Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Lee,

Hopefully this helps:

I know Ralph Okon with a Scorpion in 12n4p, but since he's blown his website away, I can't find any info on it any more Shame, the man does excellent work.

I've done a couple of 12n4p for smaller (30mm) fans, and found them to be ineffiecient, but capable of 80+krpm. It was a massive trade-off between 50krpm at reasonable efficiency, or 80k at horribly low. But hey - you go fast, you burn lithium
Thanks for the feedback. That wind looks similar to the one that I found, but I think the B and C wind directions are reversed. Maybe the one I tried was a misprint because I couldn`t get it to work and I wound it several times, and tried a couple of diff mag configurations with it.

I`ve got a rewound 9t/6p motor in my 35mm fan that turns 92k with a Hobbywing esc. Who knows about its efficiency but it sure is FAST LOL.

My new motor is wound AABBCCx2. Believe me I was shocked when it ran perfectly, and was amazed when I saw it hit 65k with not even a tiny stutter.

I`m going to look up that other pattern that I tried and post it.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:53 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,220 Posts
Here`s the pattern that I tried

AcBaCbAcBaCb

You`ve show a pattern of

AbCaBcAbCaBc

You see that the wind directions on the B and C phases are reversed Maybe that`s why I felt like I was beating my head against a wall.

Maybe the end result is that I`ve found an alternative pattern for a 12t/4p motor that shows a lot of promise.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:11 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,768 Posts
*Slowly backs out of the thread with his hands raised as soon as he realizes this is WAY over his head...*
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
*Slowly backs out of the thread with his hands raised as soon as he realizes this is WAY over his head...*
Ha Ha, no don`t leave yet Pete. Don`t worry, if you want to make one, I promise, I can show you how to do it. Understanding the diagrams and the letter patterns is harder than winding the motor. For this thing, you only need to understand how to count and know the diff between clockwise and counter clockwise. You can do it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:53 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,056 Posts
Great stuff Lee!

I've wound a few motors the only problem I've had has been getting in a rythme then the mind wanders and next thing I'm trying to figure is at what tooth did i stop paying attention?

Then I start over lol

Shane M.
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:39 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
having the B and C phases reversed doesn't matter, it's just like swapping the two leads on the ESC.

Interesting about AABBCCx2 working - it makes sense, but doesn't come up in the calculator!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Ahhh...That's better.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:43 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Knife-- Can you wind something for this fan, the Haoye 64mm EDF? I like the Haoye 7-bladers. The shroud is strong but the motor options are limited. What do you think you can get out of it? (I'll take two!)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...inch_64mm.html

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Wow this is an awesome thread can't wait to see how it develops
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Knife-- Can you wind something for this fan, the Haoye 64mm EDF? I like the Haoye 7-bladers. The shroud is strong but the motor options are limited. What do you think you can get out of it? (I'll take two!)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...inch_64mm.html

Mike

Mike, fine tuning a new system takes time. But I could take a wild guess based on my 70mm Haoye fan. You might be able to push it to 65 or 70k rpm and see 6lbs of thrust and well over 300mph efflux speed. How do you hit that rpm? You know, that`s a balance between KV of the motor and what voltage you choose to run.

As far as me building fans for sale, sorry, not enough hours in the day. But stay tuned, and I`ll show you how to do it for yourself.

Some guys are fliers and some guys are builders and experimenters. I`m somewhere in the middle. I spend a lot of time trying to produce powerful fan units and not enough time flying the bigger stuff, but maybe I can even things out this season.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
That sounds great. A tutorial of some kind then? I'm watching. Thanks
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:43 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
Wow this is an awesome thread can't wait to see how it develops
Thanks bud, I`ll do my best.

My particular target is somewhere around 55k to 60k rpm on my 3" Haoye rotor cut down to 2.75" (70mm). That will probably yield 8lbs of thrust and near 350mph efflux, but will take 5kw or so.

I want to be able to use the YEG clone 120A HV esc which is good up to about 6kw, but can`t turn the 8 pole motor faster than about 50k, so that`s why I`m switching to the 4pole.

Long term, I`m thinking of a twin laid out similar to the twin engine business jets, but built mainly for speed. 16lbs of thrust at 350 mph has huge potential to be able to hit 250mph in level flight and to be able to carry plenty of mah capacity for decent flight times.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
That sounds great. A tutorial of some kind then? I'm watching. Thanks
Yes, I already have a thread on how to put a fan together with a motor like this in the stand-off position. I can review that and add links here. Then I`ll cover in detail how to build this motor and post data on how to hit specific KV numbers.

I like sharing what I do on line for several reasons. I often get lots of good info added to the thread by others that join in. It`s always best to have as many guys involved as possible, because one guy can`t cover all the bases and explore every possibility. Also, it`s a great way to preserve data. I`m constantly going back and revisiting old threads that I`ve done to recover forgotten info.

This is kind of my note pad, and it`s there for everyone to read. The internet is an awesome tool.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:48 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,220 Posts
First Serious Motor Wind 1750kv...and some Killer Beef Stew

That`s what I`ve been doing today, playing with this motor and in tne mean time made a big pot of home made Veggie/ Beef Stew. Man I`m STUFFED LOL. It`s in the 30`s outside today, so it`s perfect weather for doing both.

I wound a real motor last night, but it had a short in one spot, so I had to go back this morning and redo a couple of stators. This particular stator has been wound many times so it has some spots where the insulation has come off, so I have to be careful when winding it.

I just did a rough guess on how many turns to put on it. The 8 pole has 3 turns for about 2200kv and I want it lower because I want it to be more of a 12s motor. Since it has 1/2 as many poles you need twice the turns for the same kv. So I decided to go with 10 turns. Because of the particular winding pattern you actually end up with + 1/2 turn (details later). So this motor is 10.5 turns of #22 high temp wire.

There`s still a little room for copper, so 12 or 13 turns of #22 would probably fit and will bring the KV down even more and add copper.

I`ve run it on fully charged 8s 5000`s and it hit almost exactly 50k rpm unloaded.

This motor is almost ready to put in a fan and test at rpms over 50k and voltage up to 52v. I`m going to do some balance work on the bell first and then install a longer shaft for stand-off use.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jan 13, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,107 Posts
Wow very interesting as usual Lee, would love to see what you can do with an all metal 80 or 90mm fan. It might actually sound better than a real turbine..
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077