HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Finishing and flying a Stork 2 Pro E

Well I received my Stork 2 Pro E from Shredair a couple of weeks ago. The parcel was shipped from the USA to Australia in two boxes. One for the V tail and 4 Volz servos, the other with the rest of the plane and the one page of control throws + CG which pass for instructions.

Since I have 3 weeks holidays at Xmas (its Summer here in Sydney) there should be time to post a few photos during the assembly process.

As I have a couple of other projects underway, reports will be intermittent. However this baby needs to fly, at least once.

First decision was the powertrain. Ideally a Lehner or Hacker B50 7 or 9S on 10-16 cells is indicated.

However I have an Electronic Models Chronos 40 10 cell f5F with Reisenauer micro light 5:1 gearbox spare, so that made the decision easy. The chronos has had a problem with a slipping pinion. Its been sent back to France for service, but not tested by me since. Hopefully its up to the job. Good motor when working well.

First job was to weigh the components and these are shown in the table below.

There are 974 sq inches of wing area so a wing loading of 13 oz per sq ft or lower should be achievable.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Last edited by davidleitch; Feb 17, 2005 at 06:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:23 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Here's a picture of the motor. Its the one in the middle of the Hacker b40 8L and Jeti Phasor 30.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:37 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Several factors contributed to the choice of a Stork.

Firstly V Ram wrote a great mini review of a Stratos SL E, that made me want a 3 metre electric.

Stratos mini review

Secondly: Patrick Plawner posted a 2 megabyte WMV of a stork doing a bunch of loops. I've watched that video maybe 20 times and continue to be impressed by the energy retention

The video can be accessed from

http://www.plawner.net/

Unfortunately Patrick's site doesn't enable a direct link to the video but if you go to the videos menu they are in alphabetical order and the Stork is towards the end.

Thirdly Dieter was out of Stratos and the Stork was on special.
Fourthly the fuselage and wing look like they are well designed for easier radio installation. However I still expect installing the radio to be the biggest challenge. My building skills are very challenged, and if there is a way to stuff up I'll find it.

So far I am very happy with my choice.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 01:09 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
ok dave, we are waiting for YOUR pics... Put them up
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Dec 24, 2003, 07:47 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Twas the night before Xmas and the boy was playing with the toys.

Man these photos are lot of extra work, but fun.

There are a lot of photos of the Stork in Cones's thread so I don't want to cover the same ground.

Most of the work in assembling this plane is installing the radio. Most of the work installing the radio is going to consist of soldering up connectors and fitting them into their purpose built slots.

Within the wing the four servos all have thin fibreglass bays purpose built for Volz servos. A hole needs to be carefully cut in each servo bay to allow the servo wiring to exit.

Photo 1 shows the aileron serevo bay with aileron servo in place. the servo fit heaps better after I took its general purpose mounting case off.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 07:50 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
The aileron has extended to include part of the curved tip. I'm not sure why this was done, however two plausible explanations are:

1 It enables more of the trailing edge to be cambered.

2 It means air resistance is minimised when the aileron is moved.

The downside is that it limits the amount of aileron movement.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 07:53 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
These photos are small to stay under the 100 K limit. Would I be better dropping resolution and making them larger?

The centre section of the wing has a cutout on the top. Does anyone know what that's for? I'm presuming its for access to something but I don't know what? Receiver battery?

Instructions on this plane were limited to cg and recommended control throws.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 07:56 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Flap servo screws in. That part's very simple. However the top actuated, bottom hinged flaps are new to me. I have to puncture the wing trailing edge to get the control rod through and then the servo will be pushing rather than my preference for pulling.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:02 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
finally the task tonight is to solder one Dean's 4 pin plug to the servo. I'll put the male half in the tip panel.

The photo shows the 4 pin tip to cenre plug, the 6 pin centre plug that takes all the wiring (4 positives on one terminal, 4 negatives on another and 4 signal wires) next to the tip wing joiner. The tip wing joiner is a nice big piece of carbon about the same size as the centre piece on my spiro. Should hold up very well unlike the smaller and more fragile rods on the smaller Organic.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:56 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
make the pictures bigger Dave...

Thanks for the photos... and how about a picture of the entire plane, so we can see what stuff you have laying around your house.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:11 AM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
David,
That hole in the top of the wing is for ballast. Your battery will be more than enough ballast unless you happen to want to fly in a tornado!
Don't be afraid of the flap linkage. You do need to remove a fair amount of material to allow for linkage movement. Just work slowly and you won't have any problems.
The metallic blue bottom is really cool. Mine is more of a pink/purple/mauve color.
You're gonna love flying this machine! -- John P
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:17 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
whats up with the pink/purple colors ? My Mini G has the same color and I would have liked a red or a blue or something....

j
Old Dec 24, 2003, 11:19 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
John

Thanks for the headsup on the wing opening. Wouldn't have thought of ballast.

I am really looking forward to getting this plane up.

Jay

I'll work on the photos.

As far as the colour goes the blue metallic paint underneath looks fantastic on the ground. The top is all white which is somewhat more boring and potentially may be an issue in the air.

By the way Cones thread on the Stork with numerous photos is Cones's Stork photos
Old Dec 24, 2003, 11:39 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
David, in Cone's thread you say the Stratos is the bench mark yet you order a Stork 2, what gives?
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:38 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
See the points above.

1 Stork was available
2 Video of Stork flying at plawner.net
3 5th place at last world F3J championships (Tsunami/stratos came 1st). I appreciate its mostly the pilot and spotter, but its nice to know your plane has a pedigree in the right hands.
4 Purpose designed electric fuselage with (very) simple installation.
5 Dieter's side on photo of the Stork which made it look very desirable.

Stork is a new design than the Stratos. That's not a criticism of the Stratos which I continue to greatly admire. However designers are still coming to terms with electric models and so there is design progress.

If I forget about the installation, the choice theoretically comes down to a mix of flying style and airfoils. I doubt that I can tell one apart from the other in the air. I've probably had over 100 flights on the Organic and yet its quite obvious there is still a ton of stuff to learn about that plane.

Further down the track I'll post a photo comparing the Organic and the Stork wing