SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:07 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Discussion
Considering getting out of the hobby

I'm 15.5 and considering getting out of the hobby because I'm sick of my dad and stepmom giving me . For example, today I ordered a ParkZone micro 1s LiPo charger and got it in the mail. This is my fifth because when the weather is nice I love to keep the batteries coming. My parent's response is "you are obsessed all you do is play with your planes." I'm thinking to myself "what the "??After I crash a plane I ask to go to the lhs and get the parts to fix the damage (I have my own money.) I bet you all can relate, you fix the plane and you look at it and go "what? That doesn't look right" and you relize something else is broken. Then of course, I also get called obsessed for asking to go to the Lhs again when i need the missing part(s). I'm so sick of it and I am just considering quitting flying
altogether. Thoughts?
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Last edited by RcAirplaneNoob; Jan 14, 2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Grammer/Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:32 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,398 Posts
My parents weren't big fans of my RC addiction when I was ~11-13 and just getting started, but I was making my own money through hard work (and selling my plant allergies to science ). They would never outright block me from buying anything I wanted, probably because they figured mistakes were a good way for me to learn fiscal responsibility for myself. I believe they were extremely correct.

The whole game changed drastically over the past few years as I went from buying, crashing, and replacing... To building, flying, and improving. When I started designing and building my planes from scratch, they realized that I was actually doing something massively educational AND entirely healthy. Certainly better than violent videogames and online p*rn, ya know? My dad actually has a very keen interest in my planes now, even though he's been a little nervous to actually pick up the buddy box and try flying one.

If all they see is you buying and crashing a bunch of expensive toys, it's not surprising that they don't like it all that much. Instead of getting frustrated or angry about their attitudes, why not try showing them the positive side of the hobby? Maybe even get them flying... Or, if you need serious firepower, patiently explain that you COULD be smoking all your money, being obsessed with your bong collection, and spending your time on "unsavory" websites rather than RCG. Model airplanes ain't bad at all
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:40 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
///
Last edited by RcAirplaneNoob; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:41 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
///
Last edited by RcAirplaneNoob; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:30 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
Maybe you could mention guys like Hoot Gibson and Burt Rutan. Both fly rc and it has served them well in life! Look on the AMA website for more info about famous people who fly rc.
Like C4H10 said, put it in a positive light!
My parents were supportive to the point of just shaking their heads and mumbling something about that crazy kid... I mowed lawns for hobby money and rode my bike to the LHS to get stuff. All they had there that I could afford were free flight and control line kits. There was no way a kid mowing lawns could afford $500 for a 4 channel Kraft radio!

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Even though I'm old and started late (also hold A/P and SEL certificates and work as a tech in R&D electronics), R/C has improved my mechanical and even soldering skills. It is probably one of the more rewarding hobbies out there. Even just deciding on a power system, then building and fixing a plane helps with logic and reasoning in everyday life. The scratchbuild depron planes may make you think about geometry, trig and electrical theory.

I'm sorry to hear you fly with your Dad and he probably isn't a participant? When your 16.0, you can get a car somehow (?) and get to the field. Don't give up!
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Just tell them the alternative is moving to the basement and playing Call of Duty 24/7 until you are 32yo....
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:05 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
I feel your pain man. I didn't start this hobby till a couple a years ago and my wife and some of my friends think I'm obsessed also! but I love doing it. and I believe if you love doing something, and it makes you happy, then by all means don't give it up! stay with it! you might ease up on your parents a bit with it, and they'll come around! I'm sure they love you and want to see you happy. good luck and happy flying! keep um flying!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcAirplaneNoob View Post
Im 15.5 and considering of getting out of the hobby because Im sick of my dad amd stepmom giving me
Concentrate on school brotha man!!!
Youre 15. The hobby aint going nowhere.
When you turn into a man and can make your own life decisions then fly away.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:32 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
My wife also thinks i'm obsessed. Hang in there brother. Your parents will see the light.....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Concentrate on school brotha man!!!
Youre 15. The hobby aint going nowhere.
When you turn into a man and can make your own life decisions then fly away.
True that. Also, look for a job if possible. I started working at 16 after school.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:45 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
723 Posts
Having a hobby is not a bad thing and I would say that RC is rather inocous and if anything, there are things that you can learn from it. In some respects, there are much worse things to spend your money on than on this hobby. I suspect that your parents might feel that you are throwing your money away. Maybe setting some of your money aside and letting them know that you are also saving some of it will change their attitude towards the hobby.

Good luck.
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
I agree RC planes are a very healthy habit or hobby.
But look at the thread. You got a 15 year old going whah whah whah...im not flying ever again!!
I can only side with the parents just cause the kid seems like a whining little brat.
Concentrate on school and your future. RC planes will still be here.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Heh, my father made me get a job at 16. I've been working ever since.
If I was the one hiring the OP, I'd say get a job for 10-20 hours a week. Fly on the weekends. Had a crummy car at 17 and earned it. Best feeling in the world. I am wondering about the after school activities that take so much time. What do they add if you are not an entrepreneur?

Also OP, read some books of any kind, whatever you want if you don't read regularly so far
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:04 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,708 Posts
All I can tell you is that my father thought getting me interested in flying models would keep me out of a lot worse trouble, and it did. It hate to imagine the stuff I could have gotten into if I wasn't preoccipied with flying and racing.

If you're 15, you're about to discover girls, and then your folks would give anything to get you obsessed with planes again.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin