SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
Discussion
another P-38 thread.

the "wishing for" thread got me thinking about this Guillows(also Buzz, 19" ws) model I have. nobody chimed in on gear suggestions there, so I thought i would ask for advice here.
First, i have to mention that I dont have all the specs available, as the model is currently at another location. However, the same model has been the subject of a successful 180 brushless conversion by another rcg member (proof of concept).
I'm wondering which spektrum rx would be best suited to the task, assuming 7.4v, external elev(1), ail(2) servos, ext escs(which ones?) linked to the rudder for yaw control(w/o added weight, even though I dont feel its a critical issue. I've flown the stock version with a large 600mah lipo. I just want diff thrust.).
Thanks for reading, and any advice is appreciated. Cant say how quickly this project will happen, but a gameplan sure helps make the smart purchases along the way!
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:09 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,241 Posts
Diff thrust for rudder is tough, your gonna need at least a five channel rx, two escs, mix the two escs on seperate channels together, then make a mix for rudder to affect both, I am not an expert, but you will need a radio capable of more than a couple mixes.
I wouldn't trust a single ar6400, as one motor would have 7.4v and the other 5v(limit of bec, using ch 5 or 6), but you could use two and bind them together. I would just use a ar6100. That's everything I'm really qualified to say.

Had a buzz p-38, loved it, esp for night flying, wish someone still sold their b-17.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
Hey Airpower, thanks for responding. yeah, I figured the diff thrust might be an issue, but I ultimately want it for multiple formats, not just traditional twins. Someday I'm gonna build the ultimate (albeit slightly larger) full house Airhog! Sure, alot of us have moved on, but alot of us probably remember how fun and inspiring they were!
And I should have mentioned, DX6i, dsmx(is that significant?) tx....
...can't get away with 2 mixes, or a Y harness?
Last edited by airfoil'd; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:08 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,241 Posts
Honestly I dont know, re post this in micro and indoor, they deal with kits and builds.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
If it becomes necessary, I might. For now, I'm still hoping this will yeild some input, as micro rtf might be the forum with the highest traffic flow and concentration of spektrum micro gear and their users. The reality is that the forum distinctions have always been fudged somewhat by the members using them, a lot of builds and good info on them have appeared here. hoping these same good folk can help hook anotha brutha up again!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:33 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I have a couple of the buzz planes to convert, but my small flying field next to my house is too small.

I can fly all of the HH umx's with no issues, but the heavier buzz planes need more space.

So mine are on the back burner.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
UNGN, if your flying area WAS better suited, which rx do you think you'd be using? What's your take on the possibility of diff thrust?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
popped the question in a couple of different forums, the current best contender seems to be an external Vtail mixer harness. ...Now I find myself eyeballing my AR6210, 6ch, pretty small board when you pop the case off....
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:27 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
On my Buzz mosquito (and B-17), I use conventional Rudder/Aileron and a single brushed ESC for the motors. The Mossy uses a AR6400 diode/ 2S for the motors set up. The B-17 uses an AR6300 & 2S

For the P-38 I would likely use an AR6300 / 2S and use Differential thrust wil a TX program.

Target has AR6300 for cheap and I have them and some 5A brushed ESC's laying around.

Converting one to Dual Mustang motors on 1S should work, too, but is more work.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN