HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Help!
building rc plane from fiberglass

i am planning to build a rc plane from fiberglass,i need a mould and i dont know where to get one.My country does not sell styro foam or any other foam.i have already bought a 2200kv motor,6*4 propeller etc...If anyone can give me ideas,a type of plane best for these specs and where can i buy a mould would be very helpful
jude29 is offline Find More Posts by jude29
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:26 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Are you new to RC aircraft? Have you flown before? Where are you located? What type of plane are you hoping to build? Lot's of questions here...

It is very doubtful that you'll find a mold... You will have to make one. Why are you making an aircraft out of fiberglass anyway? It will be heavy! And most kits of that material will be much larger than a motor that size will be suitable for regardless... And crashing a fiberglass plane is usually a complete loss of airframe!

The foam they sell here in Canada is usually not a proper type for building aircraft either. But depron is available at the hobby store for a high cost. I ordered a bundle of Fan Fold Foam from the USA and have been happy ever since. I suggest you find an online foam dealer and have it shipped in to you.

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,900 Posts
No foam ?, why not use wood ?.

Balsa wood would be the first choice. No balsa ?, then other lightweight woods may be suitable.

No foam, no wood ?

Do you have cardboard ?, quite a few models have been built and flown successfully made from cardboard.

No cardboard ?

Any water nearby ?, fishing can be a good hobby
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
So you can buy fiberglass and resin, but no foam?? What country??

Unless your a experianced fiberglass worker, making a mold and a plane out of fiberglass is not so easy.
Plus all fiberglass planes are a lot heavier than foam/balsa planes.

You don't need foam to make a mold, I have used wood for the plug.

Here's a link to a pusher jet mold I made. It took a lot of time and doing it just right.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=182
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,233 Posts
Every country must have foam It's a commonly used material for insulation in buildings and scores of other uses. Then there is balsa.

You cant buy moulds for planes, if you really do want to mould your own then you have to make a 'plug' from wood or whatever, then make your own female mould over the plug... then after all of that you can lay up the actual model inside the female mould.

This is a very skilled and time consuming process and usually only makes sense if you intend to mass produce. As noted above, for small to medium size models moulded fibreglass tends to be quite heavy.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Good advise

i'm new at hobby,i live in Seychelles and i'v never flyed a plane before but i want to build one and i'll be like a project.So i think i'm going to go with cardboard first and get some experiance then i will build one with balsa.Anyone with plans to build a cardboard/balsa wood plane would very helpful.Thanks for your opinons guys!!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:19 AM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,174 Posts
Hey Jude, (sorry couldn't resist that one)

My humble suggestion is try your hand at building the SUPER EASY from the cheapest model airplane material....dollar store foam. Not sure if you have this material in the Seychelles though. It is made from extruded polystyrene foam sheet with paper sheathing on both sides. A sheet of 20 inches x 30 inches is a dollar at most dollar stores.

If not available there, you can order it in, but it won't be as cheap anymore.

Check out these threads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685988

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=super+easi

From this model, you will learn how to build and then learn to fly it as well. This is probably the easiest RC airplane to build and fly. If you can draw straight lines, use a box cutter and spread glue, you can build this plane.

And if you are breathing, you can learn to fly it, no problemo.

After this model, sure as the sun rises in the morning, you will be addicted to RC. There are tons of plans for foam sheet airplanes in these RCGroups forums to last several lifetimes of model building and flying....for cheap.

Good luck!
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:53 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,900 Posts
If you want to see what has been made using cardboard -

Click on the Search, (near the top of the page), type, cardboard, set it to Show Threads, then click Go.

It will list any threads with the word 'cardboard' in their titles, (my search came back with 101 threads). Obviously not all will be useful, so to simplify which threads to look at, don't click on the thread title but click on the tiny 'paperclip' symbol at the end of the title. This will show just the pictures that appear in the thread.
If the pictures look interesting, then have a read of the thread.

One major point, weight is the enemy of flight, and some cardboard can be heavy, so try to keep your models as light as possible, they will fly better.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
ok,i'll do that
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,171 Posts
There are materials that you have not thought of that might be available. Plastic toy bats, for sale signs and house insulation foam board. I know an island is limited on what they bring in but you might have something you could use.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,171 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702077
first time builder AND a first time flyer
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere