HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
Build Log
Guillows 18" span Sopwith Camel

This is my build of one of the long discontinued Guillows WW series of 18" span WWI models. The laser cut short kit is from Aero-werks, http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/SRKS.htm
I highly recommend Dave's kits. You get the laser cut parts and a CD that contains all kinds of useful info including the plans and decals files.

I actually started this one a while ago but stalled due to repairs/upgrades to models flown (and crashed ) regularly, and a build of a micro Ugly Stick.

The plan was to utilize a removable equipment tray that could be transferred from model to model. This proved to be problematic and the idea was abandoned. The tray still slides out for equipment access and it might be incorporated into another model later. For now it is dedicated to the Camel due to the cowl shape.

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:34 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
The control linkages will be connected by small magnets. This allows them to disconnect when the tray is removed. I 'borrowed' this idea from Paul Bradley's Comet Stinson build. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=comet+stinson

It is now being used in the whim series of Parkscale Models kits too. http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/....aspx?catid=23

My model will be powered by the parkzone um P-51 8.5mm motor/gearbox and powered by a single 160mAh cell.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:01 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
My plan for covering/decorating is printed tissue from a RoF skin. Been thoroughly aggravated and humbled trying to figure out how to re size the graphics in Paint Shop Pro. That is the most confusing, counterintuitive piece of,,,, piece of,,, software I have ever encountered. I burned through half a Saturday and have nothing to show for it. I would be better off starting over and just using MS Paint.
Might just toss in the towel on the graphics and go with painted tissue.

Glenn
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,485 Posts
Glenn,

Wow, lots of cool stuff here! A discontinued Guillows, sliding equipment tray, magnetic control linkages and printed tissue....

I'm subscribed!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:49 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
Hi Steve.
Well, maybe printed tissue....
I have to work night shift next week so I might be able to work on the graphics there, after the day shift goes home.

Here's a pic of the linkages on the servo tray. The magnet couplings are a short length of 1/8" dowel with a 0.020 through hole, then a 1/16" hole drilled 1/16 deep. The dowel was lined up on the wire and the magnet put in place then everything fixed with thin CA.
The AR6400 is glued to the balsa with canopy glue after a couple of pockets were cut in the balsa for the taller components to fit down into.

The pushrod guides are balsa. A rectangular hole was cut in the tray and the guides slid in with 1/16" protruding out the other side. 1/16 square strips are glued on to support the guides and everything glued up with yellow glue. The holes in the guides were drilled then hardened with thin CA.

Linkage retainers are 0.015 wire and are not in the proper position yet. They go on top of the pushrod wire and are pulled into position with tweezers. This locks everything in securely.

Glenn
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Hi Steve.
Well, maybe printed tissue....
PM Sent.... We will set you up.. - cool build!! -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:35 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
Thanks Man. PM replied.

Nose insert planked to provide a grip area when pulling the tray out.
The wing saddle area needed some work. The curvature didn't match the ribs. I wanted to reduce the bottom wing incidence anyway so slivers of wood were cut and glued in to provide a proper mounting for the wing. Also not shown in the pic is the pushrod exit plates at the rear. They were cut from 1/32 sheet and fit between the stringers.

Glenn
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:48 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
Here are pics of the pushrod connections and exit plates.
The wing saddle has been shimmed to lower the incidence to about 2 degrees.
Next up, the wings.

Glenn
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,580 Posts
Glenn,

What are you using to hold your pushrod keepers in place? It looks like 1/2A fuel tubing. Does it matter if you use the 90* bend as the keeper? From what I can see, you're using a separate piece of wire for the 90* bend. I ask because I'm having some difficulty with my AR6400 linkages and it looks like you really have it figured out.

Thanks,
Kody
PiperCub49 is online now Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:05 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
It's heat shrink tubing. A 90 degree bend won't stay in. A 'Z' bend works best, but once the pushrods are on they are hard to remove without a lot of trouble. The keeper is a separate piece of 0.015 wire.
The keeper wire isn't glued into the heat shrink to give it the flexibility needed to 'lock and unlock' them.

Glenn
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:35 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,324 Posts
Looking great Glenn. I have the N28 sitting by that I was trying to figure when to jump on. May have to try the removeable tray idea as well! Love watching you work!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:07 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Looks great Glenn.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
Hi Pete and Dan, thanks for the comments.

Here's a pic of the top wing. Standard stuff here. I added !/8" dihedral to each panel and increased the bottom wing dihedral the same amount.
Also added some 1/16 sq strips to form a pocket for the struts and give something for the tissue to adhere to.
Still need to add the tip support strips and the top wing will be ready for sanding.

Glenn
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,627 Posts
Top wing tip supports done. This assembly is now ready for sanding.
On to the bottom wing.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:43 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
neat build Glenn.
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Last edited by meltor; Jan 13, 2013 at 09:50 PM.