HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:27 PM
RCTESTBENCH
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Engine test Stand for Brushless Motors

I built this engine test stand to test different motor and prop combinations for my multirotors.

This design is a little different than others i came across while researching engine test stands. I use a hanging scale attached to drawer slide to measure thrust. I employ a wattmeter and a kv meter while testing. then I took the data and put it in a spreadsheet to help visualize the data and help making prop/engine decisions..

Please check it out and tell me if you have any suggestions to improve the design

Engine test stand for brushless motors (14 min 56 sec)
rctestbench is offline Find More Posts by rctestbench
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2006
275 Posts
Brilliant! I had been thinking of creating a setup to test motor prop combos... but my ideas were nothing compared to this. WOW... that is all I can think to say.

Well WOW, and that I promise to copy it and give you credit if anyone asks.
JBPiantanida is offline Find More Posts by JBPiantanida
Old Nov 03, 2013, 11:49 PM
United States, PA, New Tripoli
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
I like your video. I had a similar idea of using low friction drawer slides and a digital scale like yours. Very cool to see that it works so well. I actually ordered a 2,000g and a 4,000g dynamometer ($6 ea. on eBay) for my prototype that I'll be assembling soon. I like your recording charts and spreadsheets too. Great work - thanks for sharing.
aviatortom is offline Find More Posts by aviatortom