HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
Discussion
Airspeed Manager

Our True Airspeed manager outputs a throttle servo signal to maintain programmed speed. It senses the dynamic and static pressure to decide if the throttle needs any adjustment to maintain programmed airspeed.
It is basically a part of our formal autopilot designed to maintain programmed altitude and air speed. Its ALT Hold part has stall preventing capability. When the airspeed gets too close to the stall speed, it reduces the elevator upwards angle while max throttle is applied.
I fly FY31AP or PANDA autopilots and use our unit as a standalone airspeed manager. I do not use the ALT hold part of it. I use only the Air speed control output. Both FY autopilots can handle altitude very well. Unfortunately the named autopilots do not sense true airspeed . Instead they use GPS ground speed. While using ground speed works for most cases, there could be occasions when it is not enough to successfully finish the flight. My plane stays always within the borders of max and min speed even during climb or descend specified at waypoints.
When descending, the engine literally throttles down to idling while in climb it goes to max throttle.
The airspeed manager does not cooperate with the FY31AP at all. It is a standalone device. The speed programming is done by JetiBox which some of you might already have.
Using the JetiBox to program the airspeed is easy and fast.

Also if anybody knows a similar device, let me know. I would be interested only in a stand alone airspeed manager.
PistaJ is offline Find More Posts by PistaJ
Last edited by PistaJ; Jan 13, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:40 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,616 Posts
Hi PastaJ,

Found your website:

http://www.modelcam.cz/

1. Wish it had an English version.

2. Wish your airspeed manager was listed (price?).

Cheers,

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:00 AM
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
I'm still testing it.
I wish we could make it a little bit cheaper.

We could redesign the unit ant get rid of the AltHold part. That
way it'll be much cheaper.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:42 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,616 Posts
Yes you need to.
I would love to have a super small, stand alone plug and play airspeed system and nothing else.

Imagine the thousands upon thousands of FY stabilized planes that need it too.

FYI, Cyclops has an airspeed sensor on their autopilot, but its still using IR stabilization, not IMU.

BB
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
Tromsų / Norway
Joined Nov 2009
79 Posts
Damn it!!!
Me to :-)
FY31AP is an outstanding AP but I realy miss that airspeed part...
Kaspers1 is offline Find More Posts by Kaspers1
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
Do you remember the PDC 25?
It was a simple device to control the air speed. I still have it. I am going to see how it works. I am still testing our air speed manager. There is a little problem when the temperature drops as low as -10C
Other than that it works fine.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:43 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistaJ View Post
Do you remember the PDC 25?
Is the PDC 25 the unit that auto controls plane altitude?
If you can have a cheap solution like that, why not?

Here's an airspeed sensor from Eagle tree. The price is acceptable, but has no feedback for throttle management. If you can do it at that price, you'll have a winner!

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=201

BB
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
The PDC 25 controls only the airspeed. It is obsolete and big. However it works very well.
To set the required speed you simply fly it, let the throttle stick not moved for 10 sec and after - activate the PDC 25. Since then each time it is switched on, it will throttle the engine to the memorised air speed. This procedure must be done after powering the plane as the speed is erased when unplugging the battery.
Simple, fast reliable. For me it is enough.
What do you prefer - setting the speed like this or using the Yetibox and setting the speed on the ground?
I was testing the PDC25 today. It snowed heavily, poor visibility.
See the short video HERE
Last edited by PistaJ; Jan 14, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
I think the PDC25 was an early UNAV product, a precurser the the Picopilot.
I'd certainly be in for an airspeed controller.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:46 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistaJ View Post
What do you prefer - setting the speed like this or using the Yetibox and setting the speed on the ground?
Setting the airspeed in the simplest way. However, if the target airspeed can be adjusted via the radio knob, that would be perfect.

No Yeti box. No yeti box!

BB
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Apologies, as off topic, and Please don't take this as a Rant .. Just Constructive Criticism ?
I'm always surprised when someone takes the time to photograph a product with nice clear pictures and nice background, (as PistaJ did here) but fails to simply set a Coin (Or bill if larger) next to the item. This adds another level of information (Scale of size). and takes no real extra time or effort.

One picture is worth a 1000 words, Please always maximize the visual text.
wingsnaprop is offline Find More Posts by wingsnaprop
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
Yes I will post a better picture with a coin in it.
Anyway The airspeed manager adjustment has finished. It is ready for you to use. Its price was set to 75 USD. It could be programmed by a very simple procedure during the flight, or by yeti box for those who already have it.
I got a confirmation from the FeiYu Tech company that they are working on their airspeed manager too. Many of you might rather wait what they are going to come up with. Due to this I do not expect many orders from you. Until I have at least 5 people who don't want to wait any longer, we will not start the production as it is not worth the effort.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:07 AM
Tromsų / Norway
Joined Nov 2009
79 Posts
PistaJ:
I`m in for one unit
PM me when it`s ready
Kaspers1 is offline Find More Posts by Kaspers1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:23 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
I am very interested also, no doubt the FY unit will be another complete unit at considerable cost, not just a separate airspeed module.
I like the idea that this small stand alone device can be coupled with an FY 30 or 31AP or even an older FY20/21 series.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
OK, it looks there is going to be some interest. I will start some work on the manual then.
Believe me you will not regret that.
My wing starts to wobble when it goes faster than 110 km per hour. It is so bad that thinks start falling of it. When on route - descending, the autopilot easily overcomes this speed. newer again with the speed manager. The same in climb - no stall if the engine is powerful enough. It works like a charm.