HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:04 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Cool
Wright Brother Flyers/Servo Boards to ESC conversion?!

SERVO as ESC not easy to do - real ESC better!
Video of dual brushed ESC scavenged from 9g HXT for differential thrust wright conversion. Will try to use props that come with kit with these 10 gram DD motors or PZ gearbox Kit is yet to arrive. Want to do this kit very cheap.
Hopefull final parts list, have other motor but like these

2 esc from old servos
2 motor from old bike
1s 420
kit
worry about other controls later, partial to simple diffthrust could work out very well
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
sure its been done before but neat on the cheap
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,469 Posts
No obsessive compulsive's collection is complete w/o a Wright Flyer, ask me how I know... Whats the specs on your model, el? I found one scaled perfectly for ITC gear a few years back. was pretty easy to exceed my goal of "scale performance"! Good luck!

Those props look huge!
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:33 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Sup Airfoil'd, you taking bout the ol' Gravity Hobby Wright Flyer? always wanted one...
Props are big, might have to go gearbox instead of dd, we'll see. Also have some small/medium counter rotating props from estes that might be fine with this or other motors.

Thing is, was researching purchasing parts for doing a simple and cheap DSM2 DIFF thrust Wright conversion and realized I have all the parts in old servos and simple brushed gear.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:12 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Using Servos is a neat idea for ESC's, its all on or all off?

I have a Gravity I converted to Diff Thrust with a MCX board. It flew, but it needs more work to fly well.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:14 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Using Servos is a neat idea for ESC's, its all on or all off?

I have a Gravity I converted to Diff Thrust with a MCX board. It flew, but it needs more work to fly well.
Fully proportional and reverse, I need to work on my DX7 mix b/c instead of Zero Turn Trottle I get Zero Turn Reverse. micro car guys been using servo as esc for throttle, steering and led lumination. better than dropping $10 on brushed esc from Hk
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
That is a great idea. I didn't know they would be proportional. I thought the feedback pot determined that.

Very cool.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
I read old threads about using servo as esc, they are so old they usually reference bigger gear, perfect for our size brushed. I could check range with multimeter than solder resister where Pot is on servo board making an esc. Im lazy, once I set the pot its perfect, could crazy glue it once trimmed but dont need too.

The square brushed motors are matched pretty well to the 9hxt board and seems like the best fit to push the Wrights big props either DD or geared. crude but at low throttle they barely turn. 3/4 throttle seem to be WOT unpropped, 1/2 throttle in my mix is perfect ZTT, will have to play with it.

If this board can run these big brushed just fine they should run, 8.5 DD and PZ Gearbox just as well. Thinking about purchasing the mossey gearboxes for use with this kit. Will see if DD works first
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Hope to get mine flying better than both of these...
longer than this one
HobbyKing Wright Flyer (0 min 11 sec)

liter and slower than this one with simple diffthrust
Wright Brothers Flyer WF1 RC Electric Model Plane in Hong Kong by Nelle RC Remote Control (5 min 57 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,233 Posts
elvill,

I applaud your resourcefulness and ingenuity, but those motors....................they look heavy with those big, inefficient Alnico (as it looks to me) magnets from the dark ages!!

Al-Ni-Co = Aluminum, Nickel, Cobalt added to iron and developed as magnets in the 1930's and popular through the 1970's. Surpassed by the more popular rare-earth magnets of today.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:28 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
elvill,

I applaud your resourcefulness and ingenuity, but those motors....................they look heavy with those big, inefficient Alnico (as it looks to me) magnets from the dark ages!!

Al-Ni-Co = Aluminum, Nickel, Cobalt added to iron and developed as magnets in the 1930's and popular through the 1970's. Surpassed by the more popular rare-earth magnets of today.
thanks and I agree, they happen to be the smallest brushed motors I have that look like they could push the Wright props direct drive. Ordered the forward and reverse motors and gearboxes from mossey, maybe they could fit the kits props, maybe not.
I haven't given up on using these yet though, have gears that could work. I think the only real challenge will be (propulsion) mounting the motors and keeps everything stiff. I plan to remove the ALL unnecessary gear to save weight with no moving control surfaces.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Shucks, wish I saw this one first. Now that I have endless source of micro brushed esc, diffthrust mixing, I bet this one would be alot easier more toyish but decent nice price might get one soon!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1903-Wright-...10566049255%26

For this conversion all Id need is 2 lite esc, rx and lipo. Remove guy and heavy box and this should be super easy to go dsm2!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
Shucks, wish I saw this one first. Now that I have endless source of micro brushed esc, diffthrust mixing, I bet this one would be alot easier more toyish but decent nice price might get one soon!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1903-Wright-...10566049255%26

For this conversion all Id need is 2 lite esc, rx and lipo. Remove guy and heavy box and this should be super easy to go dsm2!
Elvill, you perfect this and I will be right behind you. I think i paid $50 for 2 Gravity wright fliers.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
fingers crossed

Hope a 9g servo board can run 6mm motor geared, AND a +30g servo board can drive an 8.5 PZ motor geared (or other). Not measured or 'tested', just hope they can run motors smaller than original in servo.

Originally wanted to use small set on HK model but want to save weight for the Gravity Flyer.
Last edited by elvill; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:23 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
dude, now you got me wanting one!
this thing is BIG!.
i love the sound of the stock gearbox.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:18 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
with end point adjustments you should be able to tune out all the reverse thrust to only give forwards. ambitious project, let us know how it turns out!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk