HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,147 Posts
I don't think the Bi-Slob would be a good trainer airplane as it is designed to do, so much as possible, 3-D on control line. When someone who knows how to fly them does it, it is amazing to watch.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:05 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
I don't think the Bi-Slob would be a good trainer airplane as it is designed to do, so much as possible, 3-D on control line. When someone who knows how to fly them does it, it is amazing to watch.
I saw one day Danni Banjock flying one and it looked like a whole lot of illegal amount of fun someone would be allowed to have . It is worth every penny. I will spell check myself next time.
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
185 Posts
Here is one of my favorites, very strong and easy to build

http://www.airagestore.com/henschel-hs-123.html
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:35 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
I sold Sterling Newport 28 with metal cowl. I was going to replace heavy wood but changed my mind. Since then recieved Fokker D V11 bi-plane and going to build this one with contest lite wood and redesign structure. Has metal cowl with real wire mess screen. I have enough fokker red paint to make it. Areo-gloss.
I know this is not top flyer but is old time legal, so why not. So go bash something else as I could care less. Either OS .35S/ or Brodak .40. If I find a new Fox .35 I will refit it.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:40 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,303 Posts
Use a McCoy or a Fox and it'll be awesome. Bash what and who, you're project ideas are always tip top!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:22 AM
Aviator
Australia, NSW, Anna Bay
Joined Aug 2011
104 Posts
I have built the 38 Special by Brodak. It's easy to build and flies superbly.

I have had it for a few years now and recently converted it to 3 line control (with throttle) for fun flying, carrier deck and 3D flying. I use a Thunder Tiger GP 40 in mine.

I would recommend it all flyers.

Cheers
warrenlead is offline Find More Posts by warrenlead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hunter Valley Champs 2014
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:14 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,727 Posts
I had the Sig D-7 which I bashed into a Nieuport 28 and a friend had the Spad, both with Fox 35's. Not contest aerobatics, but lots of fun and spectator-pleasing "combat." Brodak has both, I think.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but WT heck is "3D flying?"
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
And, I presume that none of these biplanes would fly as good as a Ringmaster of equal weight, engine and fuel tank. What do you think?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:04 PM
Aviator
Australia, NSW, Anna Bay
Joined Aug 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but WT heck is "3D flying?"
3D is where you can fly the model like a helicopter, hanging on the prop, using the throttle to control the speed. You can only do it when you have 3 line ie up down and throttle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:58 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Here is a couple of pictures of your basic Slob. I fly mine with Fox 35's as that is the best engine for them as far as I am concerned.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Umm, umm! Look at the amount of control surface and amount of control surface movement! Flaps, too? I'm stoked. Now, how does that thing fly?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:55 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
It is extrememly manueverable. It has almost 90 deg. of elevator both ways, and mine is set up with about half that amount on the flaps. They will do very slow lazy 8's without getting over 5' feet high. You can hang them by the prop and do a nice hover. A really fun thing to fly and at times will just make you laugh out loud at what they can do. One of my favorite things to do when the R/C guys are at the field, is to set the old Fox real rich so it will barely take off, and the as soon as the wheels leave the ground do a half inside loop pulling inverted and never getting over three feet high. They always think I have lost it. LOL. All of this is done with only two lines and a rich engine setting. I use a standard three ounce tank so that in the first part of the flight it is rich and leans out a little toward the end for doing other manuevers such as slow wingovers and verticle eights. About 5 minutes on the handle of one of these and you are ready for a break.
Last edited by Jim Kraft; Feb 01, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:37 PM
Aviator
Australia, NSW, Anna Bay
Joined Aug 2011
104 Posts
Yes hard work, so not really suitable for a novice, eh...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:55 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Very experienced flyers only need apply. They are a handfull to fly. They fly best on about 52' lines.