HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:51 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Wing Center Section

Spent a good amount of time this morning working on redesigning the center section structure. There were more "issues" than I originally thought. One significant error was the lack of any keying to define the root of the wing. No keys in the spar, nothing but two vertical grain shear web pieces to gauge the middle. Not a good design.

I added slots to the spar in the center section and redesigned the ribs a bit. Probably overkill, but it's a much better design than before. The center section will be sheeted too.

edit: removed a bunch of images
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
Last edited by haiduk; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:04 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,687 Posts
You are making some great progress!
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:50 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Have another wall-of-photos. My intent with these photos is to help me to plan the build flow. Hopefully, I'll spot any hurdles or problems before they pop up in the actual build. Please speak up if you spot something that I've missed.

Finishing up the wing structure. Still need to get the wing tips and aileron structure drawn up and pre-fitted. I'll try to get that done today.

edit: removed a bunch of images
Last edited by haiduk; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:47 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
I spent some time this evening doing more renders and started asking myself, "is all this worth it?" I guess it is if I decide to eventually kit this bird. If I use these 3d renders in a build booklet or something like that, it might be worth the time. All I really need to be doing is verifying the fit of the parts.

I do like how the parts go together for the wing so far, but I don't like the default random 3ds textures. So for these last few parts I decided to use one of my old video game designer techniques and use photo textures on these last few parts.

I scanned a sheet of balsa for the texture and cut the parts from that. I may have to redo the rest of the 3d model now too. I do like the way these last few renders look compared to the last bunch.
Last edited by haiduk; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:41 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,978 Posts
It's virtual building, no glue required, very fun. Fly it on Real Flight, and no regrets when you stuff it in the ground. I think you are doing an excellent job,.... and honing your skills at the same time. Looks great. I'd be afraid to fly it as a streamer combat model in real life through. Save that for the foamies. I'm half tempted to build one just to support your efforts. It looks like a fun model. I already have a receiver with no model assigned to it. Keep me in mind, I'd love to be a beta builder for it. But my calendar is really filled through to June 1st (vacations). No way I can get any building done until then.

Sweet model!

Fred
http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Jan 25, 2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Goofed, hit wrong button by mistake, posted before finished with what I wanted to say..
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:10 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,687 Posts
I look forward to you showing us how to print plans from max.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:12 AM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,978 Posts
Wait! I do have a 6 week window April 1st thru mid May,..... Hmmmmm. That'd probably be too late for a Beta build,.... But I'll build one anyway if you decide to kit it. Put me down for one of the first run kits.

Fred
http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Sometimes "less is more", meaning fewer parts makes a faster build. I have an early lazer cut kit, and the built plane called the "mini Laser 3D" and it is made up of many parts, and the weak point was the body, just aft of the wing. It was known to break there a lot. come see it if you want to.
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:35 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step View Post
Wait! I do have a 6 week window April 1st thru mid May,..... Hmmmmm. That'd probably be too late for a Beta build,.... But I'll build one anyway if you decide to kit it. Put me down for one of the first run kits.
Okay Fred, I put you down for one of the first beta "kits"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Sometimes "less is more", meaning fewer parts makes a faster build. I have an early lazer cut kit, and the built plane called the "mini Laser 3D" and it is made up of many parts, and the weak point was the body, just aft of the wing. It was known to break there a lot. come see it if you want to.
I do need to come over for a visit. I could bring my laptop so you can play around with the RealFlight model a bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
I look forward to you showing us how to print plans from max.
I wont actually be printing plans from 3ds max. What I'm planning to do is to render a very large orthographic projection of the airframe. I take that bitmap and scale it to fit the drawings in DraftSight. Then I can use the rendered image as a background for the actual plans.
Last edited by haiduk; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:23 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,687 Posts
Brilliant! Do show the steps to do this!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:48 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,978 Posts
I was going to mention this earlier but didn't want to interfere. But what the heck, we are friends. Won't all those indexing letters show through if someone wants to cover it in a transparent? Can they be made smaller, and/or fainter? .....just thought.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Yeah, they do seem a bit much. I just redid a set of higher resolution textures to rebuild the wing to use as fill images for the build plans. Do these look better? I am emphasizing the contrast a bit because a lot of the detail will be lost when these images are transferred to the background of the plans. The rendered images will be used for illustration.

I don't think they will be an issue with the actual laser cut parts. They can be easily omitted from the cutting process too. I'll cut a few sample parts tomorrow to see how obnoxious the labels actually turn out. I want to see how these virtual parts compare visually with the actual laser cut parts.
Last edited by haiduk; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:08 AM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,978 Posts
Yes.
Very nice,... and C-grain no less. Your CAD skills are top notch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:43 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
I finished redoing some of the high resolution textures for the structure. I will be able to use the 3d model for illustrations on the plans and in a build booklet. Enough for tonight.
Last edited by haiduk; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:52 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,687 Posts
Not sure if you have ever built from laser cut parts but an artists gummy eraser does wonders for removing the charcoal from the edges of cut parts. Way better than sanding which removes wood and just rubs the scorched wood into the good wood.