in any certain circumstance.
Ok, maybe not the specific "ready to fly" line, but if you look at the descriptions, there is plenty of information that is not based in reality. For example, the banana hobby mini J-3 cub (3 channel) listed in the beginner section has a description that says "Can do loops, barrel rolls, hammerheads, inverted flight, outside loops and more...".

I don't want to bash banana hobby too much (I've bought planes from them before and they flew great), but they really need to clean up their website. At least they have some service unlike hobbyking where you are forced to use paypal claims.

One more thing I don't agree with is bananahobby being less expensive than more reputable hobby stores. Most of their planes are heavily marked up versions of what HK sells and some of them end up costing more than horizon hobby. Again the mini J-3 is a great example. $99 and it comes with a nimh battery and a horribly cheap fm controller. Sure the champ is smaller, but for $89 it's a much better deal.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:57 PM
Customer Support
United States, CA, Irwindale
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Hello surfdoc. May I know your order number please?
You had also mentioned that you were not getting any type of response other than the servos jittering after plugging in the battery.
1. Make sure that the battery is fully charged.
2. Make sure that the ESC connection is secure to the motor connection.
3. Make sure that the copper terminals that you had connected onto the receiver are facing upwards.
4. Make sure that the throttle stick and trim is in the lowest down position.
5. Power on the transmitter.
6. Power on the aircraft.
If that fails, please try to rebind your radio system and if it is still unsuccessful afterwards, please try to reprogram the ESC.
Please let me know if you are getting any type of response after trying all of that.

Sincerely,
Nancy
Nancy BH CSR is offline Find More Posts by Nancy BH CSR
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:06 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,644 Posts
True but that $99 J-3 with a "controller" may be a better deal for another person.

Not to get back on the soap box but R/C is no where near the only thing like this. The OP, board certified in two specialties, I'm sure can relate to truth in advertising within his area of expertise. I on the other hand hate to figure out medical bills and codes.

I have expertise in R/C and before I buy I research. Part of that if I was new to the hobby would be asking people that have the product I'm interested in and about the store I'm giving my cash to. In my example above that is why I picked getting my product from a vendor other than Banana.

Now that this has been moved to the vendor forum I think we should back off and let Pete and his company help the OP. Knowing what I know of Pete he will.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:30 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Now that this has been moved to the vendor forum I think we should back off and let Pete and his company help the OP. Knowing what I know of Pete he will.
I totally agree about how researching something out of your usual knowledge can very difficult. (Actually the easytrainer is a good choice since it's a mini easystar clone)

Pete seems like a good guy and I enjoy watching his youtube videos once in a while. I hope if Pete reads this thread, he will take my comments as constructive criticism. My intention wasn't to put him or the company down. Bananahobby has improved exponentially from just a few years ago and I'm sure this trend will continue.

Anyway that's my last post here, I hope the problem gets cleared up quickly.