Try this
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:38 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
601 Posts
GeeW,
Thanks for the mostly naked rudder photo. Without a reference, it could be a model

It appears that, like the Oly canopies, the older they become the more different the construction, or reconstruction, details are. Ah, if we could just have access to THE ONE we want to model within a day's drive. Otherwise we just do the best we can.

Scott
shinck is offline Find More Posts by shinck
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:12 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinck View Post
Oh oh, my goof! I should have sanded the rudder LE at this point instead of putting on the rudder control horn. It would have been a lot easier! Dang! So forget you see the rudder horn glued on while looking at the following.
I only wish I could say that I'd never done that before!
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:29 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
601 Posts
More scale info

There is nothing wrong with the kit design as presented here. The CAD work and parts fit is first class. But if you want to add more details, you can use the sources mentioned near the beginning of this log in Post #4. Instead of editing that post with more information, I will add some here.

I mention the Cliff Charlesworth plans several times. These were drawn (in pencil!) using original full-size plans plus access to a flying EON Olympia 2b. Links for buying the plans, as well as lots of other information, are available at my favorite scale website, http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk. Go to Vintage Gliders and look for Olympia, and Plans to Buy and see the Cliff Charlesworth list.

And the documentation in book form that I couldn't do without is the Martin Simons' series Sailplanes, in 3 volumes covering 1920 to 2000. Apparently out-of-print and getting more expensive when available.

Here is a scan of Simons' 3-view of the original 1939 Olympia Meise (Sailplanes 1920-1945 by Martin Simons, p131). EON made very few external changes, other than the nose skid and wheel, and of course the canopy.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:10 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinck View Post
There is nothing wrong with the kit design as presented here. The CAD work and parts fit is first class. But if you want to add more details, you can use the sources mentioned near the beginning of this log in Post #4. Instead of editing that post with more information, I will add some here.

I mention the Cliff Charlesworth plans several times. These were drawn (in pencil!) using original full-size plans plus access to a flying EON Olympia 2b. Links for buying the plans, as well as lots of other information, are available at my favorite scale website, http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk. Go to Vintage Gliders and look for Olympia, and Plans to Buy and see the Cliff Charlesworth list.

And the documentation in book form that I couldn't do without is the Martin Simons' series Sailplanes, in 3 volumes covering 1920 to 2000. Apparently out-of-print and getting more expensive when available.

Here is a scan of Simons' 3-view of the original 1939 Olympia Meise (Sailplanes 1920-1945 by Martin Simons, p131). EON made very few external changes, other than the nose skid and wheel, and of course the canopy.
These guys seem to have volumes 2 & 3 for $75 each. I also just picked up the original volume 1 (1908-1945) through amazon.
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:37 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
601 Posts
Just checked Amazon:
Vol. 1 from Kiona for $96 (new) and a used copy from someone else for $403!
I bought them all when they came out for about $65 each.

Gotta love the entrepreneurial spirit.

Scott
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:50 AM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
601 Posts
Stabilizer

The reason I included more scale info above is because there are items on the stab and elevator that can be added to be more scale accurate, similar to the rudder. As far as I can tell, the EON Olympia does NOT have the diagonal sheeting outside the trim tab.

The stab and elevators are very similar in construction to the fin and rudder. The photo captions should cover the details.

Check rib tabs for fit in the stab & elevator LE and TE slots. Mine were tight (metric vs. English?) so I sanded the tabs slightly until they fit.

The 2 parts marked S-FTE are different widths. The smaller one goes in the back because the TE on the stab tapers as it follows the airfoil into the elevator. Sanding will blend the two parts as the stab and elevator are fit to each other.

My two balsa S-FTE stab TE's were rather soft (my fault) so I glued some 1/64" ply to the back after the ribs were in place.
Last edited by shinck; Mar 03, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:56 AM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
601 Posts
Stab LE sheet from 1/16" balsa
Last edited by shinck; Mar 04, 2013 at 10:24 AM.