SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by rcastab, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:40 PM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
383 Posts
Build Log
Elfi Parkflyer with steerable/suspension landing gear upgrades

I just recently built my Elfi Q parkflyer with ailerons ARF that was sitting around for years. It's my favorite RC airplane and my third ELfi. Just wanted to share my upgrades and modification with the airplane.

Flying Elfi is always a treat with realistic and forgiving slow flying characteristics, and I thought I would make it even more realistic with the upgrades I added. I love doing touch and go, take-offs, and landing with the Elfi, and I've realized that with time, eventually the fuselage would begin to crack and the nose wheel getting bent, and my landings were sometimes bouncy with the stiff stock landing gear. So I decided to perform these upgrades to have a much more enjoyable flying experience and to preserve the Elfi as long as possible.

With these upgrades, I avoided adding too much weight by using only light material that is needed that I can think of.

Specs:
Flying weight: ??? TBD
Motor: Eflite Speed 280 brushless
Servos: HS-35HD for all surfaces and steering servo (Rated at 11 oz-in torque @ 4.8V)
Battery: Eflite 2S, 20C, 1300mAh or 2S 800mAh
Efficiency: 25 minutes flight time per approximately 1050mAh consumption (80% of battery max capacity), flying at cruising speed at less than half throttle, performing take-offs, landing, and ground taxiing multiple times.
Landing gear: Losi RC car spring suspension for all three wheels, carbon fiber support, poplar square wood.

You can watch Elfi doing simple taxiing here on this video:

Elfi Parkflyer Airplane Taxiing. (3 min 34 sec)

You can watch Elfi flying over a high school baseball field Take-offs and landing. First person video perspective:

Elfi Parkflyer Flying (15 min 14 sec)
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Last edited by rcastab; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added Flying Video Link
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,321 Posts
I've never seen this plane before.
Are they still available?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2001
383 Posts
Unfortunately this airplane is longer in production.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:00 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,321 Posts
That's a shame,,it's such a unique looking plane
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:36 AM
Joined May 2001
383 Posts
Yes Elfi is a unique airplane, a pod and a boom type design with the motor in the front end. I can't find a better substitute airplane. She is lightweight and efficient in design. The dihedral flare at the end of the wings make it even nicer to look at in the air. She flies well without the ailerons but with the ailerons she flies even better and controls are more enjoyable with confidence.

I hope a new Elfi will be produce soon with improved landing gears and possibly a longer wingspan, maybe 1.35 Meter, and maybe even with flaps. A hybrid between an airplane and sailplane, maintaining the pod and boom design and wings on top with some dihedral on the outer portion of the wing. I'm trying to figure out how the next Elfi should be like and I have a lot of ideas but need time to put it together.