HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
with end point adjustments you should be able to tune out all the reverse thrust to only give forwards. ambitious project, let us know how it turns out!
Did through DX7 mix, everything in order. Removed as much weight as possible for small wright flyer and still a gram or 2 heavier than stock. May have to remove black plastic box, pilot figure, switch pots for resistors... cut 2 grams.

just thinking ~ Deltang diffthrust RX would be perfect for gravity hobby flyer, lighter than stock with bigger lipo. Only problem rx costs more than stock plane... be perfect though.

HK Wright - going to reinforce the wings with carbon, possibly single servo wing warping, wired and tested a dual 10g brushless setup just in case brushed PZ gb wont cut it.
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:19 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Here is one of the few pics I found showing how to wire resistors to replace pot. Does it matter what direction resistors are wired?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
Here is one of the few pics I found showing how to wire resistors to replace pot. Does it matter what direction resistors are wired?
Doesn't matter, resistors are not polarized and only set the feedback for the Rx neutral pulse(1.5ms).
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
thanks and thanks
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,469 Posts
Hey el, whats up yourself, pal? Had a couple years diversion from the hobby. I'm sliding back in, though mostly stock Spektrum (or based) planes atm, (they've made it so simple...).
Glad to see you're still exploring!.Those motors look similar to the ones used in the middle sized ITC diff thrust stealth bomber. Now I'll have to take a look/measure at the props while i'm at the cottage this weekend. Good luck on this one!
I keep seeing Wilbur hanging on for dear life during the nose down prop hanging...
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:58 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
Hey el, whats up yourself, pal? Had a couple years diversion from the hobby. I'm sliding back in, though mostly stock Spektrum (or based) planes atm, (they've made it so simple...).
Glad to see you're still exploring!.Those motors look similar to the ones used in the middle sized ITC diff thrust stealth bomber. Now I'll have to take a look/measure at the props while i'm at the cottage this weekend. Good luck on this one!
I keep seeing Wilbur hanging on for dear life during the nose down prop hanging...
glad to see you back in the swing of things

Im still trying to homebrew micro diff thrust with spektrum; fun challenge of props, motors, weight, mixing and tech avilability! Or maybe asked Deltang for a deal on two rx diff thrust only!

progress so far ~
removed original rx and box from plane
replaced pots with 2.2k resistors, tested,
replaced resistors with pots again, liked better
wired to wright for correct thrust - controls working
gotta mount for correct c.g.
auw 37g with 160 hyperion

edit: removed pots again, liter lipo, trimmed wire
Last edited by elvill; Jan 20, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:33 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Tiny Wright Dsm2 diff-thrust conversion complete

1) cut the rx down to 2.5g
2) replaced pots with resistors for final time
3) 180 hyperion under elevator for correct c.g.
4) AUW 35g

couple mixing issues, which is not my forte middle stick position, removing reverse need to be fixed now that plane is done before flight test
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:20 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Here is the Hobby King Wright 1903

Not going to use original props/drive as other have. Sticking with the servo esc theme, this Wright will have the same tx fixes as little wright.

Going to try servo esc/pzgb/mossey prop for lite weight conversion first, see if I get a floaty glider, if it lacks power or some other critical failure, going dual 5g/10g brushless with real esc'.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,469 Posts
Good luck on the maiden. Hope you can stick with the low tech"resourceful" approach, it fits the spirit of what the brothers did. Snowed in, never got to those props...hopefully moot point...
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:28 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Thanks, cold here also, maybe indoor maiden this week. Could not get the stock props off original shafts, plus they're big.

Fixed up solder points AND Love this battery soldering iron, great for fine work; can hold little tin at fine point, stays heated, press to solder immediately, use rechargeable batts, very very .
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:53 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Wright Brothers Flyer dsm2 conversion (1 min 39 sec)

Expo and adjust endpoints will help.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:07 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
almost there,

Maiden with 9g servo boards did not push 6mm gb enough. 90% confident next flight will be success!
Dsm2 Wright Brothers Flyer (0 min 58 sec)
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:52 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
still love simple diff thrust

FAIL ~ Servo boards do not work well as ESC for motors on 1S.

Everything I've tried has been on the gravity wright, mixing isn't an issue, thrust is. If it cant push gravity 6mm, wont work for sure with larger HK wright. Going with legit gear.
these coming for GH wright - should make everything correct
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11885
using these for HK wright...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6312
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21246
http://www.gothelirc.com/images/props/5030balance.jpg

good idea but not practical
Last edited by elvill; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:13 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Check the voltage coming off the ESC's with a volt meter.

Play with the travel extents of the Sevo in the TX to see if you can increase this voltage.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:48 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Check the voltage coming off the ESC's with a volt meter.

Play with the travel extents of the Sevo in the TX to see if you can increase this voltage.
Went to 150% for rudder and throttle, barely stays level flight, will check voltage tonight.