HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:06 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Discussion
my 222

Hi all.
Here is another Bell 222 build. I decided to use the tooling prototype for my own demonstration heli.Mechanics will be stock Raptor 50 Titan but with nice glass blades and FB. maybe oneday I will be able to afford FBL.
It was # 1 out of the moulds.

This one will be a little more "scale" in having the cooling cutouts in the dogbox. I will fill the holes with fine wire mech from the inside. The stabs will also be the inverted airfoil as per full size.

I am going to attempt to install retracts in this one, The moundtings still need some figureing out.

It will hopefully be painted in the sceeme as below.

Theuns
T. van Vuuren is offline Find More Posts by T. van Vuuren
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,095 Posts
By the looks of this, you could produce and sell a few to afford FBL. Over the years, many 222 models have used the Goldberg mechanical retracts. They are reasonably priced and work great. You can slow the servo speed for scale retraction.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:24 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
I wish there were more orders for these, but times are hard for the model industry with all the cheap imports. Seems the folks who are willing to pay more for better quality are the greater minority.

I don't actually know what retracts these are, I liberated them from an old plane. Green alluminium casing , spring operated.
How do you slow the retract servo down? I fly an old JR X388S and highly doubt it has the function to do so.

Theuns
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:07 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,482 Posts
That body looks like a great start. Good luck with the build.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:39 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Thanx mate, it is from the same molds you saw on my other 222 post. Just with a little more detail added :-)

Theuns
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:33 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Hi all. quite some time since my last post!
I have glues in plastic mosqueto netting for the "screens" in the cowling. and made the retract moundting hardpoints.
I will use an old set of mechanical units I have , but needed to somehow get the actuator system to work of a single retract servo.

Hence the carbon rod that will act like a torque tube to actuate both reat units from the bolts inserted in it linking to the retracts.
I will make bearing pirrar blocks to mound this tube into.

The alluminium angle going between the 2 ply bases in the sponsons it there to take up all of the bending moments I have through the sponsons because of the wheels.This angle also attatches to the rear mound for the mechanics base plate so the whole thing is ver simple yet stiff.

The stabs are also airfoil shaped as per full size,I wonder how this will affect the flight.

I have had reports that the first 222 I built flies very well so I am hopefull this one will to.

Theuns
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:36 AM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
602 Posts
You made that body? Looks nice..'was wondering why not go with electric retracts? I have a 70mm Mig 15 and the struts look like a good fit for the 222. Maybe a little small, but the mains sure are tough.
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:30 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,482 Posts
Looking good, Theuns. I have a smaller Jet Ranger and similar size AS350, both of which have scale aerofoiled stabilizers and none of them have any effect on the flight characterisics that I have ever seen. Now, if they were travelling over a hundred miles per hours (my AS350's pod and boom 600 Pro chassis did it in spades), they might do something for the flight but that would be like going a scale 7 to 8 hundreds mph. The lasted build has a "T" tail that is fully aerofoiled like the original but I seriously doubt it will have any measureable change to the trim. The landing gear is always a challenge with the 222/Airwolf, not so much for the operating mechanism, but the struts. I have seen a few strut sets that have been custom made and I know there are some inexpensive 222 struts on the market as they are including them with the Airwolf body from HeliArtist and other generic shells out there. Good luck and with it completed, you may just get a couple of orders. The Airwolf is one of the most popular bodies out there, next to the MD500, so think about making the window cover and turbine engine nacelle as add-ons to your body. After all, the rest is stock 222. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:39 PM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Thanx guys, if you say turbine engine necelle do you mean the dogbox?
If so I made the mold for it but need to get more epoxy do do the layups.

Yes I molded it, I have the molds to do so but had to make the dogbox plug and mold.

I will initially see what I can do with the leg struts, I might even just go with bent wire for now just to get in the air.

I add a pix of the first 222 incl the dogbox I made.As for the windows it is a simple matter of making a mold for them.I will fly it as is for now

Theuns
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:06 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,482 Posts
No, on the Airwolf, they added a dummy jet turbine engine that was put around the rear landing gear wings. Look it up. The rest of the body is just as it came from Bell. At one time, the Airwolf was on display in South Africa, somewhere, but I doubt it is still there. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:37 PM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Ok I am with you now, it also had a shaped cover that fit over the rear windows.

The "Airwolf" that was here was sold to a German air ambulance cervice but as I understand it came down killing all onboard.

Theuns
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:43 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,482 Posts
That's the beast. It's too bad about that loss of life and crash. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:59 PM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
I actually recall just starting out in RC (1986 being in highschool) and the guy who taught me to fly took us to go look at this "Airwolf" giving a display at a local sports event. I also remember the RC airwolf that flew that day :-)

Theuns
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:27 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Well folks, believe it or not this project has actually progressed!

When I had the heli in the primer the color begged for a "digital desert camo scheem" but I will go for a simple red/white scheeme.

I have the white on and hope to get red on shortly.

I first need to get the severe vibration problem on my Raptor 50 sorted before I put it in the "cripple two"

Theuns
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:51 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Almost starting to look like a 222 :-)
I need to paint on the windows next, what do you guys recon, blue or silver?

Theuns