HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
You -could- order one of each, and then order a second one of what you deem best...
But there are several examples of each (I think) in SoCal that you could also look at and order accordingly.
Its just nice to be offered a choice.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:52 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Cyril and Radical RDS works great.
FS4 LDS works great once you have ensured everything is running smooth - friction within its surfaces can be a problem.

Could it simply be that the sloppy RDS installs are partly created by trying to get to throws from RDS that are greater than it is really comfortable with.
My Radical and Cyril both have well thought out installs where neither are capable of giving much up going flap - but they do give enough neither give large down flap either, but again both give enough, and both are running to the servos limits.

Attempting to get more will add slop, and if the sweep arm length of the torque rod isn't fully encased within the box due to a poor install will of course add slop. I imagine that there are installs out there that only have the full length of the sweep arm within the box when the surface is deflected.

Perhaps some models are just more suited to RDS because they are very happy to fly well on small surface throws. Certainly the Cyril fits this thought.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:37 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
What a great post Mike. I agree 100% with your RDS assessment.
Some of the manufacturers have very narrow pockets in the planes and while I understand them trying to reduce wiper drag, I think this is a bad approach.
R,
Target
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Jul 2002
545 Posts
Some of the slop I've seen on RDS systems both commercially available and the ones I built developed because of pocket surface wear where the shaft contacts the pocket at neutral position.

This is very hard to fix because you have to build up thickness on a very small part of the pocket. No matter how well supported the pocket is, the issue is localized wear.

As Aaron said, the pocket surface for the Radicals are well made. The Fosas I have are really good too. The Tanga were bad and I don't like the commercially available Harley pockets, surface is good, gap almost perfect but the structure needs to be reinforced, it flexes too much.

Glauco
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:02 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
All true above....
I personally wouldn't buy any of the G2 Harley pockets either, but my point is that the installation "tongue" is a good idea that can be applied to other pocket installs.
Best would be a pocket FOR THE pocket, with the actual wiper pocket held in by two tiny sheet screws, so that the pocket, if worn, could be "serviced" or replaced when sloppy.
That's taking it all a little far, and requires that the surfaces deflect enough to get a screwdriver in there.
Just thinking out loud here, don't mind me.

R,
Target
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:40 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Best would be a pocket FOR THE pocket, with the actual wiper pocket held in by two tiny sheet screws, so that the pocket, if worn, could be "serviced" or replaced when sloppy.
That is actually not a bad idea...the removable pocket could be held in with two small socket head grub screws. The hard part would be reproducing many of the inner pockets to very tight tolerances so they are removable, but are not too big or too small.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:34 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
While I'm glad to have your support, Tom, its hardly a good idea unless it gets HIS endorsement.

R,
Target
Last edited by target; Jan 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:53 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Why not make the pocket fit within a area that has a fully removable bottom surface.
Pocket could be fixed to a piece of removed bottom skin and then screwed or glued back into place.
To remove it could be simply broken out - or screws removed.

Just make the surfaces like the pic. then add the pocket/bottom skin.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
That might work, I would be a bit concerned about the torsional stiffness of the modified part. The fit would have to be impeccable to retain the stiffness I would think....

If anyone is willing to try it, well, they have my support!

R,
Target
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:31 AM
Norway
Joined May 2003
381 Posts
For those that might be interested, Oberflugmodellbau have come out with some new RDS servo frames that allow the servo to slide back and forth. Previously they had these for MKS only, but now also for Futaba S3150 and Graupner DS3288.
http://www.oberflugmodellbau.de/7.html

RDS Einbau Crossover - Futaba S3150.mp4 (22 min 24 sec)
Wiker is offline Find More Posts by Wiker
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,575 Posts
Looks interesting, now if I knew Norwegian I would be good.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:19 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
cool.

I wonder how well it works.

I've never really understood how RDS can work totally well if the pushrod wire is not through the hinge line. This seems to be a nod to that problem.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:40 AM
Norway
Joined May 2003
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Looks interesting, now if I knew Norwegian I would be good.
I donít know. I speak Norwegian, but that didnít help me much with that German video.
Wiker is offline Find More Posts by Wiker
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:25 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
on the other hand the servo can also put force back in to the servo to cause it slide, which isn't what you want either.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:27 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Im using those instead of the ones I had originally bought for the Needle. I will try to document/photograph install to share.
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy