Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:54 PM
Brought to u by letter "Arr!"
New Hampshire
Joined Sep 2009
183 Posts
Build Log
USNS Sioux (T-ATF-171), 1/48 scratchbuild

Hi Everyone,
Starting a new build as promised, finally laying the keel this evening for my 1/48 T-ATF fleet tug.
This model has been on my "to-do" list for awhile, ever since being stationed aboard her as an engineering officer back in 2000-2001. I knew I'd get to it one of these days, so I took a set of plans and a ton of photos before leaving the ship. SSY makes a great T-ATF hull in 1/96 as many of you are aware, but I just love the ease of working in 1/48, and needed a running-mate for my 1/48 Navajo-class ATF, USS Chawasha.
It's been quite awhile since I've done a scratchbuild, but no worries- the hull is pretty simple when you get down to it. I'll try to update everyone on a regular basis, but since this is sure to be a long, involved build, it will be a test of endurance....not speed.

Started with a dead-straight piece of hard maple, 1/2" x 3/4" for the keel; built up aft to form the centerline skeg. Frames to follow. Wish me luck!
mariner02 is online now Find More Posts by mariner02
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:46 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
looking forward to this build....gunna be fun...

joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:16 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,768 Posts
Gonna be a BIG model---. Great choice of subject---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,032 Posts
Very nice I'll be watching this one
louie R/C NUT is online now Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,174 Posts
That boat, has been done, as a fiberglass semi-kit, in 1/48 scale. I do not know who has the molds and other tooling, currently. If you are seriously interested, PM me, and I will try to find out. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:27 AM
New Hampshire
Joined Sep 2009
183 Posts
I wasn't aware of a fiberglass hull in 1/48, but that's ok; I don't mind the old-fashioned way.

All framed-up as of last night. Slots are cut for the numerous chine logs, which are up next. I also have the aft bulkheads prepped to accept the shafts; alignment at this early stage is critical. Note that the extreme bow and stern will be comprised of solid blocks.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:56 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner02 View Post
I wasn't aware of a fiberglass hull in 1/48, but that's ok; I don't mind the old-fashioned way.
This is going to be a Great model !

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,215 Posts
Nice grey tug, il be watching.
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:53 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,768 Posts
Mariner02, that's a pretty quick start to your build.

I'd only be on my second beer by now---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
New Hampshire
Joined Sep 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Mariner02, that's a pretty quick start to your build.
That's only because I haven't run into any problems yet. Don't worry, there's still plenty of time to get surprised by something I didn't think about....
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Awesome! I will be following too.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:39 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
Scale Ships out of Southern California made the 1/48 scale T-ATF as well as a lot of parts for it. I helped a fellow build one - nice solid hull, with the strake detail molded on. The company was owner by two guys, one of whom owned Harbor Models for a time - Armand Veronico. I think the other fellows name was Paul. They also produced a 1/48 scale CG-47.

You can check with Lee at Scale Shipyard, as I think he might have some of the T-ATF molds picked up somewhere - these projects seem to have a life of their own and are sold and traded by various cottage industry companies.

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:24 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
Scale Ships out of Southern California made the 1/48 scale T-ATF as well as a lot of parts for it. I helped a fellow build one - nice solid hull, with the strake detail molded on. The company was owner by two guys, one of whom owned Harbor Models for a time - Armand Veronico. I think the other fellows name was Paul. They also produced a 1/48 scale CG-47.

You can check with Lee at Scale Shipyard, as I think he might have some of the T-ATF molds picked up somewhere - these projects seem to have a life of their own and are sold and traded by various cottage industry companies.

Kurt
don at loyalhanna and i are thinking of doing this hull...(i'll be making the pattern) this should be a great project....i won't reply anymore on this....sorry for hijacking this tread

joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:13 AM
New Hampshire
Joined Sep 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desron48 View Post
don at loyalhanna and i are thinking of doing this hull...(i'll be making the pattern) this should be a great project....
Yes- I have been in contact with Don to develop a running gear package for this project, and will be supplying my plans and photos to him so you can develop that hull. Should be a worthwhile endeavor; there seems to be lots of interest in this class...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,461 Posts

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon