HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2003, 08:54 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,044 Posts
3 inch "RC" helicopter

This is a just for fun experiment at making something very small that can fly even if only with minimal control. It is not meant to compete with the more significant efforts of others who have built truly micro RC helicopters.

The photo shows a 3 inch radio “controlled” helicopter with one channel (throttle) control. It weighs 13 grams and can only fly for about 30 seconds at this weight. It is stable when hovering or in a slight climb, but starts an orbit motion when descending. The stability is obtained by the rotation of the anti-torque vanes coupled with a proper mass distribution and the CG being located far forward. The anti-torque vanes are powerful enough to cause the body to rotate in the same direction as the propellor. You can see a video of it flying at:

http://www.spyplanes.com/movies/Micro_heli.mpg

The movie is stored at full resolution and is 8.3 MB.

Steve Morris
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2003, 08:57 PM
account suspended
Joined Jun 2003
453 Posts
didnt we see this concept before exept with duct
EricCartman is offline Find More Posts by EricCartman
Old Dec 20, 2003, 09:42 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
cool!

finally a micro with picture and video! looks fun! just need a way to controll direction....

/Henke
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:04 PM
Joined Oct 2003
35 Posts
awsome can you post plans and all that. bob maget
bob maget is offline Find More Posts by bob maget
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:33 AM
account suspended
Joined Jun 2003
453 Posts
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:33 AM
account suspended
Joined Jun 2003
453 Posts
use a actuator to adjust the anti-torqe veins
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:53 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Steve, That is so cool. I love the hand catch. We missed you tonight. We will probably hold a meet on the 27th. You have to bring this.

Thanks,

Kasra
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:17 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Congratulation Steve.

I was wandering whether you have tried the vanes to spin the other direction of the prop.

I have one of these UFO floater and the prop and the vanes are reverse twisted and they also rotate in different directions.

Still trying to find ways to control the directions of flights.
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:51 PM
Newport, WA US
Joined Aug 2000
243 Posts
just make your prop a little more efficient and put it in a duct. You could then use 2 small linear servo type actuators to move the battery around above the prop like the Hiller flying platform. Looks really neat. I second the finaly something that is not hush hush... I am getting a little sick of that!
Good work!
Isaac.S
isaac-bees is offline Find More Posts by isaac-bees
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,044 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. I don't plan to make this model fully controllable because precise control requires some type of cyclic input to the vanes and since the whole thing rotates, I'd need an IR, RF, or magnetic heading detector to do this. The current design is more stable climbing than descending, so a crude form of control can be obtained by pulsing the throttle at the correct times, kind of like driving an RC car that only turns left.

In my 'real' job I've worked on several ducted hovering designs that fly autonomously. Their stability properties are not the same as this vehicle and normally the ducted vehicles fly with a full stability augmentation system.

The picture below is a prototype of such a vehicle powered by a 60 size glow engine. It weighs 9 lbs and is capable of fully autonomous flight using its on board computer (with GPS, gyros, etc..). I don't plan on trying this in the 3" size!

Steve Morris
Old Dec 21, 2003, 08:39 PM
account suspended
Joined Jun 2003
453 Posts
aww..you're so mean!
Old Dec 21, 2003, 09:35 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,764 Posts
Maybe we should have this thread revived:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=42018
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Dec 22, 2003, 05:11 AM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
This is just TOO AWSOME!!!

I was roling on my back laughing (well allmost ) when I saw the vid, great stuff!

/Philip
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Old Dec 22, 2003, 09:59 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,044 Posts
Here is the latest version of the 3" helicopter. The anti-torque vanes are larger and flat and the total weight has been reduced to 10.5 grams. The vehicle now rotates in the direction of torque because of the flat vanes. Flight times are around 30 seconds on a charge, with several shorter flights after the batteries recover from the high current draw. The rotation rate is much slower than version #1 and the stability is different, allowing a very crude form of position control.

Steve
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:22 AM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
This is going to ground all my other micro heli projects.
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix